Page 7 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 7:59 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Where I am "going with this" is trying to pin down where you are going with your nonsense. Your hollywood theory is like my cotten candy theory-defies all evidence.

Did you read the scientific research I cited above? You think those scientists and their research are nonsense ?

Their research shows the premise of Prometheus that evolution is deterministic.

naturalplastic wrote:
But you demand folks take it seriously against that evidence- which means you are engaged in religous faith. Not the folks who dismiss your idea (which you yourself ALSO dismiss-but you fault other for dismissing it)

I never demanded anything. I asked penetrating questions, so penetrating that people had to resort to insults.

naturalplastic wrote:
The fact that it is unlikely is why scientists dont adhere to the theory. Whether we can know their intent or not is irrelevent. Given present knowledge-there is no reason to adhere to your theory (which you yourself dont take seriously either). Its not for everyone else on the thread to find faults with your theory. Its for you to find evidence to argue FOR it. You steadfastly refuse to do that. And indeed even admit to finding it unlikely yourself.

Science has a hypothesis that life on Earth originated from "extraterrestrial life". It is called "Panspermia".

"... the hypothesis that life exists throughout the Universe, distributed by meteoroids, asteroids, comets, planetoids, and also by spacecraft, in the form of unintended contamination by microbes".

source,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Im aware of panspermia. Its a notion kicked around by both scientistist and by cranks, but its not an actual 'theory" like evolution that is used as a model for research. And its not the same thing as your aliens pregramming evolution theory anyway. Panspermia is just seeding life in space and letting it do its thing. This preprogramming idea takes it beyond that, but thats another subject.

Lying doesnt help your cause.
Denying that you're demanding to be taken seriously when in fact you ARE demanding to be taken seriously is a lie.

And while we are on the subject: how come you dismiss the idea that the moon is made of cotten candy and inhabited by my little ponies with smurfs faking evidence that its made of rock? Are you disturbed by my "penetrating questions" about your "religious beliefs"?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Aug 2014, 8:15 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
This study has absolutely *nothing* to do with the Prometheus claim you keep pushing...

I am not "pushing" anything. I keep getting asked questions, and pointing out that Prometheus is not inconsistent with science theory that has been presented so far. Others think so, however, apparently.

That isn't how science works. You need to provide evidence that your claim is correct, not just say "my claim is not inconsistent with what we know". Your claim also isn't supported by what we know, so there's no reason to believe it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Lying doesnt help your cause.
Denying that you're demanding to be taken seriously when in fact you ARE demanding to be taken seriously is a lie.

I am expecting to be taken seriously, not demanding.

Why can't you say what bothers you about pre-determined evolution as presented in Prometheus? I found the beloved science that shows cellular determinism.

naturalplastic wrote:
And while we are on the subject: how come you dismiss the idea that the moon is made of cotten candy and inhabited by my little ponies with smurfs faking evidence that its made of rock? Are you disturbed by my "penetrating questions" about your "religious beliefs"?

I never dismissed it. I previously admitted that I don't know what the Moon consists of.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

Here is an interesting review of the movie Prometheus.

http://shabogangraffiti.blogspot.com/20 ... round.html

It explains rather well how this thread about evolution suddenly found itself talking about panspermia.

Quote:
In Prometheus, just as in Christian mythology, we are banished by our creators to wander alone, even as everything that we are comes from them/Him. But Prometheus not only reiterates this mythology, it also does that other quintessential job of SF: it ponders the autonomous (alienated and fetishized) product.

It's no shock that SF continually tells stories which reiterate Genesis while also thinking about the alienation of humanity from the produce of their labour. Genesis is about the alienation of humanity from nature brought by the rise of agriculture, surplus and class. SF reiterates Genesis because it is the modern cultural genre that most directly addresses the unprecedented alienation brought by capitalism, modernity, industry and technology. Genesis is about the relationship between humanity and nature, altered by tools. SF is about the constantly changing and decaying and threatening relationship between humanity and the tools themselves as they careen out of our control.

The movie tells us nothing about how life may have come to exist on earth. But it tells us a lot about how (agrarian culture) humans tend to think about the world and the things in it. As biology, it is silly. As sociology, it is rather interesting.

The snip I quoted is from the Gardeners and Engineers chapter of the review. The review unfortunately starts with the "male fear of female reproduction" which starts so many reviews of Ridley Scott movies. But the broader part that I think is relevent to this thread come in at Gardeners and Engineers.

Last edited by Janissy on 01 Aug 2014, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
This study has absolutely *nothing* to do with the Prometheus claim you keep pushing...

I am not "pushing" anything. I keep getting asked questions, and pointing out that Prometheus is not inconsistent with science theory that has been presented so far. Others think so, however, apparently.

That isn't how science works. You need to provide evidence that your claim is correct, not just say "my claim is not inconsistent with what we know". Your claim also isn't supported by what we know, so there's no reason to believe it.

I cited scientific research above that shows cellular determinism and that is premise of Prometheus.

So, what more is needed ?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:22 am

Janissy wrote:

The movie tells us nothing about how life may have come to exist on earth. But it tells us a lot about how (agrarian culture) humans tend to think about the world and the things in it. As biology, it is silly. As sociology, it is rather interesting.

You apparently never saw the movie. It shows us precisely how life came about. The black goo + xenomorph are the primordial goo in the opening sequence. And it shows how this "primordial goo" formed life. I even showed the picture in my original post.

The alien "xenomorphs" are called "engineers" because they "engineered" humanity from their own DNA. That is why we look like them. They are fantastic genetic engineers.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:26 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Janissy wrote:

You apparently never saw the movie. It shows us precisely how life came about. The black goo + xenomorph are the primordial goo in the opening sequence. And it shows how this "primordial goo" formed life. I even showed the picture in my original post.

I did see the movie. And I greatly enjoyed it. But as others have pointed out, "fictional narrative that doesn't require discarding existing evidence" is not at all the same as "what we can infer from the existing evidence".

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:29 am

Janissy wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I did see the movie. And I greatly enjoyed it. But as others have pointed out, "fictional narrative that doesn't require discarding existing evidence" is not at all the same as "what we can infer from the existing evidence".

I am not discarding "existing evidence". Actually , I cited research above, that shows the premise of Prometheus of deterministic evolution.

Evolution Is Deterministic, Not Random, Biologists Conclude From Multi-species Study
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123929.htm

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 8:54 am

TallyMan wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
TallyMan wrote:
^ I'm done wasting any more time on you. If you really want to learn about evolution you'll do it. In the mean time I'll leave you to your delusions and ignorance. I'm out of this thread. Bye.

You know I am right, so all you can do is insult me.

I am surprised ASD people would use this tactic in argument.

It isn't a tactic, I'm just sick of reading and responding to your BS. Maybe your are right, maybe ET shoved his glowing finger up your ass and you are the next evolutionary leap forward! :lol: Anyway, I've better things to do with my time...

Sounds like the basis for a funny movie script. :D

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 9:24 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
GGPViper wrote:

I am not a biologist. This does not show cellular deterministic evolution as stated in the headlines on many of the science websites ? It appears what you highlighted does come to the conclusion of cellular determinism. I am sure you realize that "stochastic processes" are random, and so the alternate observation is determinism.

primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints --> appears to be determinism ?
not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space ---> randomness ?

Genetic determinism is the premise of Prometheus.

What I highlighted did not come to the conclusion of "cellular determinism", nor "genetic determinism" for that matter. It comes to the conclusion that "developmental evolution is primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints, not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space." (as previously quoted).

And neither of the mechanisms in the study (selection or selection-independent constraints) have anything to do with your Prometheus claim. You apparently haven't the slightest idea of what these two concepts even are.

You are hijacking a scientific study - that you obviously haven't read a single word of - and misrepresenting it as evidence for your silly Hollywood claim using childish word play, sloppy definitions of terms and a non sequitur.

I might as well cite a study demonstrating the natural laws governing the electrical conductivity of clouds as evidence that a man struck by lightning has incurred the wrath of God.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

It seems "brain shutdown" as observed by many frustrated forum members is not merely the common denial by those believing in spiritual origins of mankind, but a reaction which essentially includes rejection of Scientific Method and it's conclusions which don't agree with their deity based beliefs.

This evidences a lack of and fear of scientific understanding which might refute some part of their holy training; they're very serious about this. When they were little children their parents told them so and by golly they hold those beliefs dear, and always will; this is a "fixed belief."

So showing these people an organism that has survived for billions of years............and which helped to create the first oxygen bearing atmosphere....would be a waste of time because any such "evidence" is automatically rejected as being not consistent with the teachings of the Bible. Some people believe so strongly they would rather die, and let their children die, than take medicine for illness; this is a "very" fixed belief beyond any scientific discussion or appeals to change.

There are tribes in jungles that still have not seen outside human contact. I do not feel the need to rush amongst them to praise and pass the light of science. In the same way I do not feel it's necessary to educate every person I meet. They're entitled to their "beliefs" just as much as I'm entitled to mine, even though I feel my position is more correct (in this modern scientific world).

But then this is just one aspie's view. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 9:48 am

It wasnt aliens that preprogrammed it all.

It was obviously trolls that did it.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 10:09 am

GGPViper wrote:
What I highlighted did not come to the conclusion of "cellular determinism", nor "genetic determinism" for that matter. It comes to the conclusion that "developmental evolution is primarily governed by selection and/or selection-independent constraints, not stochastic processes such as drift in unconstrained phenotypic space." (as previously quoted).

