Page 6 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:24 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Nowhere did I argue that evolution should not be taught.

You didn't. But then what exactly were you arguing with this exchange?

pcuser wrote:
We teach evolution as it is necessary to a good education to include what we know, not what biblical believers believe.

nerdygirl wrote:
When we teach, we teach what we THINK we know. Do you really think that all history taught is CORRECT? All the time? We do the best we can, teaching what we know currently according to the evidence we currently have to the best of our understanding. We must always be open to being corrected. Who knows where future knowledge will lead us. I have as much chance of being wrong as do you.

He never argued that what we know is the totality of what will be known. Nobody who understands science ever argues that. But you, like so many religious people, made an argument against the arrogant straw man scientist who doesn't realize that knowledge changes. Why did you make that argument?

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:42 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
If I trusted NO ONE, it would be a bit difficult to get through life. Actually, no one can trust NO ONE and be consistent. Everyone must trust someone at some point. That is faith. Making a careful examination and determining who you decide to trust is using reason.
trust can also be derived by observing a person over a period of time. Unless someone undergoes a traumatic event, it's unlikely that their personality and their mannerisms will change significantly, thus patterns can be observed that will help you in the area of character judgement.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Rockymtnchris wrote:
Fugu wrote:

That diagram doesn't really make any sense.

Who are the people in the black?

The people in the blue would be ...agnostics...who...are agnostic about their agnosticism. Not sure what that even means (they cant decide whether they are undecided?).

But the folks in the black would be...folks who claim that there is solid evidence for...what? Niether belief, nor disbelief in the thing in question (the existence of God)?
there aren't any people in the solidly black portion, as they would either believe in a god or not believe in a god, bringing them to either the area where the black and yellow circles intersect, or the area where the black and red circles intersect. you can't claim that proof exists without stating a position of belief.

Pepe wrote:
pcuser wrote:
It is beginning to look like the more fearful we are, the more religious and the more fundamental our beliefs. This is still being studied, along with other studies. We may have answers sooner than later...

"There are no atheists in fox holes..."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_are ... n_foxholes
That phrase is a comment on foxholes, not on atheism.

Last edited by Fugu on 21 Jul 2015, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
You do realize that the teaching of science 150 years ago would have been dead wrong about germs, right? You do know that antibiotics are just over 100 years old and our playing around with them might now be causing superbugs?

In short, you're wrong. Francesco Redi, the founder of experimental biology, took the first steps towards a germ theory in 1668. The reasons for this idea not taking root might have had some small thing to do with what happened to his contemporary, a man called Galileo Galilei...

Also, you mean that our providing an environment for germs in which a mechanism for descent with inherited modifications has enabled them to adapt to our antibiotics over time? Curious. It's almost as if this is the very essence of modern evolutionary theory, a model more precise and well-understood than the theory of gravity. Yet no one contests that because a theory might be changed or replaced, what it describes must not happen. Just like the theory of gravity was replaced by the theory of general relativity, "Darwinian evolution" was fused with Mendelian genetics in the 1930's to form the modern incarnation of the theory of evolution (Mendel provided the mechanism for Darwins observations).

Also, the distinction between micro and macro evolution is entirely irrelevant. They describe the same mechanism. Accepting one but not the other is tantamount to accepting that you can walk across a room, but vehemently denying that you could walk downtown.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:55 pm

Janissy wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
When we teach, we teach what we THINK we know. Do you really think that all history taught is CORRECT? All the time? We do the best we can, teaching what we know currently according to the evidence we currently have to the best of our understanding. We must always be open to being corrected. Who knows where future knowledge will lead us. I have as much chance of being wrong as do you.

You do realize that the teaching of science 150 years ago would have been dead wrong about germs, right? You do know that antibiotics are just over 100 years old and our playing around with them might now be causing superbugs?

