Do you think the bible says no sex in heaven?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 10:29 pm

Conscious awareness for eternity, while being unable to do anything or care about anything, would make a great Hell if you ask me.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

The Bibles says people shouldn't be having sex until after they marry, and yet people do that all the time now, including homophobic zealots.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 8:00 am

So one thing seems certain according to Christianity: all those people are going to Hell, and anyone who makes it to Heaven having died unmarried?and hence a virgin?is in for eternal abstinence. Of course, there shouldn?t be sex in Hell, either, unless it?s about demons raping you for eternity.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 8:13 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Conscious awareness for eternity, while being unable to do anything or care about anything, would make a great Hell if you ask me.

Several science fiction writers agree with you (and so do I). I wish I could remember the names of the various short stories I've read which say that very thing (google was no help, probably because all my search terms landed me in religious blogs). It is a science fiction trope- and with good reason- that anything eternal eventually becomes hell no matter how blissful it originally seemed.

Heaven that a soul stayed in until they started to feel weary of it and then consciousness winked out of existence would be kinder.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 8:19 am

Janissy wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

Several science fiction writers agree with you (and so do I). I wish I could remember the names of the various short stories I've read which say that very thing (google was no help, probably because all my search terms landed me in religious blogs). It is a science fiction trope- and with good reason- that anything eternal eventually becomes hell no matter how blissful it originally seemed.

Heaven that a soul stayed in until they started to feel weary of it and then consciousness winked out of existence would be kinder.

You're thinking in terms of fleshy evolutionary bound experience. The only reason this happens is that our brain keeps recalibrating to keep our brains from dissolving into bliss lol. The point is that that kind of spiritual bliss would be sustained indefinitely. It wouldn't be governed by biological logic. Why is that so hard to understand?? You need to uncouple the biological processes from this one and think in philosophical terms because there is no frame of reference to discuss these kinds of things. Basically what im saying is that anything goes really. This is a spiritual reality where no positions can be refuted because the only established position is precisely that.

Im also not saying this is anyone's official position, im just projecting one possible outcome of heaven which seems to be the most logical given the statements which have been made by various religious minds on the issue.

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 8:29 am

Ectryon wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Spiderpig wrote:

You're thinking in terms of fleshy evolutionary bound experience. The only reason this happens is that our brain keeps recalibrating to keep our brains from dissolving into bliss lol. The point is that that kind of spiritual bliss would be sustained indefinitely. It wouldn't be governed by biological logic. Why is that so hard to understand?? You need to uncouple the biological processes from this one and think in philosophical terms because there is no frame of reference to discuss these kinds of things. Basically what im saying is that anything goes really. This is a spiritual reality where no positions can be refuted because the only established position is precisely that.

Im also not saying this is anyone's official position, im just projecting one possible outcome of heaven which seems to be the most logical given the statements which have been made by various religious minds on the issue.

Why that is so hard to understand is because "bliss" and "self" are rooted in biology. If the self dissolves and blends with God in eternal bliss (per some religious philosophers), then how is there any individual soul that is experiencing the bliss? The dissolution of self, which the brain fights against with recalibration here on Earth, means there is no longer any "you" that is experiencing the bliss.

Ectryon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 8:53 am

Quote:
Why that is so hard to understand is because "bliss" and "self" are rooted in biology. If the self dissolves and blends with God in eternal bliss (per some religious philosophers), then how is there any individual soul that is experiencing the bliss? The dissolution of self, which the brain fights against with recalibration here on Earth, means there is no longer any "you" that is experiencing the bliss.

I didnt mention anything about the dissolution of the self, but it is a very very interesting idea. The idea of being one mind with independently conscious parts is also a science fiction trope. Too many AI's to count are able to divide their consciousness among multiple parts. Its not inconceivable that in heaven humans are absorbed into a single divine unit whilst still maintaining a sense of self hood. Think of the shapeshifters in DS9 startrek and the "great link".

My history on this forum preserves my old and unregenerate self. In the years since I posted here I have undergone many changes. I accept responsibility for my posts but I no longer stand behind them.
And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature, and upholds all things by the word of His power When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high Hebrews 1:3

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2014, 11:54 am

Ectryon wrote:
Quote:

I didnt mention anything about the dissolution of the self, but it is a very very interesting idea. The idea of being one mind with independently conscious parts is also a science fiction trope. Too many AI's to count are able to divide their consciousness among multiple parts. Its not inconceivable that in heaven humans are absorbed into a single divine unit whilst still maintaining a sense of self hood. Think of the shapeshifters in DS9 startrek and the "great link".

I'm a Christian and generally avoid ideas such as "enlightenment" and "nirvana." But the loss of personal identity in the context of heaven is something I've often wondered about. I can't say I'd find it all that offensive if it turned out to be true.

Christian writings don't seem support the loss of identity in heaven. They just don't necessarily disqualify it, either. From what I've read in the Bible in regards to heaven and the soul, we seem to remain individual; however, the role of personal identity seems to lose its relevance in the afterlife. I don't think that the "great link" is necessarily far off the mark!

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2014, 7:58 am

Who cares about sex if you live forever doing fun stuff like slaying demons and feasting with Jesus and other biblical characters? :D