Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:09 pm

http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/884518 ... flag-games

This is censorship, plain and simple. Removing the Confederate flag from a Civil War game is just like removing Nazi swastikas from a WWII game. Sure, these symbols may offend people when used in such a context that they are glorified, but in a historical context, there should be no offense taken at all. Now, this isn't the only reason I don't support Apple or use their products, but this specific example shows what they stand for. I don't support far-right or otherwise racists movements, but I also don't support censorship, the whitewashing of history, or suppression of free speech.

What are your thoughts on this?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:27 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/8845181/apple-removing-confederate-flag-games

This is censorship, plain and simple. Removing the Confederate flag from a Civil War game is just like removing Nazi swastikas from a WWII game. Sure, these symbols may offend people when used in such a context that they are glorified, but in a historical context, there should be no offense taken at all. Now, this isn't the only reason I don't support Apple or use their products, but this specific example shows what they stand for. I don't support far-right or otherwise racists movements, but I also don't support censorship, the whitewashing of history, or suppression of free speech.

it's hardly out of character for apple, nor for the games industry. They have to follow public opinion and local laws. for example, Germany doesn't allow swastikas in games released there.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisof ... 0-6417987/

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2015, 9:40 pm

You waited for apple to censor the confederate flag before deciding they aren't worth of your "support"?

I don't give apple any money. Because i don't like their products. Support doesn't enter into it.

For most of their customers, support doesn't enter into it.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 12:36 am

It seems like an overreaction. I used to love playing WWI and WWII plane games on the computer, and I liked to fly as the German side. Lol, I was a kid, I had no clue what any of it meant. I just liked that pilot's name, Richtenberger or whatever. It was a long time ago.

On the other hand, couldn't it be argued that censoring is in itself a form of free speech that deserves to be protected? After all, Apple has the legal right to sell whatever apps it wants to sell, right?

People can argue this all they want, but Apple I think has done nothing wrong.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:33 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
On the other hand, couldn't it be argued that censoring is in itself a form of free speech that deserves to be protected? After all, Apple has the legal right to sell whatever apps it wants to sell, right?

People can argue this all they want, but Apple I think has done nothing wrong.

Apple can do whatever it wants, but they have to pay for it in potential lost customers alienated by the move, just like any other company making political decisions. I think it's pretty stupid myself, but I've hated Apple since being forced to use them in grade school, so this hardly moves my needle on them.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 6:46 am

blauSamstag wrote:
You waited for apple to censor the confederate flag before deciding they aren't worth of your "support"?

I don't give apple any money. Because i don't like their products. Support doesn't enter into it.

For most of their customers, support doesn't enter into it.

I didn't. I haven't supported Apple for years, mainly because of their bloated software on Windows, their planned obsolescence policies, the fragility of their hardware, their negative attitude towards people who want to upgrade and modify their hardware, and of course the smug, self-righteous attitude that emanates from their biggest fans. I also used to say that they killed music by emphasizing singles over albums, but Napster already kinda did that; Apple just provided a legal, paid avenue for a similar service. Did I also mention that OS X is a pain in the ass to use, and that I hated being forced to use MacBooks in high school?

Sorry, when I first wrote my original post, I couldn't remember all the reasons why I boycotted Apple.

Fugu wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
http://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/8845181/apple-removing-confederate-flag-games

it's hardly out of character for apple, nor for the games industry. They have to follow public opinion and local laws. for example, Germany doesn't allow swastikas in games released there.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ubisof ... 0-6417987/

I'm well aware of that, and while it's not something I agree with, it is unfortunately a legal requirement in Germany. The Confederate flag is banned neither here nor in the US however, and I don't believe it's banned in any other countries either. It's censorship, because Apple are pushing their values onto us without any reasonable cause.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jun 2015, 9:22 am

It's dumb as hell, instead of thinking about how the system failed this Dylan Roof kid and how to prevent others from falling thru the cracks and possibly averting the next tragedy, we're literally blaming a 150 year old flag. Meanwhile, they're still profiting from Nazi memorabilia and ton of other offensive stuff. Idiots shouldn't be allowed to erase history they don't like, we entering a dangerous time.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 12:25 pm

Jacoby wrote:
It's dumb as hell, instead of thinking about how the system failed this Dylan Roof kid and how to prevent others from falling thru the cracks and possibly averting the next tragedy, we're literally blaming a 150 year old flag. Meanwhile, they're still profiting from Nazi memorabilia and ton of other offensive stuff. Idiots shouldn't be allowed to erase history they don't like, we entering a dangerous time.

