Flat Earth Society and Young Earth Creationists

Page 7 of 11 [ 163 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 8:20 pm

Oldavid wrote:
....Earth will always have gravity downwards and at right angles from it's surface.

As a small aside...
http://www.mountmacedon.org.au/places/anti-gravity-hill
I've been to this hill a couple of times. It's freakish.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 10:29 pm

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
....Earth will always have gravity downwards and at right angles from it's surface.

As a small aside...

Well, Lovecraft did place his story, The Shadow Out Of Time, in Australia, where other worldly beings called the Great Race of Yith had resided in prehistoric times. Who knows, maybe there is something to the so called lunatic fringe who say Lovecraft had been a "cosmic tuning fork," and a prophet of the New Age! :lol: :lol: :lol:

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 1:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

As a small aside...

Well, Lovecraft did place his story, The Shadow Out Of Time, in Australia, where other worldly beings called the Great Race of Yith had resided in prehistoric times. Who knows, maybe there is something to the so called lunatic fringe who say Lovecraft had been a "cosmic tuning fork," and a prophet of the New Age! :lol: :lol: :lol:
*hands your wife a pillow* There ya go now ya got a nice show to watch hehe!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 2:14 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

As a small aside...

*hands your wife a pillow* There ya go now ya got a nice show to watch hehe!

I must say, I really wasn't expecting that response! :lol:

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:29 am

Narrator wrote:
David, you really don't understand your audience in this forum. Sure, some are bound to follow the rhetoric that they have gained by osmosis, but to assume that of anyone here is the height of hubris.

Many of us have absorbed the so called "facts" and logic of the masses and come to a different conclusion because the ASD brain (generally speaking) does not do the social conformity thing. Of all the 'types' in this world, people with ASD are often the most independent thinkers. So please... don't lambast people here with your grand assumptions about where they are coming from. If anything, such assumptions are myopic and prejudicial to any debate, let alone being an assumption of your own superiority.
That's roughly what I was hoping to find on a 'spergic forum. However, my experience in a couple of 'spergic forums has been very disappointing. Maybe they don't "do the social conformity thing" at home but there is always a very aggressive cadre of supporters of the religious ideology of the shallowest popular brand of Materialism who are enthusiastic hecklers of anyone who might seriously challenge their untenable position. If there are genuinely "independent" thinkers they are most notable by their "discretion" in not exposing themselves to the derision and ridicule meted out by the hecklers.

This topic was much more fun when it could be used as a back-handed spoof of all completely subjective, relativistic opinions that are supposed to represent some kind of "personal "truth"".

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 5:36 am

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

As a small aside...
There's one of those places in the hills just East of Perth. I went there once as a teenager. A most interesting optical illusion.

Anyhow, my quip, quoted above, was intended for a laugh at the expense of the troglodytes.... not as a statement of some observed "fact".

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:39 am

Oldavid wrote:
the derision and ridicule meted out by the hecklers

And thus you expose your debating style. You play the man, not the ball. A wonderful way to get at the truth.

Oldavid wrote:
Maybe they don't "do the social conformity thing" at home but there is always a very aggressive cadre of supporters of the religious ideology of the shallowest popular brand of Materialism

By that logic, the only way to be independent in your thinking is to disagree with what's popular, even when what's popular might be right.

As a Christian of 35+ years I eventually turned to atheism. Logic and reason evolved in my mind over several years and turned me away from what was popular in my circle, despite the consequences, because I came to the conclusion I had been wrong for most of my life. If you want to continue belittling that kind of journey (not just mine), then I refer you back to your inimical need to play the man rather than the ball.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 6:46 am

Oldavid wrote:
Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

As a small aside...
There's one of those places in the hills just East of Perth. I went there once as a teenager. A most interesting optical illusion.

Anyhow, my quip, quoted above, was intended for a laugh at the expense of the troglodytes.... not as a statement of some observed "fact".

David, you don't need to explain yourself. It was an oblique diversion, not a derogation of your "quip."

And yes, optical illusions are often curious.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 7:27 am

Oldavid wrote:
Maybe they don't "do the social conformity thing" at home but there is always a very aggressive cadre of supporters of the religious ideology of the shallowest popular brand of Materialism who are enthusiastic hecklers of anyone who might seriously challenge their untenable position. If there are genuinely "independent" thinkers they are most notable by their "discretion" in not exposing themselves to the derision and ridicule meted out by the hecklers.

You haven't seriously challenged any ideas presented here nor explained why you think those ideas are untenable. You have just given adultified variations on the schoolyard taunt, "those ideas suck and you suck, you copycat". From the consistency of the "you suck, you copycat" theme, I am guessing you don't approve of people learning from other people. But you don't come right out and say it. You don't come right out and say anything that would reveal what your actual position is. You just heckle. It's quite frustrating.

