Page 6 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 16  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:42 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
1. There is no evidence that the expelled kids did any discrimination, so this is not about discrimination.

2. There are "black fraternities", "Hispanic fraternities" ... that tend to be 100% of a race. You can't just assume discrimination. There must be a victim..

3.Just because a member of an all-black fraternity tells his friends "no whites allowed in this fraternity" doesn't mean he is involved in the selection process, and that what he says even true. Words are just words.

4. Discrimination is not hypothetical; it either happened or it didn't.

This all about free speech. They should sue them. It is a travesty to see a so called university shut down free thinking people. Make an example of this school and put them in the law books for the entire country to study.

I'll allow the great Barney Frank to retort since this pretty much works for ALL your posts...

:P
:lol:

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:47 pm

Actually to be honest I don't really understand all the talk about white privilege in today's society. The term white privilege implies that white people have rights in this country that no other race has. When some of our top government officials are black and there are black doctors, lawyers, and many other rich and powerful people of other races, I really don't see what it is in our society that white people can do that no other race can.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:50 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I am pretty sure the university has policies prohibiting discrimination based on a person's race and it applies to housing. Saying a black person cannot ever be a part of SAE is against the university's policies of not discriminating based on a person's race.

Yes, but no evidence that any discrimination ever occurred, and no evidence that the expelled kids were involved with the member selection process.

Legally, it comes down to a free speech case.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
1. There is no evidence that the expelled kids did any discrimination, so this is not about discrimination.

2. There are "black fraternities", "Hispanic fraternities" ... that tend to be 100% of a race. You can't just assume discrimination. There must be a victim..

3.Just because a member of an all-black fraternity tells his friends "no whites allowed in this fraternity" doesn't mean he is involved in the selection process, and that what he says even true. Words are just words.

4. Discrimination is not hypothetical; it either happened or it didn't.

This all about free speech. They should sue them. It is a travesty to see a so called university shut down free thinking people. Make an example of this school and put them in the law books for the entire country to study.

It's about the way things are going in that chapter. That is what it's about. Everybody knows what is going on there they took it too far they paid the price. Wouldn't surprise me if someone got onto them already but certain members of that stubborn, hateful alumni refused to listen and BOOM Epsi-gone. Sometimes, people really should listen to those around them. They have no grounds for a lawsuit. No one likes the negativity they brought, they were creating rancor and hostility with their chants, so they got booted by the University AND the fraternity, a united front. That's a strong message to send and the wise person heeds that message and straightens up, not go hire some white supremist/racist/convicted-now-executed terrorist's attorney to represent them which will only serve to make them look more ridiculous considering this alumni is in Oklahoma.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 14 Mar 2015, 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:54 pm

wowiexist wrote:
Actually to be honest I don't really understand all the talk about white privilege in today's society. The term white privilege implies that white people have rights in this country that no other race has. When some of our top government officials are black and there are black doctors, lawyers, and many other rich and powerful people of other races, I really don't see what it is in our society that white people can do that no other race can.

Well, the main thing that your typical white person can do that many blacks cannot is RECEIVE THE BENEFIT OF A DOUBT.

Do you remember your post about blacks being criminals and it being up to them to convince everyone that they aren't?

Try getting a job when every HR person you see thinks you're probably a criminal.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 12:58 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
I'll allow the great Barney Frank to retort since this pretty much works for ALL your posts...

:

I cited legal experts and your response is an attempt to ridicule these experts with a stupid youtube video.

Right ....you know what your talking about. :roll:

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:01 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
[
They have no grounds for a lawsuit. No one likes the negativity they brought, they were creating rancor and hostility with their chants, so they got booted by the University AND the fraternity, a united front. That's a strong message to send and the wise person heeds that message and straightens up, not go hire some white supremist/racist/convicted-now-executed terrorist's attorney to represent them which will only serve to make them look more ridiculous considering this alumni is in Oklahoma.