Information changes. And it can change FAST. It is arrogant to think that one knows all. I am a Christian and "believe" in God and the claims of Jesus Christ and "believe" that Christianity is the best religious option, for lack of better words. But while I might hope that others join me in believing because I think it is beneficial, and while I might hope that I am right, in the end I cannot say absolutely that I am. I am personally convinced, but I am not going to call anyone stupid for not being convinced themselves. I am well aware that the Apostle Paul stated that if Christians are wrong and there is no resurrection and all this is a hoax, then we are "of all people most to be pitied." While I "believe", I suppose that according to the Venn diagram, I am an "agnostic Christian?"

That information changes is not the "gotcha" that you portray it as. The "arrogant scientist who thinks he knows everything but doesn't realize how much scientific knowledge has changed over the years" is a straw man. Teaching evolution as it is known today does not imply that no new information will be discovered that changes the paradigm. It is inevitable that what we now know will change in some way in the future. But it would be odd indeed to not teach the information we do just because at some future point it will be either tweaked or discarded entirely.

In the Museum of Natural History in New York City there is a display about human evolution. I brought my daughter to it and explained the different displays. The plaque that goes with the Neanderthal display case said that Neanderthals never bred with humans. I don't know when the display was created- 1970's?1980's?,1990's? Whenever it was , it turned out they were wrong about that. Neanderthals and modern humans did indeed have sex with each other and therefore kids. Everybody whose ancestors are not 100% from the African continent has a snippet of Neanderthal genes that prove it. Should they never have put that plaque up because it turned out later to be wrong?

What she said. Also, it is a virtual guarantee that science will change. There is a zero chance of it changing ALL the way back to creationism...

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 2:59 pm

Janissy wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

pcuser wrote:
We teach evolution as it is necessary to a good education to include what we know, not what biblical believers believe.

nerdygirl wrote:

He never argued that what we know is the totality of what will be known. Nobody who understands science ever argues that. But you, like so many religious people, made an argument against the arrogant straw man scientist who doesn't realize that knowledge changes. Why did you make that argument?

My only point is that what we "know" is only what we think we know. I believe I explained myself in the remainder of my post, including the part at the end which you quoted here, where I said I have as much chance of being wrong as anyone else. I made this point because pcuser said that it is necessary to a good education to include what we know. That is a strong word that implies certainty. But the fact is no one knows anything for certain, and at the end of understanding, the gap is filled in by "belief." You do not know for certain that evolution has occurred. You believe that it provides the best explanation for the evidence we have. To say that any other interpretation of the evidence is invalid is to make a claim that the evolutionary interpretation *IS* for certain the only correct one.

This is why I can only say, "This is what I believe, and this is why", but I cannot prove that I am correct. Neither can you prove that evolution occurred or that God does not exist. You can only say "based on this evidence, this is why I believe I am correct." Someone else may look at the evidence and disagree. This is not due (necessarily) to stupidity or ignorance or illogical thinking.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:05 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Neither can you prove that evolution occurred or that God does not exist. You can only say "based on this evidence, this is why I believe I am correct." Someone else may look at the evidence and disagree. This is not due (necessarily) to stupidity or ignorance or illogical thinking.
science can't /prove/ anything, it can only show what is accurate and reproducible. Biological evolution has been shown to be both of these via experiments on fruit flies.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:07 pm

Janissy wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

pcuser wrote:

nerdygirl wrote:

On page 4, sly said "mean like forcing people to pay for abortion, forcing people to bake a cake for something that is against their religion, forcing people to learn evolution even though they disagree with it and don't believe it. everything you said can be flipped right back at you for how they attack religious people. but its ok if its religious people being attacked."
This exchange is what started this...

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:09 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

In short, you're wrong. Francesco Redi, the founder of experimental biology, took the first steps towards a germ theory in 1668. The reasons for this idea not taking root might have had some small thing to do with what happened to his contemporary, a man called Galileo Galilei...