It was published in the Journal of Current Biology and the National Science Foundation, with the title of "Evolution is Deterministic, Not Random" and summary to explain deterministic evolution was happening, not randomness.

It states right on the published site I cited: "For example, they concluded that the number of cell divisions needed in vulva development declined over time -- instead of randomly increasing and decreasing. In addition, the team noted that the number of rings used to form the vulva consistently declined during the evolutionary process. These results demonstrate that, even where we might expect evolution to be random, it is not. These results demonstrate that, even where we might expect evolution to be random, it is not"

They expected a probabilistic outcome, and they got constraints determining outcome (i.e., a deterministic outcome). This is why the research titled "Evolution is Deterministic, Not Random"

You disagree with this ? The NSF website is publishing false information ? How is this not "cellular determinism?

science daily:
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 123929.htm

nsf source:
http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=110761

GGPViper wrote:
And neither of the mechanisms in the study (selection or selection-independent constraints) have anything to do with your Prometheus claim. You apparently haven't the slightest idea of what these two concepts even are.

Yes, I do. They are stated as constraints in the document you cited. That is why the researchers came to the surprise, and conclusion of determinism, rather than stochastic processes (probability) as the the determination for outcome. One would expect probability generally, not constraints.

GGPViper wrote:
You are hijacking a scientific study - that you obviously haven't read a single word of - and misrepresenting it as evidence for your silly Hollywood claim using childish word play, sloppy definitions of terms and a non sequitur.

I was told that deterministic evolution represented in Prometheus is "ridiculous", "absurd", "nonsense" and yet, I find research that the scientific principal of deterministic evolution that appears to show it is not "ridiculous", "absurd", "nonsense".

I am not a biologist so I am doing my best. Sorry. However, but you don't explain why the National Science Foundation and Journal of Current Biology, and the Science Daily would post the title and summary of a nonsense idea?

So, the concept of deterministic evolution is silly to you? Can you explain why ? NSF payed millions of dollars for such research.

What "childish word play"? I made it clear from the second post that Prometheus is evolutionary, and the difference is only pre-deterministic evolution (i.e., the aliens could put say "constraints" or whatever mechanism in the DNA to control the evolutionary process)? I repeated this assertion many times looking for an answer of why it is being refuted. This is what the premise of Prometheus is about - that the alien "engineers" who are known as fantastic genetic engineers could of programmed the DNA in the "goo" to direct evolution. So we get as I stated in the second post, pre-determined evolution. This is why in the movie they want to know why the aliens created and guided humanity to only destroy it later.

GGPViper wrote:
I might as well cite a study demonstrating the natural laws governing the electrical conductivity of clouds as evidence that a man struck by lightning has incurred the wrath of God.

I am not saying this proves anything, and perhaps the science is bogus. I only cited it as refutation to the argument that deterministic evolution represented in Prometheus is "ridiculous", "absurd", "nonsense". If it is such nonsense then why do I find research claiming otherwise? Do you hold that deterministic evolution is nonsense ? I find biology websites that say the belief is contentious among researchers, yet, everyone here seems to dismiss it out of hand with no thought , and with no explanation.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 12:27 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V_2r2n4b5c[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 12:35 pm

Evolution is a lie, because if it were true there would be no heaven and 72 wives waiting for me at the pearly gates and most of my life would be a waste because of believing in something not true so it has to be true. so I reject your claims,

ALSO, My GOD is the right god, all of yours are just fantasies you tell your selves and others and your children, there can be only one right god and he is MINE! so you better brush up on my god and pray to him or your all going to be losers and burn in ever lasting hell!

And lastly I couldnt have evolved, I am too perfect and there has to be a god that cares for me. and there has to be justice after death for all your crimes against me and mine! and the people I love that died are not just gone, their waiting for me, and I refuse to believe there is nothing left of me after death!

Last edited by AspergianMutantt on 01 Aug 2014, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2014, 12:54 pm

AspergianMutantt wrote:
Evaluation is a lie, because if it were true there would be no heaven and 72 wives waiting for me at the pearly gates and most of my life would be a waste because of believing in something not true so it has to be true. so I reject your claims,

ALSO, My GOD is the right god, all of yours are just fantasies you tell your selves and others and your children, there can be only one right god and he is MINE! so you better brush up on my god and pray to him or your all going to be losers and burn in ever lasting hell!

And lastly I couldnt have evolved, I am too perfect and there has to be a god that cares for me. and there has to be justice after death for all your crimes against me and mine! and the people I love that died are not just gone, their waiting for me, and I refuse to believe there is nothing left of me after death!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dxpMTFBg48[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList