Page 3 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

AmericanCivilWar.com wrote:
...The statistics show that, when free, blacks disproportionately became slave masters....

AmericanCivilWar.com: "Dixie's Censored Subject: Black Slaveowners" (1997)
( http://www.americancivilwar.com/authors ... owners.htm )

This isn't be a game-changer, but I am left wondering if it should be.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 1:27 pm

That only 1.4% of people could afford to own other people comes as no surprise.

What percentage of people now have full time help?

It does not surprise me if there were some black slave owners. Bad people come in all colors.

What we are talking about though is systemic and institutional racism, which it turns out was what the founding fathers of the confederacy said their secession was about.

Just because kanye west has the bad taste to wear a jacket with a confederate flag patch - and buckskin moccasins i might add - doesn't change the reality of the overarching situation.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 Jun 2015, 1:56 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

It does not surprise me if there were some black slave owners. Bad people come in all colors.

What we are talking about though is systemic and institutional racism, which it turns out was what the founding fathers of the confederacy said their secession was about.

Just because kanye west has the bad taste to wear a jacket with a confederate flag patch - and buckskin moccasins i might add - doesn't change the reality of the overarching situation.

Absolutely, there are bad people of every color so to single out white people which so many of these SJWs do is wrong. Slaves were sold into slavery by other Africans and there were black slave owners too, most black people in this country are actually biracial and are about 30% white and that probably disproportionately comes from slave owners as opposed to all the white people didn't that didn't even migrate to this country yet but still get slapped with the stain of slavery and racism. I don't see many black people with German names in this country. Its wrong to blame or hold people accountable for things that they themselves had nothing to do with, collective guilt is what racism is built on. Even if we're talking blood, then the family I did have in this country at the time volunteered to fight in the Union Army and so why am I more responsible for slavery than someone that actually have slave owner blood? I think its all dumb.

The Confederacy was America and that people that fought for it were American, they deserve recognition. The Civil War was deadliest war in American history, it was brother killing brother and I think its wrong to sanctify one and demonize the other. They weren't traitors, most of them never owned a single slave, and were just fighting because their state called upon them. None of us are without sin, the Union did and has since persecuted minorities and committed war cimes. There are no good guys in war, it pretty much never is black and white like that and the winner is who writes the historical narrative.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 2:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
...there were black slave owners too, most black people in this country are actually biracial and are about 30% white and that probably disproportionately comes from slave owners....

ABCNews.Go.com wrote:
We all know about racism, about whites discriminating against blacks. The prevelance of "colorism" -- black on black discrimination, is less known, but it's an open secret in the black community....

ABCNews.Go.com: "Skin-Deep Discrimination" (March 4, 2005)
( http://abcnews.go.com/2020/GiveMeABreak/story?id=548303 )

So, it appears that, while much less prevalent, discrimination against black Americans sometimes comes from other black Americans. Where is the outrage?

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 2:32 pm

No they really were traitors, and really did commit acts of treason.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 2:38 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Well then, someone should do a little genealogical research to determine who they were and who their descendants are now. If the descendants of white slave owners can be hounded for "reparations," should we demand inclusion of the descendants of black "traitors" among those who would owe such reparations?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 2:45 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

They'd be traitors if they didn't support their state

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:12 pm

Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Absolutely, there are bad people of every color so to single out white people which so many of these SJWs do is wrong. Slaves were sold into slavery by other Africans and there were black slave owners too, most black people in this country are actually biracial and are about 30% white and that probably disproportionately comes from slave owners as opposed to all the white people didn't that didn't even migrate to this country yet but still get slapped with the stain of slavery and racism. I don't see many black people with German names in this country. Its wrong to blame or hold people accountable for things that they themselves had nothing to do with, collective guilt is what racism is built on. Even if we're talking blood, then the family I did have in this country at the time volunteered to fight in the Union Army and so why am I more responsible for slavery than someone that actually have slave owner blood? I think its all dumb.

The Confederacy was America and that people that fought for it were American, they deserve recognition. The Civil War was deadliest war in American history, it was brother killing brother and I think its wrong to sanctify one and demonize the other. They weren't traitors, most of them never owned a single slave, and were just fighting because their state called upon them. None of us are without sin, the Union did and has since persecuted minorities and committed war cimes. There are no good guys in war, it pretty much never is black and white like that and the winner is who writes the historical narrative.

Absolutely, collective guilt is a load of sh*t, but neither should we just forget the wrongs done to our fellow citizens just because we weren't personally guilty.
As for the fact that most Confederate soldiers hadn't owned slaves - sure, but most Germans fighting in the ranks of the Wermacht weren't Nazis, either. But that hardly absolves the German cause, no more than the Confederate cause should be absolved.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Absolutely, collective guilt is a load of sh*t, but neither should we just forget the wrongs done to our fellow citizens just because we weren't personally guilty.
As for the fact that most Confederate soldiers hadn't owned slaves - sure, but most Germans fighting in the ranks of the Wermacht weren't Nazis, either. But that hardly absolves the German cause, no more than the Confederate cause should be absolved.

And the germans have the good sense to recognize the sins of their fathers.

A few years ago, when Germany was doing well in the world cup, a naturalized citizen lebanese-german baker in germany was really, really excited about it.

So he bought a big german flag and hung it from the side of his building.

Someone took it down. He put up another. Someone took it down. He put up yet another. Someone set it on fire.

He didn't understand. He loves Germany. Germany is the best thing that ever happened to him. He's proud and grateful that his children are growing up German citizens.

But nationalism is a frightening thing in Germany. Bad things happen in Germany when people start flying flags too proudly. People tried to explain to him, they just don't DO that there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 11:05 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

A few years ago, when Germany was doing well in the world cup, a naturalized citizen lebanese-german baker in germany was really, really excited about it.

Someone took it down. He put up another. Someone took it down. He put up yet another. Someone set it on fire.

He didn't understand. He loves Germany. Germany is the best thing that ever happened to him. He's proud and grateful that his children are growing up German citizens.

But nationalism is a frightening thing in Germany. Bad things happen in Germany when people start flying flags too proudly. People tried to explain to him, they just don't DO that there.

Nationalism can be an ugly thing, anywhere, when only certain physical types are acceptable.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 11:24 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

Absolutely, there are bad people of every color so to single out white people which so many of these SJWs do is wrong.Uh Slaves were sold into slavery by other Africans and there were black slave owners too, most black people in this country are actually biracial and are about 30% white and that probably disproportionately comes from slave owners as opposed to all the white people didn't that didn't even migrate to this country yet but still get slapped with the stain of slavery and racism. I don't see many black people with German names in this country. Its wrong to blame or hold people accountable for things that they themselves had nothing to do with, collective guilt is what racism is built on. Even if we're talking blood, then the family I did have in this country at the time volunteered to fight in the Union Army and so why am I more responsible for slavery than someone that actually have slave owner blood? I think its all dumb.

In other words, theft and arson are okay but nationalism is bad. :roll:

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 11:27 pm

Raptor wrote:

Didn't say theft and arson are ok.

Just that some german person thought they'd rather go down for theft or arson than see that kind of display.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 4:21 am

The Confederate Cause was the right to property, which had been the law of the land since before the American Revolution. It was upheld in The Louisiana Purchase, where in a Treaty between Nations, The Napoleonic Code was retained. Louisiana still is Napoleonic Code. That Code has slavery.

"No Person shall be deprived of Property except by Due Process of Law, in a Court of Competent Jurisdiction."

It is the same as Obama deciding to rewrite the Constitution. By order of the President, all guns must be turned in to the Police now, and any found with a gun will be shot. All houses will be subject to search without warrant or notice. Freedom of Speech does not apply to objecting to Presidential Orders. Protestors will be shot.

Even under Imminent Domain, property seized will be paid a fair market value.

Capital invested in slaves was a legal investment, so it is the same as saying all Land Title reverts to the Government, and some may be allowed to rent it.

Upholding the Property Rights of Citizens is the First Obligation of Government.

Upholding the Constitution is the Oath all members of government must Swear to before taking office.

The Government took ownership of slaves, and shipped a lot to Liberia. They were not Citizens, and not asked if they wanted to go, they were just put on ships.

The Government did not free slaves and make them Citizens, they called them Contraband, something no one could own, and abandoned them. Nobody got the promised 40 acres and a mule, and a bag of gold.

Nobody got food, clothing, education, or a roof over their head.

It was like the Government now taking all land and housing, and setting people free in the streets.

Separate but equal schools were set up by white southerners. The Northern Government of occupation did nothing to educate Blacks. All employment was provided by White Southerners. They also provided food and clothing.

150 years later most Blacks live in the South. They will tell you, a KKK Cracker can be gotten along with, they will speak plainly, deals can be made. Northern people love the downtrodden, and rob them blind.

This Freedom has not worked according to the promise. Black people are at a disadvantage. Overall they have a lower IQ, but 75% are as smart as white people. 75% are church going workers raising families. They are also culturally Southern. We both think Yankees lie.

Black People of my generation, I am 70, had a Forth Grade Education. They got their children through High School. That generation got their children through College. The current generation is going for Grad School and the Professions. They are rising, so are Native Americans.

The Civil Rights Act, 1963, and giving Citizenship to Native Americans, 1974, was the National Government removing barriers they enacted in the first place. Blacks were not allowed guns during WWII, they could be cooks, load and unload trucks, but not drive them. A cook in Pearl Harbor got in trouble for manning an anti aircraft gun when the gun crew was killed. Negros were not allowed to fight back.

Native Americans were Hostile Combatants, Prisoners of War, for generations. Their status was Ward of the Government. Now Citizens since 1974. The last Indian War, Chief Joseph in 1895.

By those rules, we would still have Japanese in camps. Citizens rounded up and confined, men, women, children, old people.

Yes, it must be that half Black half White South that is imposing Racism on America.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 8:19 am

Raptor wrote:

The rapid willingness that Germany has exhibited since World War II to repudiate nationalism (or group think) earnestly suggests to me just another form of the nationalism that was evident during the war. There appears to be little wiggle room for citizens to believe and act otherwise within the "We're sorry ... and much more understanding now!" mindset. Step outside this new nationalism, and watch how fast we push you back into compliance.

I told a friend some months ago that it appears that Germany's willingness to join monolithic social movements is still just as fervent as ever, just with a different angle today. So, isn't it just as pliable to whichever popularized tyranny comes its way?

No, I believe you let the citizenry believe and (within law) act however they choose, if you wish them to be self-governing and peaceful.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:36 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The rapid willingness that Germany has exhibited since World War II to repudiate nationalism (or group think) earnestly suggests to me just another form of the nationalism that was evident during the war. There appears to be little wiggle room for citizens to believe and act otherwise within the "We're sorry ... and much more understanding now!" mindset. Step outside this new nationalism, and watch how fast we push you back into compliance.

I told a friend some months ago that it appears that Germany's willingness to join monolithic social movements is still just as fervent as ever, just with a different angle today. So, isn't it just as pliable to whichever popularized tyranny comes its way?

No, I believe you let the citizenry believe and (within law) act however they choose, if you wish them to be self-governing and peaceful.

Considering it's coming from the Germans who suffered CONSIDERABLY during Nazism, they have every right. Until you have been there and experienced the burning baptism by fire, should you really judge them? Who are us to say anything to them when we haven't gone through what they have?

The rest of the world would be wise to embrace the modern German mindset because these people know. I consider them to be a source of wisdom.

It just blows my mind people cannot fathom how horrid it was for all involved. Never go back.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

The sad truth is the most soldiers that fought for the Confederacy or even Nazi Germany were just normal non-idealogical people who answered the call for service from their country much the same way that soldiers on the other side did, some did awful things and some fought honorably. Its not black and white, in war there never is a good guy just bad and worse. Our guy's aren't unique, we've caused mass suffering and have acted with extreme cruelty too. That is war, war is a war crime in of its self. The victor writes the historical narrative and never answers for the crimes they committed, like I said there are no good guys. More people have suffered and died horrible deaths because of war than it has ever saved, it should be avoided at all costs and only be a last resort in self defence.

I don't think it would be wrong for Germany to honor the soldiers that weren't Nazis that fought honorably in the Wehrmacht, 20 million served and they lost more than half of them. Most of these men were drafted and had no choice to fight, this doesn't absolve them of any guilt for the cruelty and crimes they committed but in many were victims as well of a diabolical madman who sent them to their deaths and forever tainting the reputation of the German state for which they gave their lives for with racism and mass murder. Hitler didn't love his people or his country like he claimed, he did more harm to Germany than any Jew or Communist in his diseased mind ever did.

The vast majority of the soldiers that fought for the Confederacy weren't fighting for slavery much like the vast majority of the soldiers for Union weren't there to free the slaves either, their state's called upon them for service and unless you were wealthy or could find someone to go in your place then you had no choice.

Rich people start the wars, poor people do the dying. Not much has changed.