The calls to get rid of confederate memorials and banning the sale of confederate flags even on national battlefields is becoming somewhat akin to Nazi book burning to change how history is told and trying to eliminate southern culture. If the argument used on the confederate flag was used elsewhere the American Flag would be under far worse scrutiny.

Search Amazon and you won't find a confederate flag, what you will find is flags pertaining to the Soviet, Palestine, North Korean, Black Panther, Imperial Japan, Hezbollah, and Hamas.
I am not kidding when I say I found these for sale by searching!! !

Last edited by AntDog on 26 Jun 2015, 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jun 2015, 12:33 pm

AntDog wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

The calls to get rid of confederate memorials and banning the sale of confederate flags even on national battlefields is becoming somewhat akin to Nazi book burning. I even heard Facebook is taking down pages with it.

Search Amazon and you won't find a confederate flag, what you will find is flags pertaining to the Soviet, Palestine, North Korean, Black Panther, Imperial Japan, Hezbollah, and Hamas.
I am not kidding when I say I found these for sale by searching!! !

The harpies are already gearing up to go after the Jefferson memorial now

they wont stop until they can force their ideology on everyone

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 1:05 pm

What next the blasting away of Stone Mountain in Georgia because of a historic carving? Such would be like how the Taliban tore down those giant Buddha statues.

Jacoby wrote:
they wont stop until they can force their ideology on everyone

As Todd Starnes said "Oh, Stalin and Lenin would be bursting with pride".

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:03 pm

After being persuaded, Apple has restored the game.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2015/06/26/exclusive-apple-will-restore-battle-gettysburg-app/%22%20target=%22_blank%22%3E%3Cspan%20style=%22color:%20#bb0000;%20font-weight:%20bold;
In other news the great Purge is continuing with proposals to dig up corpses and ban Gone with the Wind and Dukes of Hazzard.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:15 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...What are your thoughts on this?

I support informed buying wholeheartedly. There are many products I don't buy because of their manufacturers. I avoid all companies with connections to the tobacco industry. I avoid all GMOs. I buy local as much as I can. I buy American products in the rare occasion that something I need is actually still made here. I avoid the products of tyrannical nations. Vote with your dollars.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:29 pm

One thing you need to understand is that the "stars and bars" is NOT the flag of the Confederate States Of America. That flag is so obscure you might not even be able to find a picture of it. The flag that all the idiots want to ban is the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. Depending on who you ask, it has somehow come to symbolize racism. If you take the time to read American History, you will see that the War Between The States was largely economic, and not about racism. Thus it was not a "Civil War" because that denotes politics.
If you ask someone who grew up in the Southern USA, they refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:33 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
One thing you need to understand is that the "stars and bars" is NOT the flag of the Confederate States Of America. That flag is so obscure you might not even be able to find a picture of it. The flag that all the idiots want to ban is the Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia. Depending on who you ask, it has somehow come to symbolize racism. If you take the time to read American History, you will see that the War Between The States was largely economic, and not about racism. Thus it was not a "Civil War" because that denotes politics.
If you ask someone who grew up in the Southern USA, they refer to it as "The War of Northern Aggression."

All true! :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:39 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
...What are your thoughts on this?

I support informed buying wholeheartedly. There are many products I don't buy because of their manufacturers. I avoid all companies with connections to the tobacco industry. I avoid all GMOs. I buy local as much as I can. I buy American products in the rare occasion that something I need is actually still made here. I avoid the products of tyrannical nations. Vote with your dollars.
what's wrong with GMOs?

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2015, 9:52 pm

I don't care about the flag one hay or another, nor do I care about Apple products. --The last time I had a Mac was the one that I bought in 2000.

That being said, though my take on the whole flag thing is tha if you are going to take away somebodies' freedom in exchange for a little bit of peace of mind, you yourself deserve neither freedom or peace of mind.