Is making money on charitable foundation is a sin

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 3:31 pm

Is making money on charitable foundation is a sin, working for a charitable foundation (first job) and it feels like I've sinned?

I am Polish
I recently found a job on the internet for direct sales of office materials(mainly calendars, coloring books for children, Christmas cards and pens)
We work for the foundation to raise funds for seriously disabled children, such as cerebral palsy.

Our income is 20 commissions of sales, I wonder if making money in a charitable foundation is not a sin, I am a Christian rite Latin (Catholic), once the commandments of God were not until recently such importance for me.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/inde ... 945AAIreDU

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 4:18 am

Perhaps ask your imaginary friend if you have sinned?

Oh, and I wonder if the RCC has every made money on their foundations, hmmmmm????

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:31 pm

i don't see why it wouldn't be wrong to earn money from that, perhaps if that 20% and 80% numbers were switched (some charity..) it would be messed up.

you have a right to $$ for food and housing as well. keep doing what you're doing :)

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 3:42 pm

It is not a sin to make money working for a charitable foundation. You are entitled to fair pay for the work that you do.

Most charitable foundations work the same way as regular businesses do, in that they have expenses that are involved in running the foundation. Part of those expenses involve paying employees that are needed to do the work and raise the funds. Charitable foundations are also not to have a profit, because what *would* be profit (income minus expenses) is supposed to go towards meeting the needs of the community, in line with what the foundation was set up to do.

The fact that you get 20% of sales in fundraising is just an incentive - if you want/need to make more money in commission, you are at the same time benefiting the organization and the people it helps.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 5:27 pm

What matter is not whether is a sin, but whether you continence is clear. It is wrong to make money then donate it to charity? Well no. But people who done do have some expectations of the charity. It is you responsibility to clarify.

Charitable foundation is about the law, it cannot profit, but that doesn't mean you can't pay wages.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 5:39 pm

From 1 Tim. 5:17-18:
Scripture says, “You shall not muzzle the ox while he is threshing,” and “The laborer is worthy of his wages.”

Back in those days, some muzzled the oxen while they worked, to stop them eating the food. This verse is often used to confirm that people doing God's work deserve to be paid.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
It is not a sin to make money working for a charitable foundation. You are entitled to fair pay for the work that you do.

Most charitable foundations work the same way as regular businesses do, in that they have expenses that are involved in running the foundation. Part of those expenses involve paying employees that are needed to do the work and raise the funds. Charitable foundations are also not to have a profit, because what *would* be profit (income minus expenses) is supposed to go towards meeting the needs of the community, in line with what the foundation was set up to do.

The fact that you get 20% of sales in fundraising is just an incentive - if you want/need to make more money in commission, you are at the same time benefiting the organization and the people it helps.

My manager and mentor told not to speak to potential donor about this 20% unless they ask themselves :D