Also, you mean that our providing an environment for germs in which a mechanism for descent with inherited modifications has enabled them to adapt to our antibiotics over time? Curious. It's almost as if this is the very essence of modern evolutionary theory, a model more precise and well-understood than the theory of gravity. Yet no one contests that because a theory might be changed or replaced, what it describes must not happen. Just like the theory of gravity was replaced by the theory of general relativity, "Darwinian evolution" was fused with Mendelian genetics in the 1930's to form the modern incarnation of the theory of evolution (Mendel provided the mechanism for Darwins observations).

Also, the distinction between micro and macro evolution is entirely irrelevant. They describe the same mechanism. Accepting one but not the other is tantamount to accepting that you can walk across a room, but vehemently denying that you could walk downtown.

What he said...

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:11 pm

Fugu wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
If I trusted NO ONE, it would be a bit difficult to get through life. Actually, no one can trust NO ONE and be consistent. Everyone must trust someone at some point. That is faith. Making a careful examination and determining who you decide to trust is using reason.
trust can also be derived by observing a person over a period of time. Unless someone undergoes a traumatic event, it's unlikely that their personality and their mannerisms will change significantly, thus patterns can be observed that will help you in the area of character judgement.

Do you know many people whose spouse walked out on them and the kids one day? I know about 10 off the top of my head. Some after more than a decade or two of marriage. And it wasn't a sudden "traumatic event" that caused it. Perhaps there was a habit of cheating before marriage...but guess what? The cheaters know how to hide. So, it's not always the fault of the spouse for making a bad judgment of character.

How about a positive change? How about someone who quits smoking, drinking, or using drugs or some other bad habit "cold turkey"? Or someone who one day decided to do whatever it took to lose weight? Know anyone? I probably know at least 20. No "traumatic event" preceded it...just finally getting fed up with it and wanted a change.

How about all the people here on WP who work to "pass" in the NT world and then decide one day that they're tired of trying and let their "real" personality show through. I bet to others they sure look like their personality changed.

How long do you think people need to observe another to "be sure" about their character. People can be unpredictable. We place our trust in people. Yes, we do our best in making careful observations and judgments. But, our best will only get us so far.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:31 pm

pcuser wrote:
sly279 wrote:
pcuser wrote:
sly279 wrote:
pcuser wrote:
sly279 wrote:
will you lash out against acts of violence in the name of atheism?
I see atheists talk about killing all religious people. a convert or die attitude. they know what the "truth" is and everyone has to follow it or they are evil and must be gotten rid of.

saying taking your kids to church like you did and your parents did is brainwashing them. well I think people should be able to raise their kids to their families lifestyle, and the kids can decide when they grow up what they want to do. plenty of religious families kids turn atheist and atheist families kids go religious. so I don't see how its any one else s business.

I think for a quite a few people atheism is their religion. you may say its not one but they act like it is. its the only way of life and all must follow it and its their job to convert people to it. so that sounds religious to me. I hate anyone like that. think what you want, believe what you want, but don't force or attack others to do so.

For the millionth time, atheists generally don't try to convert anyone. I don't. The reason we get ticked off at religion is they keep trying to legislate our behavior to align with their ideas of what it should be. If that all went away (really went away), I think most if not all that anger or whatever you want to call it would go away. As to being a religion. I borrowed the following because it says it better than what occurs to me presently.

Atheism is a religion like not-collecting stamps is a hobby.

Atheism simply states that you do not believe in God.
Period.
That is all folks.
Nothing to see here.

you don't' equal all atheists just like I don't equal all Christians. so you may not but most I've met do see it as their job to convert all the "stupid idiots"

but many take not believing in god as the only way to live the only truth and everyone must follow it. that sounds like a religion to me. its the same reason you don't like religious people yet its ok when your side does it o.O

most laws happening is to ban being openly religious and to prevent us from doing it places so idk what laws you're talking about that make you do as religious people want unless you live in the middle east.

look to Russia where atheism is the law and gov. or how about china.

