Mortality vs. Immortality ~ Analysis of Reality vs. Theory ~

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

hilaryy_renee_
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2015, 2:22 am

Hello everyone,

I recently wrote a college English 102 essay, describing my own personal analysis of mortality vs. immortality, while connecting this with various literary works (poetry). I just thought I'd share part of my essay introduction.

"A basic concept of life can be understood through this philosophical theory – mortality is not to immortality nor is immortality to mortality. In other words, mortal beings are not meant to be immortal. If we are truly meant to be immortal beings, the basic elements and theories of life itself would not align with one another. When it comes to portraying and analyzing both mortality and immortality in literature, these two philosophical concepts are implemented in various ways. Mortality is sequential, meaning that there is a fixed process that all people experience throughout their life - we are born, we live, we die. This sequential process is different for every individual; no one experiences the same life. Mortality has a subtle beauty to it; it provides us with the beauty of life itself, the beauty of living. Along with the beauty of mortality, one has the understanding that they are ultimately susceptible to death. The fear of death is not uncommon amongst our modern society; this fear is capable of leading us to an ultimate desire to possess immortality. We have a longing to be remembered, to be "immortal" in the eyes of others. Some may argue that the concept of immortality means to physically live for eternity; this, in itself, is simply an idea, a theory. It cannot be applied to life here on earth, because we are indeed, mortal beings."

Does anyone else have any additional thoughts ? I would love to hear them !
Thanks for reading !

~ Hilary ~

Last edited by hilaryy_renee_ on 11 May 2015, 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 2:24 am

good to see another realist on the forums.

alex
Developer
Developer

11 May 2015, 6:46 pm

Great essay