Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:16 pm

I think that's true even though humans try to rationalize and say it isn't possible for humans to sense anything they cannot see, hear, smell, touch.

If you look at animals and plants and how they behave, it's definitely true.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 2:54 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I think that's true even though humans try to rationalize and say it isn't possible for humans to sense anything they cannot see, hear, smell, touch.

Are you trying to say that our senses don't detect energy?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

Janissy wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

Are you trying to say that our senses don't detect energy?

Quite.

Additionally, what energy is it that we sense without using receptors?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 3:49 pm

There is no way to either agree, or disagree with the OP because its so vague.

If you can read these words, or see the wall behind your computer, its because your eyes can detect electromagnetic radiation (light) which is a type of energy.

You can sense heat- and know to come indoors on a day like this. Heat is a type of energy. Cold is the absence of heat energy which we sense as well.

Sound is energy. The mechanical energy of waves pulsing through the atmospheric air.

Your nose and pallet work together to taste stuff you put in your mouth- essentially detecting chemical energy in food. Food is essentially repackaged solar energy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:49 pm

It isn't possible for humans to sense anything they cannot see, hear, smell, touch or taste. Balance and body position are synthetes of these 5 senses. Sense of self and not self is an emergent phenomenon arising from our unconscious, and is dependent upon the wiring of our brains.

It is not that humans have not evolved the ability to sense "psychic" energies; it's that there are no "psychic" energies to sense.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Dec 2014, 5:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
It isn't possible for humans to sense anything they cannot see, hear, smell, touch or taste. Balance and body position are synthetes of these 5 senses.

I don't think your characterisation of the sense of balance as being a synthesis of other senses is accurate. Although site in particular certainly helps, the role of the vestibular system is not to be downplayed. Proprioception is also a sense independent of exteroception. You've also missed things like thermoreception, which does not necessarily require touch.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:47 pm

So far we are all in agreement. Humans sense energy even if it's through the five senses but how do you know there are not regions in the brain that cannot sense energy? Why would you think it can only be through touch, taste, sight, or hearing?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:12 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
... how do you know there are not regions in the brain that cannot sense energy? ...
Are there any regions of the human brain that can directly sense energy?

Evidence, Please?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:59 pm

There has been some speculative studies done, but I can't remember the detail. If I recall, it went along the lines of this: Brain activity produces output that can be measured with sensors, so why wouldn't it be possible that the brain also receives some input this way? Some animals sense the magnetic fields in the earth. Scientists still don't understand how coral can sense the exact moment when to spawn, which they all do together at a set time, but it has something to do with the lunar cycle, if I recall.

Our brains may have evolved to use reason, beyond such animal instincts, but reason may also have cloaked other more primitive senses.

It's possible....

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 9:32 pm

Possible, but not proven.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 2:02 am

Narrator wrote:
There has been some speculative studies done, but I can't remember the detail. If I recall, it went along the lines of this: Brain activity produces output that can be measured with sensors, so why wouldn't it be possible that the brain also receives some input this way? Some animals sense the magnetic fields in the earth. Scientists still don't understand how coral can sense the exact moment when to spawn, which they all do together at a set time, but it has something to do with the lunar cycle, if I recall.

Our brains may have evolved to use reason, beyond such animal instincts, but reason may also have cloaked other more primitive senses.

It's possible....

Every time I see hundreds of neighborhood Starlings, I wonder about the magnetic field thingy...not the earth's, but the electrical lines's. The Starlings love it and they do all their freaky synchronized flying around it. They like to sit on the lines near the intersection. Hundreds of birds. What is it that attracts them to the intersection?

And yet you see these big lines that go across country attached to those funky looking metal thingies and other higher voltage lines and all birds avoid those like the plague. They are never around them or anywhere nearby. Ever notice?

Isn't it odd the birds never want to roost anywhere near the cross country lines but some species are obsessed with the regular lines that take electricity to your home?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 6:59 am

As I understand it the power lines on those tall towers that take electricity to the city are not insulated. So to roost on them would be to roast on them.

The black lines on your block that go into your house are insulated (except for the highest wires on the telephone poles).

Its safe to land on them, and birds of a feather flock together, and the wires are a convenient place for a gaggle of birds to perch, and hangout together (free from kitty cat predators on the ground), and you dont have pesky leaves and branches blocking it, so the birds can see a party forming from far away, and can join in more readily than they can in a natural landing area (like in a tree). So there is not much mysterious about it.

But if you wanna play the game of "trying to explain something that already has plenty of explanations" then I would have to concede that its also possible the birds are also drawn by the muted electrical field given off by insulated wires. Like it gets them "high" or something. But I am very skeptical that electricity has anything to do with why birds perch on wires. Maybe you can get those guys on the Mythbusters TV show to test your theory.

It is true however that undersea telephone/telegraph wires on the ocean bottom get damaged from shark attacks. Sharks have organs that detect the electrical fields that living things give off, and they will mistake man made communication cables for prey and try to chow down on them.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

31 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

I don't know about starlings specifically, but Ana is right. Many animals can sense electrical energy - this is called electroreception. Detection of Earth's magnetic field is also not uncommon.

Humans can't really do this though - obviously we sense electric shocks and static electricity.

In short, animals have evolved to sense energy because it tells them about the world. Not all animals can sense the same energy, and there's nothing particularly mysterious about it. I do find it fascinating trying to imagine having senses that I don't have, and the ability to see wavelengths of the EM spectrum outside of visible light.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't know about starlings specifically, but Ana is right. Many animals can sense electrical energy - this is called electroreception. Detection of Earth's magnetic field is also not uncommon.

Humans can't really do this though - obviously we sense electric shocks and static electricity.

In short, animals have evolved to sense energy because it tells them about the world. Not all animals can sense the same energy, and there's nothing particularly mysterious about it. I do find it fascinating trying to imagine having senses that I don't have, and the ability to see wavelengths of the EM spectrum outside of visible light.

My question to you is, how do you know humans cannot sense it, to some extent? We see humans living close to those high voltage lines so they must not perceive it to the point it would be impossible to live near them like birds and other animals seem to.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:23 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

My question to you is, how do you know humans cannot sense it, to some extent? We see humans living close to those high voltage lines so they must not perceive it to the point it would be impossible to live near them like birds and other animals seem to.

We know that we dont sense it because....we dont sense it!
Duhhhhh! :D

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2014, 8:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

We know that we dont sense it because....we dont sense it!
Duhhhhh! :D

You don't know if you sense it or not...because you don't know what sensing it actually is like or what it means...so you could sense it without realizing it and it is affecting what you know or how you think.