You too are dismissing the legal experts. MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT, or maybe if they sued they would lose. That is how the law works - you never know. However, you are dismissing their fist amendment rights to speak hate speech.

Several legal experts have commented that they would almost certaintly win at the Supreme Court, so yes, there is grounds for a lawsuit.

Some WP members know more than lawyers who are experts in their field.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
wowiexist wrote:

Well, the main thing that your typical white person can do that many blacks cannot is RECEIVE THE BENEFIT OF A DOUBT.

Do you remember your post about blacks being criminals and it being up to them to convince everyone that they aren't?

Try getting a job when every HR person you see thinks you're probably a criminal.

There are plenty of black people who have no problem getting jobs. If it is so hard why are so many able to do it? If a black person believes they have been discriminated against then there are legal avenues that they can take. As far as my earlier post that was more about racial profiling. There are people complaining that blacks get arrested more, but of course they are going to get arrested more if they commit more crime. What do we have to do, put a limit on how many of each race can be arrested?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:09 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:

:

I cited legal experts and your response is an attempt to ridicule these experts with a stupid youtube video.

Right ....you know what your talking about. :roll:

Except this isn't a free speech issue, dear. Nobody is saying these children cannot say what they want. The issue here is offensive behavior, plain and simple.

The national board of SAE suspended the local chapter for violating rules of behavior. The president of OU ordered the frat off of university property for violating the student code of conduct.

Nobody arrested these people or put them in jail... They are still free to say anything they like.

What they ARE NOT free to do in act in an obscene manner without facing consequences.

Have a nice day. :D

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:20 pm

wowiexist wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
wowiexist wrote:

There are plenty of black people who have no problem getting jobs. If it is so hard why are so many able to do it? If a black person believes they have been discriminated against then there are legal avenues that they can take. As far as my earlier post that was more about racial profiling. There are people complaining that blacks get arrested more, but of course they are going to get arrested more if they commit more crime. What do we have to do, put a limit on how many of each race can be arrested?

Welcome to my parlor...

So, if it is okay for police to profile, why isn't it okay for employers to profile as well? Hell, if I'm running a business I don't want criminals working for me!! !

So, why shouldn't HR people profile too?

And if you happen to be one of those RARE, HONEST, black people who IS being profiled by an HR person, how do you prove it?

If you need a job, where do you get the money for a lawyer?

And more importantly, HOW DO YOU SUPPORT YOURSELF IF YOU CANNOT GET A LEGITIMATE JOB?

Might not some honest people be forced to resort to crime?

That's the Thomas Theorem in action.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:21 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
[
They have no grounds for a lawsuit. No one likes the negativity they brought, they were creating rancor and hostility with their chants, so they got booted by the University AND the fraternity, a united front. That's a strong message to send and the wise person heeds that message and straightens up, not go hire some white supremist/racist/convicted-now-executed terrorist's attorney to represent them which will only serve to make them look more ridiculous considering this alumni is in Oklahoma.

You too are dismissing the legal experts. MAYBE YOU ARE RIGHT, or maybe if they sued they would lose. That is how the law works - you never know. However, you are dismissing their fist amendment rights to speak hate speech.

Several legal experts have commented that they would almost certaintly win at the Supreme Court, so yes, there is grounds for a lawsuit.

Some WP members know more than lawyers who are experts in their field.

What this country needs to understand is, yes you have the right, but you must own up to what you say. You CAN say it but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. You gotta accept what your words create because that's part of the deal. If you harass someone long enough after they warn you to f off, they are going to turn around and smash you and it will be your own fault but yes, you are perfectly free to harass and harass but others should be equally free to respond. So if you want to carry on with such behavior, fine, but the University and Fraternity should be allowed to respond to it especially since what they were doing has nothing at all to do with the description of a True Gentleman.