Well, let's consider abortion laws, laws explicitly allowing outright discrimination against gays, anti gay marriage laws, laws to teach creationism in public schools, etc. One could go on all day with examples. The reason we need laws against religion in the public square is because religious people insist on violating the Constitution by putting religion in the public square. Stop doing this crap and it would all go away...

mean like forcing people to pay for abortion,

You aren't being forced to pay for anyone's abortion. We all pay taxes into a common pool. Those taxes get spent by legislatures to fund government and programs run by the government. You, as a religious person don't have the Constitutional right to withhold taxes because you have a religious objection to it. You are also only paying for a medical procedure. I don't have 'lady parts', but I still contribute taxes that pay for your medical procedures if you are a women. Women also pay taxes that pay for my/our 'male parts'. I too have strong objections to some of the things we pay for with taxes. That's part of living in a free society of over 350 million people.

sly279 wrote:
forcing people to bake a cake for something that is against their religion,

When you create a business, particularly if you have the only business in town of whatever type yours is, you have entered the public square. You don't have the right to control what one does with your product, then withhold it from that person to execute that control. That isn't even a matter of religious consideration. The religious among us want to inject their religious beliefs into it. You have the right to decline to write a pro gay rights message on the cake just as you have the right to decline writing a pro Nazi message on the cake. Those are your personal religious rights. They don't expand to disallow the sale of your product. Period.

sly279 wrote:
forcing people to learn evolution even though they disagree with it and don't believe it.

We teach evolution as it is necessary to a good education to include what we know, not what biblical believers believe. Again, you can't impose your religious beliefs on others. Period. Also, the only reason you would get heavily involved in studying evolution is if you want to be a biologist. Biology makes no sense without the underlying evolution. This fact I won't debate. If you want a debate about this. I suggest this:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum ... ism?page=2
You'll find all the debate from people there who are more knowledgeable than I.

was refering to trying to force companies who are christain to pay for abortion in part of insurance coverage. not state insureance

ok then why can gay business refuse to serve anti gay people? discrimination works both ways. so if Christians can't refuse gays then gays can't refuse Christians. but the left is a hypocrite and wants it only their way.
so its either close up shop and starve or violate your morals and go to hell? or you could do as you do with muslims which is respect Christians religious beliefs. there's plenty of cake shops that aren't christian based, they could go to one of them. just as its ok for people to refuse me service because I am a gun owner. that's discrimination but its their right to so i go to another shop. the laws were made to stop racism which has not religious backing.
use to be you as a business could refuse service to anyone. why should you be forced to sell your product? its your's to sell or not sell. they can't actually refusing to write a pro gay message on a cake gets them into trouble because its not political correct according to the left. its why Muslims get away with discrimination because after 9/11 its not political correct to say bad stuff about Muslims.

no its not. you could take evolution out and people would still get educated. its indoctrination to what atheist believe. stop imposing yours on use. we want equality. leave us alone we leave you alone. give people options and freedom to do as they want. all that s**t almost made me hate school and science. you're only going to drive Christians away from science by imposing your beliefs on them by force.

I'm pro gay, I'm just also pro freedom of choice and religion. I don't think gays should be forced to do something against their morals just as I don't' think Christians should. why I may not view gay as a sin, there are those who do. their right of freedom of religion is just as valid as others rights. if a business does something you don't approve of, boycott them and get others to.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:33 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
Fugu wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:

Do you know many people whose spouse walked out on them and the kids one day? I know about 10 off the top of my head. Some after more than a decade or two of marriage. And it wasn't a sudden "traumatic event" that caused it. Perhaps there was a habit of cheating before marriage...but guess what? The cheaters know how to hide. So, it's not always the fault of the spouse for making a bad judgment of character.
I would point out that they've probably always been like that. also I can't believe that there was zero warning and they just walked out apropos of nothing.
Quote:
How about a positive change? How about someone who quits smoking, drinking, or using drugs or some other bad habit "cold turkey"? Or someone who one day decided to do whatever it took to lose weight? Know anyone? I probably know at least 20. No "traumatic event" preceded it...just finally getting fed up with it and wanted a change.
you're conflating personality with health and eating habits
Quote:

How about all the people here on WP who work to "pass" in the NT world and then decide one day that they're tired of trying and let their "real" personality show through. I bet to others they sure look like their personality changed.
there would have probably been some sort of event(not necessarily trauma) that tipped the balance from wanting to appear normal vs giving up.
Quote:
How long do you think people need to observe another to "be sure" about their character. People can be unpredictable. We place our trust in people. Yes, we do our best in making careful observations and judgments. But, our best will only get us so far.
that's why honesty is a thing.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:35 pm

We do know, in the very strongest sense you can know anything in, what the results of experiments carried out so far were, especially those reproduced countless times. Any new theory "overturning" the current paradigm will have to account for that evidence, too, so, in the domain covered by those experiments, it will have to match the predictions of current theories, just like general relativity matches Newtonian mechanics when all the speeds involved are much smaller than the speed of light. We won't suddenly "discover" that the fossil record or the DNA evidence for evolution don't exist, or that a stone you let go of in mid air will accelerate upwards, rather than downwards.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:41 pm

how about you just leave us alone in our stupidity then or make good on your war and come try to kill us all, but we'll fight back and there's more religious people currently then atheists. also most atheist are anti gun so good luck.

why can't you just leave us alone and let us believe what we want. why does everyone have to live and think like you. why must everyone be the same. we aren't clones. so tired of bigoted atheists.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:45 pm

Janissy wrote:
He{pcuser} never argued that what we know is the totality of what will be known. Nobody who understands science ever argues that. But you, like so many religious people, made an argument against the arrogant straw man scientist who doesn't realize that knowledge changes. Why did you make that argument?

Nerdygirl wrote:
My only point is that what we "know" is only what we think we know. I believe I explained myself in the remainder of my post, including the part at the end which you quoted here, where I said I have as much chance of being wrong as anyone else. I made this point because pcuser said that it is necessary to a good education to include what we know. That is a strong word that implies certainty.

Aaaaaaahhhhhh. Now I think I see the origin of the popular "arrogant scientist who thinks he knows everything" strawman. "what we know" does not imply certainty. Nobody who understands science is under the illusion that we have learned everything there is to learn and no paradigm-shifting knowledge will be discovered. It's just that they/we don't put the disclaimer "what we know (at this point in time with the understanding that future discoveries will bring new and possibly paradigm shifting knowledge)" unless writing a book (or a really, really long post).

I never thought that disclaimer necessary and neither do so many other people. But now reflecting on it, I guess this was an inevitable misunderstanding. Scientifically minded people are used to having knowledge be in flux. It is the norm. And so the phrase "what we know" is understood (or so I thought) to have the implied disclaimer that this knowledge is subject to change with future discoveries. In fact, that's pretty much the point of chasing discoveries....to update the knowledge.

But religious people are not used to having knowledge be in flux. Religious knowledge is intended to be unchangeable. So its rate of change is over timescales so large as to be imperceptible to all but those who actively study these changes as part of their scholarly work or who read from a broad swath of primary religious texts for fun and self education.

Thus the two wildly different uses of the term "know".

Quote:
But the fact is no one knows anything for certain, and at the end of understanding, the gap is filled in by "belief." You do not know for certain that evolution has occurred. You believe that it provides the best explanation for the evidence we have. To say that any other interpretation of the evidence is invalid is to make a claim that the evolutionary interpretation *IS* for certain the only correct one.

No. It is to say that the non-evolutionary interpretations of the evidence don't fit the evidence. If somebody makes a discovery that ties the evidence together in a non-evolutionary way, the scientific world will be all over that.

I have noticed that Creationist think tanks (as opposed to youtube cranks who haven't actually read any scientific works) never actually try to tie the evidence together in a non-evolutionary way. They know that's a losing battle. Instead, they poke holes in the previous incarnations of evolutionary theory, something they can easily do because ironically the groundwork was already done for them by scientists who made discoveries that updated the theory.

An example:

http://www.truthinscience.org.uk/tis2/index.php/evidence-for-evolution-mainmenu-65/48-the-fossil-record.html
Quote:
The fossil record is the cause of ongoing debate between evolutionists. On one side geneticists and theoreticians stand for Darwinian “gradualism.” They continue to claim that the lack of intermediate forms is due to the rarity of fossilisation and the imperfection of the fossil record. Thus, the fossil record is something which needs to be explained away – it is not good evidence for Darwinian evolution.

On the other side, those with a more first-hand knowledge of fossils stand for “punctuated equilibrium”: evolution occurs mainly in sudden bursts, with long periods of little change. This explains why intermediate forms are not found in the fossil record. They were around for such relatively short times that the chance of their being fossilised was very low. However, punctuated equilibrium lacks a clear mechanism. How was biological change produced as fast as the fossil record seems to require? This is still debated.

Scientists having disagreements amongst themselves isn't a "gotcha". It's the norm. It's how science works. When scientists say "know" they aren't using it as an absolute. The inter-discipline disagreements merely show that knowledge isn't static.

nerdygirl wrote:
This is why I can only say, "This is what I believe, and this is why", but I cannot prove that I am correct. Neither can you prove that evolution occurred or that God does not exist. You can only say "based on this evidence, this is why I believe I am correct." Someone else may look at the evidence and disagree. This is not due (necessarily) to stupidity or ignorance or illogical thinking.

"Based on the evidence" is exactly what scientists say.

edited to add: about 5 million posts popped up while I was writing this so some of what I say may already be outdated. But that's ok :wink: I am ok with knowledge changing.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 3:47 pm

sly279 wrote:
was refering to trying to force companies who are christain to pay for abortion in part of insurance coverage. not state insureance
Did you know that only 2.99% of all procedures done at Planned Parenthood(as an example) are abortions? railing against such procedures is well and good, but the organizations the provide said services also provide a bunch of other things that aren't related to abortions.

source:http://www.plannedparenthood.org/files/4013/9611/7243/Planned_Parenthood_Services.pdf

327,166 / 10,933,675 = 0.029923 * 100 = 2.99%
Quote:

ok then why can gay business refuse to serve anti gay people? discrimination works both ways. so if Christians can't refuse gays then gays can't refuse Christians. but the left is a hypocrite and wants it only their way.
so its either close up shop and starve or violate your morals and go to hell? or you could do as you do with muslims which is respect Christians religious beliefs. there's plenty of cake shops that aren't christian based, they could go to one of them. just as its ok for people to refuse me service because I am a gun owner. that's discrimination but its their right to so i go to another shop.
you can't be refused service for being a gun owner, but you can for carrying a gun into a private business. this isn't a violation of your rights.
Quote:
the laws were made to stop racism which has not religious backing.
use to be you as a business could refuse service to anyone. why should you be forced to sell your product? its your's to sell or not sell. they can't actually refusing to write a pro gay message on a cake gets them into trouble because its not political correct according to the left. its why Muslims get away with discrimination because after 9/11 its not political correct to say bad stuff about Muslims.

no its not. you could take evolution out and people would still get educated. its indoctrination to what atheist believe. stop imposing yours on use. we want equality. leave us alone we leave you alone. give people options and freedom to do as they want. all that s**t almost made me hate school and science. you're only going to drive Christians away from science by imposing your beliefs on them by force.
if they took evolution out, it wouldn't be accurate and thus not really education.
Quote:

I'm pro gay, I'm just also pro freedom of choice and religion. I don't think gays should be forced to do something against their morals just as I don't' think Christians should. why I may not view gay as a sin, there are those who do. their right of freedom of religion is just as valid as others rights. if a business does something you don't approve of, boycott them and get others to.
why should people get to dictate what other people can and can't do based upon what is pretty much a collection of Bronze-age morality tales. Religion and business shouldn't mix, just like government and religion shouldn't.