Page 6 of 11 [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 12:29 pm

1401b wrote:
Persimmonpudding wrote:
A catcall is really more related to mockery. It's a way of cheapening someone.

This is so completely untrue.
How unfortunately clueless.

No it is entirely true. You do not cat call someone you deeply respect.

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 12:33 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Do some people truly not understand that catcalling is obnoxious behavior?

They don't understand at all.

If women don't like it, if it makes them uncomfortable in any way then men should stop doing it, period.
That is what respect is, otherwise it is completely in disregard of most women's feelings which in turn is extremely disrespectful and degrading.

We have a right to voice our feelings about it and men need to respect our feelings and stop doing it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 12:42 pm

LoveforLoki wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

If women don't like it, if it makes them uncomfortable in any way then men should stop doing it, period.
That is what respect is, otherwise it is completely in disregard of most women's feelings which in turn is extremely disrespectful and degrading.

We have a right to voice our feelings about it and men need to respect our feelings and stop doing it.

Oh, I completely agree.

I'm just surprised that there are still people in 2014 who don't see an issue with a man screaming, "Hey, baby! Nice tits." to random women on the street.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 12:53 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
LoveforLoki wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Oh, I completely agree.

I'm just surprised that there are still people in 2014 who don't see an issue with a man screaming, "Hey, baby! Nice tits." to random women on the street.

Me as well. It baffles my mind how people try and justify it as a compliment. As if we are that stupid.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 1:14 pm

THE fact of the matter is some folks have empathy for their fellow human beings and respect them IN that way as PEOPLE WITH FEELINGS THAT CAN BE HURT with objectifying them as just another piece of meat in A 'MEET' MARKET WHETHER that is on a dance floor or on the sidewalks of life.

And some folks DO NOT, AND WILL NEVER GET IT, UNTIL THEY DEVELOP BASIC HUMAN EMPATHY, if they even can as science now shows that HUMANS that are not given copious amounts of flesh and blood human nurturing in the first two years of life NEVER DO, SADLY as this is as It is True.

It's why you often see this behavior more in areas of socio-economic distress where children do not receive nurturing as much in the first two years of life, or in highly 'privileged' areas where the parents are so far removed from their children in gaining 'gold' in life, that for all practical intents and purposes they do not exist.

And no, this is not just my opinion, this is the the state of the art opinion of modern science.

And this is where the science of psychology is going, in restoring basic humanity, AKA HUMAN EMPATHY, IF POSSIBLE.

LIVING a life in mechanical (machine) cognition does nothing to improve it. And science now evidences this as true too.

And this in part is why the Internet can be such a cold hard place for humanity as it truly CAN discourage the HUMAN ART OF EMPATHY, through anonymity where even faces no longer exist.

I choose empathy and Love and HELL YES IT WORKS IN EVERY WAY FOR ME in real life for SURE.

And the girls in REAL LIFE, DO LIKE IT TOO, and I HAVE REAMS OF EVIDENCE FOR THAT, for any of the naysayers out there that say good guys finish last, in the REAL GAME OF LIFE THAT IS unconditional LOVE.

And hell yes, I'm passionate about this, as truly it CAN BE A REAL LIFE SAVER IN the REAL game of life for those who CAN hear (t) it.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 29 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 1:18 pm

^ Agreed, Ahogday.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

alex
Developer
Developer

29 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

What is considered cat-calling? I was confused by the cat-calling video because some guys just said "hello" and that was considered an example of harassment in the video.

From what I can tell, some people believe the following to be true:

Apparently saying hello to a stranger on the street is considered cat-calling/harassment when it's a guy saying hi to a gal. The inverse is not considered cat-calling.

If a guy says "I love your hair" to a girl it's also considered cat-calling and seen as harassment. If a girl says it to a guy it's not considered cat-calling. I have had girls say this to me and I personally wasn't bothered by it. But apparently if a guy said the same thing to a girl, she would be bothered by it?

other people seem to think this is harmless regardless of who is saying what.

Am I incorrect in my understanding of this issue?

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 2:20 pm

I haven't seen that video but it's probably the non-verbal language that is the issue and not a respectful hello or your hair looks nice.

It's a matter of respect and what is wanted or not wanted behavior.

It's complicated. And there is definitely room for error whenever humans communicate emotion, including passion for others.

Sometimes the errors are simply misunderstandings and sometimes there is attention directed in an aggressive manner per forcing one's will on another.

That's the part I do not agree with, when a person uses their size and strength to get their way over someone else's will, even when done as verbal abuse only.

It doesn't work with me, so I have a privilege in life that many women and men in some cases do not have.

But as mentioned earlier in this thread that doesn't keep some women from trying, as they can see that a guy with "$700 shades" is not going to strike back at them, generally speaking.

If i were an African American 226LB 6 Foot dude in the bar, it would likely never happen, as it is a matter of pre-conceived notions of what MIGHT HAPPEN, WHETHER REAL or imagined.

