How do you all feel about platforms (not the heels?)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 1:26 am

To me they seem silly and superficial. I often wonder what's the point. I can understand advertising but what is the point of a platform? I guess some people find it the most useful way to absorb information.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 2:25 am

What are you talking about?

Okay...you are NOT talking about women's shoes. I get that. But what kind of platforms ARE you talking about?
Political platforms? Offshore oil rig platforms? Xbox platforms? Cable TV platforms? Or what?

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

17 Dec 2014, 7:59 am

Well, political discussion moves pretty fast, and everyone is trying to be the first to declare that their particular candidate has the better ideas, right?

In a fast-moving discussion, I am afraid you don't win points with the ignorant masses by saying something like, "Well, if you look at Jack Hill's voting record, he supported SR 3018, which was a large bill that included reinstating spending on unfininished roads in Eastern Pissbucket County, a public works project in the capital to draw tourism, and...

... (hours go by)

...and therefore, I conclude that Jack Hill is the best candidate for the job!"

You are dealing with people with low intelligence and short attention spans, so you have to be able to spell out for them, in 15 seconds, exactly WHO Jack Hill actually is:

"By golly, I will tell you who Jack Hill is! He supports women's issues with a moderate pro-choice stance, keeping spending devoted to growth, and condensing welfare services to what is really needed for human health!"

BAM! Yes, it's shallow, and it only tells part of the story. However, you have to understand that the average voter is shallow and rather stupid.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 2:47 pm

A platform in this case is any short statement that is usually nonsense and is only there to reel people in. No real information or anything.

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 3:18 pm

Could you give an example?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2014, 11:23 pm

"And we are going to slash taxes"

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 12:29 am

Listening to politicians is like getting your brains blow out in ultra-slow motion: A lifelong intellectual suicide.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

18 Dec 2014, 9:29 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
A platform in this case is any short statement that is usually nonsense and is only there to reel people in. No real information or anything.
Look up the word ochlocracy. The difference between ochlocracy and democracy is pretty straightforward. In a democracy, the power is held by the people, but the people have power also over themselves. They have the education and the social discipline and organization to pursue their actual goals.

For a case example, imagine imagine one local politician, Mr. Peterson, who says, "I have heard some expressions of concern about my colleague, Mr. Brown, regarding an alleged love-affair. Although I am running against Mr. Brown, my campaign committee has investigated this matter. The woman he was photographed kissing was his 61 year old aunt, who is presently bed-ridden with breast-cancer, and for the record, I think it's inappropriate for there to be so much public discussion about Mr. Brown's private business. Moving on to something more serious, I would like to discuss my concerns over Mr. Brown's decisions on a recent redistricting bill that he supported. Several residents in the affected areas have expressed a great deal of frustration..."

That's democracy. It skirts around the impulses and emotional gut-reactions of the people, and the people--and their politicians--discuss real-world issues from a sober perspective. What makes democracy different from ochlocracy is that the political leader structures the discussion so that the people can stay on-task and address their actual substantive concerns.

An example of ochlocracy would be something like this:

Mr. Jones comes up, and he says, "I and my fellow citizens are angry! We reject Mr. Brown's iniquity and sin!" and the mob behind him goes, "Yeah! Rhubarb rhubarb rhubarb!" and Mr. Jones waves his hands to encourage the mob mentality for a moment before speaking again, and he says, "Mark my words! I will be in there to FIGHT AGAINST this kind of CORRUPTION!"

Basically, I think you are correct if you are suggesting that these platforms tend more toward ochlocaracy and sound-byte language. Unfortunately, that is the state of our politics right now. The election of our government tends to be a great big poo-flinging contest and media circus, and it's hard to tell whether a platform statement actually reflects what a politician actually does or not. Often enough, they can be outright lies.

The thing is, to say it's bad to use them is sort of like taking a knife with you to a gunfight. You can make all the moral pretensions you want to, but you'll still be a dead man. I will say that you are correct, though, if you find a politician dubious if that person relies too heavily on a simplistic platform and never really discusses his or her ideas with any depth. The platform is necessary for a politician in this era of sound-byte politics, but I think it's a pretty good bet that, if there is nothing else to a politician, then that person probably didn't even have a hand in authoring it, much less making decisions based on it.

At their best, platform statements can serve as a very high-level statement of purpose that puts complex issues into a perspective that regular citizens can understand them, such as saying, "Let's make our education spending more efficient, so the kids are getting the full benefit of what we spend on their education." Well, when you discuss that in detail, you might say, "Some schools in northern Germany successfully applied a similar process in a situation that I believe is comparable. It uses..." and then explain the approach taken with a little more depth. The platform statement, in this case, is your "foot-in-the-door" to start discussing these things with more depth.