Page 7 of 11 [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 10:49 am

Adamantium wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
so I think it is sufficient for one to try and live a good life - peacefully and with care for others - and call themselves a Muslim. The Quran is a guide for us to try and refine ourselves in that, although many people like taking verses out of context.

So what about all this stuff about apostasy and blasphemy?

To me, Islam is a human social construct and the Koran a book, written by humans. I hear the story about the prophet's first experienced of hearing voices in a cave and I wonder, "was this man schizophrenic?" It is a reasonable question, given what we know, but I hear that this natural intellectual inquiry should be off limits and asking it should be punishable by death. This seems insane and hypocritical.

I understand religious feeling, I have had bouts of it myself, but god never chose to reveal any definitive truth to me. The sum of my "spiritual" experiences suggests to me that they are a product of the emotional component of my mind and have some neurological basis.

The question I always want to ask religious people is: why does god need your book and socio-political organization? Why not communicate directly with the minds of all sentient beings and reveal the truth directly to them. The obvious answer is that the god described by the books does not exist and the socio-political organizations keep promoting their own fabrications about this being in order to further their political goals.

If a god of the kind discussed by muslims and christians exists, I would welcome any information about that being directly from that being. Weirdly, the "believers" seem to think their god is not capable of such communication, except some of the time, or maybe he needs to test people by seeing if they are faithful enough to believe the right book and join the right supporters club.

Another thing about religious people is that they seem to spend most of their time exhorting each other to be strong in their faith, suggesting that they really don't believe but are trying to talk themselves into it.

How can someone come to believe in or love this apparently imaginary being without being able to freely mentally explore the concepts around it? The whole business of faith makes no objective sense at all.

I want to live a good life but would not call myself a muslim unless I believed the tenets of the faith--and they seem like a second rate pastiche of Judaism and Christianity to me.

I feel free to ask questions about your or anyone else's accounts of their faith. Some people who claim to be the true representatives of your faith are saying this should be punished. That's a big problem. The Charlie Hebdo story seems to be about people who claim to believe and defend your faith killing people like me simply for thinking, talking and drawing freely.

There are many things described in the Quran that science was not to discover until over a thousand years after the book was revealed, and which would have been impossible to know without technology such as microscopes. I don't feel like going into the details, but google "miracles of the quran" and you'll probably find a more eloquent explanation than I can provide ;) (along with some hilarious and not so eloquent ones lol)

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 11:13 am

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
In Islam everyone is considered a Muslim from birth until they state otherwise.
In which most cases they are executed for apostasy.
In my view anyone who would kill another - for "apostasy" or otherwise - would be an apostate themselves, as they would not only be rejecting peace (which is at the core of an Islamic lifestyle) but attempting to raise themselves to the level of God, who is the only one qualified to judge another.

You are not a Muslim if you reject Islamic law. You should now be put to death for apostasy according to Sharia.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 11:17 am

Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
In my view anyone who would kill another - for "apostasy" or otherwise - would be an apostate themselves, as they would not only be rejecting peace (which is at the core of an Islamic lifestyle) but attempting to raise themselves to the level of God, who is the only one qualified to judge another.

You are not a Muslim if you reject Islamic law. You should now be put to death for apostasy according to Sharia.

I disagree. I would also expect a higher level of argument/intellectual reasoning on this forum than some of the posts I've seen...

22, entrepreneurial and diagnosed with High Functioning Autism, ADHD, OCD and Tourettes. Also have problems with Anxiety, and more recently depression, although I seem to returning to my optimistic self =)

Humanaut
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 11:23 am

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
I disagree.

Yes, you've already made it clear that you disagree with Sharia. You're not a Muslim by definition, and you should not pretend to be speaking on behalf of Islam.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 11:24 am

Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Humanaut wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

I disagree.

Yes, you've already made it clear that you disagree with Sharia. You're not a Muslim by definition, and you should not pretend to be speaking on behalf of Islam.

Did you read anything else I wrote, or do you just hone in to whatever backs up your predefined narrative?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 11:29 am

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
There are many things described in the Quran that science was not to discover until over a thousand years after the book was revealed, and which would have been impossible to know without technology such as microscopes. I don't feel like going into the details, but google "miracles of the quran" and you'll probably find a more eloquent explanation than I can provide ;) (along with some hilarious and not so eloquent ones lol)

I have looked deeply into such claims and they are bull. You get rubbish like the "speed of angels is the speed of light" but nowhere in the koran is the speed of light, or the relationship between energy and matter, given.

Nowhere does the Koran explain anything about the standard model. Nothing useful about atomic theory, particles, forces. No accurate geography, tectonics (just poetic tosh about the "roots of mountains" and "pillars of the earth"). No useful astronomy or cosmology. No real medicine, biology, chemistry, or physics. It just isn't there.

Another funny thing about these sites is that they claim that recent scientific discoveries and theories such as dark matter, are in the Koran--but they were not listed as among the miracles of the koran until after they were discussed in the popular press-and there is no information to be found in the book that is not already known, e.g., the Koran has nothing to say about the higgs, and so on.

And you have avoided the entire question of criminalizing intellectual freedom. Why punish an attempt to discern truth? It's pathetic.

I respect your right to identify with and revere nonsense, but no one has the right to demand that I pretend to believe it too.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 11:40 am

Adamantium wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:
And you have avoided the entire question of criminalizing intellectual freedom. Why punish an attempt to discern truth? It's pathetic.