Yes, money, color, and gender, and of course sexual orientation, and even size and strength does still count in this country, whether some folks want to admit it or not per real life consequences.

It's just human nature per the light and dark of all of it but 'we' do have 'reason' to potentially modify 'our' behavior, thank goodness, in the mix of reality as is per dark and light. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 2:56 pm

alex wrote:
Apparently saying hello to a stranger on the street is considered cat-calling/harassment when it's a guy saying hi to a gal. The inverse is not considered cat-calling.

If a guy says "I love your hair" to a girl it's also considered cat-calling and seen as harassment. If a girl says it to a guy it's not considered cat-calling. I have had girls say this to me and I personally wasn't bothered by it. But apparently if a guy said the same thing to a girl, she would be bothered by it?

The reason for that is because many women that are just average-looking or above usually have a preconceived-notion that most or all guys are "checking them out", and having sexual-thoughts about them beforehand(even if they aren't). The vast majority of times the guy doesn't say a single word to them either, so the few times he does they look for an excuse to call it "harassment". Kinda arrogant in my opinion.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 3:43 pm

Just calling someone hon can be considered catcalling.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

LoveforLoki
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2014, 4:04 pm

Venger wrote:
alex wrote:

The reason for that is because many women that are just average-looking or above usually have a preconceived-notion that most or all guys are "checking them out", and having sexual-thoughts about them beforehand(even if they aren't). The vast majority of times the guy doesn't say a single word to them either, so the few times he does they look for an excuse to call it "harassment". Kinda arrogant in my opinion.

Really unless you are a woman and have experienced what we have then you have no say on the matter.
We don't like being cat called and that is how we feel it is not arrogant and it is our right.

Men need to realize that it is not a privilege for us to be cat called.

You can not assume experience you must undergo it!
Until you become a woman and deal with it on a regular basis you have no right to down play what we go through just because you are sexist.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 5:34 pm

LoveforLoki wrote:

Really unless you are a woman and have experienced what we have then you have no say on the matter.
We don't like being cat called and that is how we feel it is not arrogant and it is our right.

Men need to realize that it is not a privilege for us to be cat called.

You can not assume experience you must undergo it!
Until you become a woman and deal with it on a regular basis you have no right to down play what we go through just because you are sexist.

Yes :!: .

The best thing about aging (maybe the one good thing) is that cat calling stopped. I miss having lots of energy and flexible knees but cat calling? So glad!! !! it's gone.

For the record, I still get harmless flattery, mainly from elderly men (per the title of the thread). But the cat calling disappeared once I crossed 40. Yay 8)

I am getting the feeling that several men in the thread have cat calling mixed up with flirting. They aren't the same at all. Flirting is meant to draw a woman in and invites mutuality. Cat calling is meant to distance. The clue is in the name--cat calling. Flirting is intimate and conversational and can't be yelled across a room. Cat calling must be....called. It is yelled because it is meant to intimidate, not engage.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

alex wrote:
What is considered cat-calling? I was confused by the cat-calling video because some guys just said "hello" and that was considered an example of harassment in the video.

I understand your confusion, but what I consider "catcalling" tends to involve men saying blatantly inappropriate things, such as, "Hey, baby, nice tits!" or "Can I fcuk you?"

This type of thing is rude and makes women uncomfortable.

That said, I don't consider men approaching women in a respectful manner to be "catcalling." For example, asking for her phone number or telling her she looks pretty.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 8:03 pm

There was a skit on SNL based on cat-calling except it was a role reversal. There were 3 women blue collar workers who would cat-call anonymous men who would walk by. It illustrated just how silly the whole concept is. (BTW, the men didn't like it either)

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 8:52 pm

alex wrote:

I often have girls telling me that they like my hair. What I find obnoxious is when strangers come over to me and ask me if they can touch my hair... or straighten it... or cut it... or [insert hair styleish thing] it...

And one time a girl asked me if she could have some of my hair...
(^apparently that isn't creepy in some peoples minds :p)

It is rather obnoxious.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2014, 10:36 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
alex wrote:

I understand your confusion, but what I consider "catcalling" tends to involve men saying blatantly inappropriate things, such as, "Hey, baby, nice tits!" or "Can I fcuk you?"

This type of thing is rude and makes women uncomfortable.

That said, I don't consider men approaching women in a respectful manner to be "catcalling." For example, asking for her phone number or telling her she looks pretty.

You seem to have misunderstood what Alex was getting at. He's essentially asking if there is a universal standard being applied or if it's based on arbitrary subjective interpretation and individual sensitivity. Your own definition, for example, is what I would consider to be almost reasonable, yet there are people who believe that saying hello to a stranger is tantamount to rape.

LoveforLoki wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
LoveforLoki wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Oh, I completely agree.

Me as well. It baffles my mind how people try and justify it as a compliment. As if we are that stupid.

Regarding the above exchange, I'd be interested in hearing LoveforLoki's definition of cat-calling. It seems probable that it will differ from your own.