Take a look at this forum, for example. It has rules people are expected to follow regarding free speech and the owner of the forum reserves the right to boot you if you do not abide by the rules. Would take it to the supreme court if you were booted from the forum?

What about movies? No one under 17 is allowed into an R rated movie. Would you say that is a violation of freedom of speech and take that to the Supreme Court? I know they involve private companies but isn't it the government that says no one under 17 is admitted? Isn't that imposing on freedoms of expression?

How about libraries? They will hush people for being loud. Is it a library's right to demand people be quiet when there?

Universities could be argued, are public, however keep in mind we all must PAY a boatload of money to go to them so what is someone paying for? A quality education or a hateful, hostile environment? The Greeks can exist without being hateful even though they are exclusive, pretty much, and wish to create that micro-environment, but why not act the true Gentleman in the process and do the hush up? Gentlemen know when to be quiet. When you consider this fraternity closed it's own chapter it must have been worse than what we are seeing. Do you honestly believe the school would act over one isolated incident? No. There's more to this than meets the eye.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
wowiexist wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
wowiexist wrote:

Welcome to my parlor...

So, if it is okay for police to profile, why isn't it okay for employers to profile as well? Hell, if I'm running a business I don't want criminals working for me!! !

So, why shouldn't HR people profile too?

And if you happen to be one of those RARE, HONEST, black people who IS being profiled by an HR person, how do you prove it?

If you need a job, where do you get the money for a lawyer?

And more importantly, HOW DO YOU SUPPORT YOURSELF IF YOU CANNOT GET A LEGITIMATE JOB?

Might not some honest people be forced to resort to crime?

That's the Thomas Theorem in action.

If that black person sued a company they thought was discriminating again them chances are the company would settle out of court because they don't want the negative publicity. In this country I do not see why someone would be forced into crime. We have government programs as well as charities to make sure that people are taken care of. Getting a job can be hard for anybody regardless of race. Just because someone has a hard time finding a job doesn't mean they are being discriminated against. I am while and I had to work for years in low paying jobs, and even work two jobs for a period of time before I finally found a better job.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

wowiexist wrote:

If that black person sued a company they thought was discriminating again them chances are the company would settle out of court because they don't want the negative publicity. In this country I do not see why someone would be forced into crime. We have government programs as well as charities to make sure that people are taken care of. Getting a job can be hard for anybody regardless of race. Just because someone has a hard time finding a job doesn't mean they are being discriminated against. I am while and I had to work for years in low paying jobs, and even work two jobs for a period of time before I finally found a better job.

Are you a white, healthy, male? Then how would you possibly know what it is like to be a black man, a woman, or someone that has an impairment of some kind? How would you know what it is like for them trying to find and keep employment?

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 1:48 pm

wowiexist wrote:

Dude, you are tempting me to post Barney Frank again.

Discrimination cases are not easy to prove unless someone does something extremely blatant and stupid. All it takes is shit-canning an application with a Black-sounding name. And, that happens all the time- http://www.nber.org/digest/sep03/w9873.html .

Lawyers don't work for free and they don't take cases on contingency unless they're slam-dunks.

Step into the real world and see how it works, or remain willfully ignorant. It's your choice.

PS

Concerning the safetynet...

Bill Clinton and Newt pretty much dismantled that. Only about 30-40% of the unemployed actually qualify for unemployment and what passes for welfare, TANF, has a 5 year lifetime benefit cap.

So, if you plan to live more than 5 years in the US you must work at something.

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 2:06 pm

Fine I will just be done with this conversation. You can deny what I am saying is true if you would like. Blacks can keep playing the race card as far as I am concerned. It isn't going to help them in the long run though.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2015, 2:15 pm

wowiexist wrote:
Fine I will just be done with this conversation. You can deny what I am saying is true if you would like. Blacks can keep playing the race card as far as I am concerned. It isn't going to help them in the long run though.

Forgive me for giving actual research more weight than your anecdotes.... It's just one of my irrational biases, I guess. :P