I respect your right to identify with and revere nonsense, but no one has the right to demand that I pretend to believe it too.

Where have I demanded you believe anything? In fact have even stated that I believe religion is between man and god, and so implied that I view your personal beliefs as none of my business...

And yes, I did mention many of those sites are also full of bull, hence the "hilarious and not so eloquent ones".

And on the topic of intellectual freedom, I am in full support of it, whether it's offensive or not. No idea is above scrutiny, and I personally believe that constantly questioning even my own beliefs is an important part of becoming a better person.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 12:21 pm

I should also mention that while I don't speak for all muslims, most of the muslims in my mosque (who are mainly sunni) are of similar convictions on many of my points, such as tolerance.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 12:37 pm

eleventhirtytwo wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
eleventhirtytwo wrote:

Where have I demanded you believe anything? In fact have even stated that I believe religion is between man and god, and so implied that I view your personal beliefs as none of my business...

And yes, I did mention many of those sites are also full of bull, hence the "hilarious and not so eloquent ones".

And on the topic of intellectual freedom, I am in full support of it, whether it's offensive or not. No idea is above scrutiny, and I personally believe that constantly questioning even my own beliefs is an important part of becoming a better person.

Ok, then I consider you my brother.

So, how do we deal with the problem of the Apostasy/Blasphemy requires death people?

I find interesting diversity in Muslim perspectives on this: http://www.islamicperspectives.com/apostasy1.htm
Though there are still problems there (e.g., "O you who believe! Do not take for friends and allies (even) your fathers and your brothers if they love disbelief more than faith: if any of you do so, they are the wrong doers")

But the Salafists disagree altogether. They think it makes sense to "defend the prophet" by killing people who question or mock. Can we make them tolerate what they feel is intolerable? it seems unlikely.

eleventhirtytwo
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Jan 2015, 2:49 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Ok, then I consider you my brother.

So, how do we deal with the problem of the Apostasy/Blasphemy requires death people?

I find interesting diversity in Muslim perspectives on this: http://www.islamicperspectives.com/apostasy1.htm
Though there are still problems there (e.g., "O you who believe! Do not take for friends and allies (even) your fathers and your brothers if they love disbelief more than faith: if any of you do so, they are the wrong doers")

But the Salafists disagree altogether. They think it makes sense to "defend the prophet" by killing people who question or mock. Can we make them tolerate what they feel is intolerable? it seems unlikely.

The "aspostasy/blasphemy requires death" people have existed in other religions before, such as Christianity, and were often a result of their sociopolitical landscape/the propaganda of their governments/suppression through ineffective educational establishments.

With the rise of democracy and better education systems in more Muslim countries I hope that viewpoint will become something only discussed in history lessons. However, that doesn't account for the people with these beliefs in countries no longer under totalitarian rule, although I'd normally categorise them as those who are either the type of muslim who follows what their parents (who did live in such conditions) believed without question or - and sorry to sound elitist - vulnerable (often working class) muslims being manipulated by foreign powers such as Saudi Arabia (who have been pushing the corruption of Wahhabism across the world for the past century in a bid to further their own aims and interests).

And in reference to surah 9:23, I think the key word is "love" disbelief. That infers that they "believe" something not for the perceived truth in it, but for the convenience of believing it, which is a different thing altogether than just disbelieving in it. From my experience when someone uses convenience as the deciding factor of belief, they tend to have a guilt complex and so try to push their "beliefs" onto others, which can be a rather unpleasant experience (you see scary things in university halls of residence).

I have seen translations of the Quran that try to remove the word "love", although I think that is often to back up the ideas of the person doing the translation (the same thing responsible for the word "leave" being mistranslated as "hit" in many versions of the Quran translated in Saudi and other misogynistic conservative nations). Most translations do include the word "love" or a synonym though (I should note that not even Arabic copies escape these corruptions due to the translation from classical Arabic to the numerous modern derivatives that exist today).

I fear I'm getting wordy lol, I should be getting back to revising for an exam... Later bro! ;)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

Good luck with the exam!

And thank you for posting your thoughts here--It's very good to read thoughts like these at this time.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
So, where are our Islamist members? Why aren't they here, telling us how much of a wonderfully peaceful religion Islam is?

http://www.islam21c.com/special/a-james ... rliehebdo/

My deviant art profile

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:25 pm

Christians and especially pro Zionist Christians who bash Islam should read this

My deviant art profile

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 8:33 pm

While heated in the moment, one should always remember it's not right to blame an entire religion for an attack like this.

I've been guilty of saying horrid things that I shall not repeat, but only to realize after that I was being brash in the moment. There are fundamentalists everywhere, no matter which religion. Even then I wouldn't even consider them religious, just people very messed up in the head that need to be put away for life for committing crimes like this.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 9:56 pm

thomas81 wrote:
Christians and especially pro Zionist Christians who bash Islam should read this

Very true. While I have issues with much of Islam's teachings, its veneration of Jesus is admirable while certain Jews (especially in Israel) are quite hostile to Christians there http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/1.589569 . Hate crimes against Christians in Israel are remarkable. Christians who know this are few, but they appreciate the shared respect for Jesus.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2015, 10:12 pm

SweetTooth wrote:
It's a good time to update my avatar.

what does the French text in your avatar say?