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 7:45 am

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:
the derision and ridicule meted out by the hecklers

And thus you expose your debating style. You play the man, not the ball. A wonderful way to get at the truth.

Oldavid wrote:
Maybe they don't "do the social conformity thing" at home but there is always a very aggressive cadre of supporters of the religious ideology of the shallowest popular brand of Materialism

By that logic, the only way to be independent in your thinking is to disagree with what's popular, even when what's popular might be right.

As a Christian of 35+ years I eventually turned to atheism. Logic and reason evolved in my mind over several years and turned me away from what was popular in my circle, despite the consequences, because I came to the conclusion I had been wrong for most of my life. If you want to continue belittling that kind of journey (not just mine), then I refer you back to your inimical need to play the man rather than the ball.
The "ad hominem" is usually the last card played in a failed argument.

I will "belittle" that kind of journey because I've been there, done that. The difference seems to be that I was not corralled at the dead end. I never staked my credibility on fantastic fads.

Quote:
"By that logic, the only way to be independent in your thinking is to disagree with what's popular, even when what's popular might be right."
Not at all. But running with the mob is almost a guarantee of "wrongness".

What we have to ditch is that "I like itness" is synonymous with "that's what it isness". If one can "define" what's good and true by simply wanting it to be so then any kind of scientific investigation is a complete waste.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:01 am

Oldavid wrote:
I will "belittle" that kind of journey because I've been there, done that. The difference seems to be that I was not corralled at the dead end. I never staked my credibility on fantastic fads.

And David, with that I'm done with you.
As you insist on holding onto your dismissive assumptions about people, and making that your main argument for everything, there is nothing more to say.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:03 am

Quote:
Narrator"By that logic, the only way to be independent in your thinking is to disagree with what's popular, even when what's popular might be right."

Quote:
OldavidNot at all. But running with the mob is almost a guarantee of "wrongness".

No it isn't. But then neither is it a guarantee of rightness (the position you imply is held by many here). What the mob thinks gives you no data whatsoever on whether an idea is incorrect. Can you debate ideas without invoking "the mob" (the theme of all your insults) and just debate the ideas themselves, not whether or not they are popular?

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:07 am

Janissy wrote:
You haven't seriously challenged any ideas presented here nor explained why you think those ideas are untenable. You have just given adultified variations on the schoolyard taunt, "those ideas suck and you suck, you copycat". From the consistency of the "you suck, you copycat" theme, I am guessing you don't approve of people learning from other people. But you don't come right out and say it. You don't come right out and say anything that would reveal what your actual position is. You just heckle. It's quite frustrating.
Maybe I might have been slightly intimidated at one time past but not anymore.

My position is just what I've said in other threads: observable operations of the Universe preclude any possibility that nothing turns itself into everything.

Go ahead. Obfuscations, diversions, clever and completely silly mind-tricks.... I think I've seen them all.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 8:59 am

Oldavid wrote:
Janissy wrote:
Maybe I might have been slightly intimidated at one time past but not anymore.

My position is just what I've said in other threads: observable operations of the Universe preclude any possibility that nothing turns itself into everything.

Go ahead. Obfuscations, diversions, clever and completely silly mind-tricks.... I think I've seen them all.

Ok. So working backwards to kraftkortie's post about the origins of religion I am guessing that you think it's wrong because it posits religion as humanly inspired rather than divinely inspired. Why didn't you just say so? Stop playing silly mind tricks of your own and just counter-argue the post itself rather than forcing people to infer what your counter argument would be based on the knowledge that you believe in God which itself is an inference from your statement that "observable operations of the Universe preclude any possibility that nothing turns itself into something" (yay :!: an actual statement).

I think your silly mind trick is to force people to make a string of weak inferences (because so long a string) from one (infrequently stated) position just so you can say "you inferred wrong". And I'm the one who obfuscates?

Oldavid
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 10:07 am

At last some pseudonym has proposed something that is challengeable.

My simple proposition is that "a thing that does not exist cannot cause itself to exist".

Presently, I can't review previous posts and reply to them in detail. Nothing new under the Sun. I have been consistently censored (posts removed or deleted because they were inconvenient or bothersome to the "official", or "establishment") sales-pitch.

I'd like to start a new thread to deal with this business but I guess that nobody cares. Materialism is orthodoxy and no dissention will be tolerated.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2014, 3:38 am

Narrator wrote:
Oldavid wrote:

And David, with that I'm done with you.
As you insist on holding onto your dismissive assumptions about people, and making that your main argument for everything, there is nothing more to say.
Davy is afraif of science he cannot grasp it or fathom scientific facts because they go against his beliefs of magical men and sky fairies!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList