Page 10 of 12 [ 184 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:37 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
evolution is complex and improbable, but god is even more complex and therefore even less likely.

The human eyeball is so complex, we still haven't fully mapped it to truly understand it. How is something improbable if it's complex?

imagine a jet plane being constructed by wind from parts in a junkyard. easier to imagine a lean-to might result from wind pushing plywood against a tree in the same junkyard. simpler = more probable, especially in a universe tending toward entropy.

I think I might have misunderstood your original statement. I thought you were saying God is improbable, as in you don't believe in him, but you're saying the opposite, right?

your first impression was correct.

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:40 am

cathylynn wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
evolution is complex and improbable, but god is even more complex and therefore even less likely.

The human eyeball is so complex, we still haven't fully mapped it to truly understand it. How is something improbable if it's complex?

imagine a jet plane being constructed by wind from parts in a junkyard. easier to imagine a lean-to might result from wind pushing plywood against a tree in the same junkyard. simpler = more probable, especially in a universe tending toward entropy.

I think I might have misunderstood your original statement. I thought you were saying God is improbable, as in you don't believe in him, but you're saying the opposite, right?

Oh, so I'm more confused.
You don't believe in Creationism, but you also don't believe in evolution?
What is your particular belief?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:44 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

Oh, so I'm more confused.
You don't believe in Creationism, but you also don't believe in evolution?
What is your particular belief?

evolution is unlikely, but given a long enough time, unlikely things happen. plus, there is lots of evidence that evolution did happen. natural selection and gradual change driven by natural selection make complex things from simpler things possible.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:20 am

Skibz888 wrote:

I've always sided with Charles Darwin's own summary: "All the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed by the Creator".

" Therefore I should infer from analogy that probably all the organic beings which have ever lived on this earth have descended from some one primordial form, into which life was first breathed. "
http://darwin-online.org.uk/Variorum/18 ... -1860.html

Note the lack of" "by the Creator"
It was added later...
Something Darwin "bitterly regretted"...
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=gS ... 22&f=false

Also:
"The main problem with all these stories is that they were all denied by members of Darwin’s family. Francis Darwin wrote to Thomas Huxley on 8 February 1887, that a report that Charles had renounced evolution on his deathbed was ‘false and without any kind of foundation’,4 and in 1917 Francis affirmed that he had ‘no reason whatever to believe that he [his father] ever altered his agnostic point of view’.5 Charles’s daughter Henrietta (Litchfield) wrote on page 12 of the London evangelical weekly, The Christian, for 23 February 1922, ‘I was present at his deathbed. Lady Hope was not present during his last illness, or any illness. I believe he never even saw her, but in any case she had no influence over him in any department of thought or belief. He never recanted any of his scientific views, either then or earlier … . The whole story has no foundation whatever’.6 Some have even concluded that there was no Lady Hope. "

"The alleged recantation/conversion are embellishments that others have either read into the story or made up for themselves. Moore calls such doings ‘holy fabrication’! "
http://creation.com/did-charles-darwin-recant

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:23 am

Fair enough. I still don't believe in creationism, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:46 am

Skibz888 wrote:
Fair enough. I still don't believe in creationism, so we'll just have to agree to disagree.

"Creationism is the belief that the Universe and Life originate "from specific acts of divine creation." For young Earth creationists, this includes a biblical literalist interpretation of the Genesis creation narrative and the rejection of the scientific theory of evolution."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creationism

I don't believe in "creationism" either, so we'll just have to agree to agree.... ;)

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 7:35 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
If someone is treated as a second class citizen, no matter what they are, that's illegal. If those gun owners get kicked out of a business for talking about guns, they have the right to get a lawyer and take the business to court and have the matter settled legally.

I don't think that's true, only certain "protected classes" are illegal to discriminate against.

Well, I was thinking that since the KKK leader won, it's not always the case.

My bad. I apologize for posting that since further googling showed me it wasn't true. I honestly didn't know the site was a satire site :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I'm like somebody who took The Onion seriously.

Snopes explains:

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/kkkbakery.asp

Quote:
Origins: On 23 August 2013, the satirical Tribune Herald web site published a fake news article titled "KKK Wins Lawsuit Against Bakery for Discrimination" (which languished in relative obscurity until April 2015), reporting that the KKK had successfully sued a baker named Elaine Bailey because she refused to provide a cake for the organization's birthday party

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 11:28 am

Janissy wrote:
My bad. I apologize for posting that since further googling showed me it wasn't true. I honestly didn't know the site was a satire site :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I'm like somebody who took The Onion seriously.

Snopes explains:

http://www.snopes.com/media/notnews/kkkbakery.asp

D'oh! That shows me for not fact checking first -_-
It does make me wonder though, if something like that could actually happen? Like if a known KKK leader really went to a black baker and asked for a cake, would there be grounds for a lawsuit if he was refused based on who he is?

Skibz888 wrote:

I'm not sure I technically believe in Creationism either. I'm open to how the earth was made, and how animals and man came to be, but I do believe God did it. Does that count as a type of creationism even if I understand and accept the science behind evolution?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 11:41 am

kamiyu910 wrote:
Skibz888 wrote:

I'm not sure I technically believe in Creationism either. I'm open to how the earth was made, and how animals and man came to be, but I do believe God did it. Does that count as a type of creationism even if I understand and accept the science behind evolution?

Of course it's not black and white; little in science or faith truly is. Evolutionary creationism (aka theistic evolution) is certainly a valid hypothesis which is accepted by many major religions, including Catholicism and most of mainline Protestantism. I consider myself a theistic evolutionist.

Vertetuesi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Jul 2015, 12:21 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
It's weird to me that humans could have been around for so long and not developed a more advanced society. Look at all we've done in just 6000 years! What happened the other 595,000 years?

This is a very good and under-considered point. In fact this sort of argument has been cogently made for hundreds of years (i.e. since well before evolution became a serious issue in western thought). For example Richard Baxter writing in the 1660s rhetorically asked sceptics how come there was no historical record or monuments of nations more than 6,000 years ago; and although today many will say they go back somewhat further than that, it's really not by much. Everyone will accept and admit that there's absolutely no written record of any civilisation 20,000 years ago, anywhere on earth. So the ball park figure stands.

Quote:
I feel like a lot of people are too rigid in their thinking because for some reason, they feel like it'll erode their whole belief system if they suddenly believe in evolution.

Whether or not this happens in individual cases, informed historians looking at the big picture do see a connection, e.g.:

Quote:
I myself have little doubt that in England it was geology and the theory of evolution that changed us from a Christian to a pagan nation.
(F. Sherwood Taylor, former curator of the Oxford Museum of the History of Science)

Quote:
Or if they believe the earth to only be 6000 years old, to realize it's not. We have to remember who the bible was written for, and how would they be able to understand all the scientific stuff God used to make the earth? What if he just told them simplistic versions instead of wasting tons of tablets and scrolls in explaining in detail how he created the world.

Simplistic doesn't spell outright deceptive. Like it's fine to tell a young child that they came from mummy's "tummy", but not that they were brought by a stork. Hebrew and Greek have their own words for long periods of time and very large numbers, e.g. the 200 million of Revelation 9:16, which is about the number of years ago dinosaurs are said to have first emerged.

Quote:
I've always pondered about how ancient gods like Zeus may have just be great warriors or kings whose stories grew bigger than they were, like how rumors spread around in our current cultures.

Indeed, "Jupiter" comes from Japheth (also the source of Greek/Roman Iapetus), and "Thor" from Tiras (Genesis 10:2), "Amun-Ra" from Ham, etc. Odin comes from another early ancestor Woden. If you're interested in these sorts of etymologies I recommend "After the Flood" by Bill Cooper who spent 25 years studying Genesis 10 and 11 (the Table of Nations) and found matches in contemporary ancient literature covering 99% of the names there.

Also, many "dragon" stories can't have been derived purely from fossils, e.g.:

Quote:
Dio [Cassius] the Roman [ad 155–236], who wrote the history of the Roman empire and republic, reports the following: One day, when Regulus, a Roman consul [3rd C. bc], was fighting against Carthage, a dragon suddenly crept up and settled behind the wall of the Roman army. The Romans killed it by order of Regulus, skinned it and sent the hide to the Roman senate. When the dragon’s hide, as Dio says, was measured by order of the senate, it happened to be, amazingly, one hundred and twenty feet long, and the thickness was fitting to the length.’

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

Vertetuesi wrote:
kamiyu910 wrote:
It's weird to me that humans could have been around for so long and not developed a more advanced society. Look at all we've done in just 6000 years! What happened the other 595,000 years?

This is a very good and under-considered point. In fact this sort of argument has been cogently made for hundreds of years (i.e. since well before evolution became a serious issue in western thought). For example Richard Baxter writing in the 1660s rhetorically asked sceptics how come there was no historical record or monuments of nations more than 6,000 years ago; and although today many will say they go back somewhat further than that, it's really not by much. Everyone will accept and admit that there's absolutely no written record of any civilisation 20,000 years ago, anywhere on earth. So the ball park figure stands.

Anthropologists have made a solid case for agriculture being the tipping point. They call it the Neolithic Revolution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neolithic_Revolution

Basically, when we spent millenia as hunter/gatherers, all the things we have come to call 'civilization' couldn't happen. Hunter/gatherer is an on-the-go way of life and you can't carry much with you or specialize to the degree needed for civilization. Some cave paintings, some very small religious carved items, that's it.

But agriculture made it possible for people to hunker down in one place, increase the population and start building villages>towns>cities.
Quote:
However, the Neolithic Revolution involved far more than the adoption of a limited set of food-producing techniques. During the next millennia it would transform the small and mobile groups of hunter-gatherers that had hitherto dominated human pre-history into sedentary (here meaning non-nomadic) societies based in built-up villages and towns. These societies radically modified their natural environment by means of specialized food-crop cultivation (e.g., irrigation and deforestation) which allowed extensive surplus food production. These developments provided the basis for densely populated settlements, specialization and division of labour, trading economies, the development of non-portable art and architecture, centralized administrations and political structures, hierarchical ideologies, depersonalized systems of knowledge (e.g., writing), and property ownership. Personal, land and private property ownership led to hierarchical society, class struggle and armies. The first full-blown manifestation of the entire Neolithic complex is seen in the Middle Eastern Sumerian cities (c. 5,500 BP), whose emergence also heralded the beginning of the Bronze Age.

Who is going to carry around clay writing tablets when they have to walk 100 miles in a week? Staying put was needed and agriculture was needed for that.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:12 pm

WOW i created that tread but not look at it because i have busy job schedule :D

I did not expect such interest in this thread, but I'm sure there are many theist aspies :D

I am a believer, but I do not believe in this nonsense about a young earth, or literally accepting that the earth was created literally in seven days, although it may be so. Bible should be understood as allegories

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 2:59 pm

Janissy wrote:
Anthropologists have made a solid case for agriculture being the tipping point. They call it the Neolithic Revolution.

Basically, when we spent millenia as hunter/gatherers, all the things we have come to call 'civilization' couldn't happen. Hunter/gatherer is an on-the-go way of life and you can't carry much with you or specialize to the degree needed for civilization. Some cave paintings, some very small religious carved items, that's it.

I think that's why my mom was contemplating the story of Cain and Abel as being the rise of agriculture and separation of the hunters and agricultural civilizations. She also pondered if the story of Adam and Eve was an analogy for how modern humans came to be.

rvacountrysinger
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2015, 3:12 pm

I am a devout Christian and I have Asperger's Syndrome. I guess people have a false belief that to have autism you lack imagination or right brained creative side, that just isn't true. I think Christianity makes sense to me.
There is a belief in moral absolute truths, and I definitely agree with that. There are tons of atheists who are not autistic- in fact probably moreso.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 4:58 pm

kamiyu910 wrote:
Janissy wrote:

I think that's why my mom was contemplating the story of Cain and Abel as being the rise of agriculture and separation of the hunters and agricultural civilizations. She also pondered if the story of Adam and Eve was an analogy for how modern humans came to be.

I totally agree with your Mom. In the thread about Pope Francis I made a long post about how I also think the story of Adam and Eve was an analogy for how modern humans came to be. I'll just quote it instead of trying to re-create it.

Janissy wrote:
I also think the story of Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden dovetails well with some aspects of human evolution. There are painful consequences to evolving a big brain and that story lays them out for you. Once Adam and Eve ate from the Tree of Knowledge (evolved a big brain) they got kicked out of Eden. No more 'ignorance is bliss'. Big brains are an evolutionary advantage but they make bliss pretty hard to come by. It's hard to be in Eden when you can actually worry about where your next meal is coming from instead of just being animalistically hungry (although you are that too). It's hard to be in Eden when you know what happens next as the gash on your leg turns black instead of healing.

Then there's the painful consequence specific to Eve (women) for eating from the Tree of Knowledge (evolving a big brain). Painful childbirth. That was God's punishment and it did happen pretty much literally as a consequence of big brains. Babies have big heads to hold their big brains and women have narrow hips to make upright walking possible. Those two things had to come together for our move from primate to hominid but painful childbirth is an inevitable consequence. The other apes stayed away from the Tree of Knowledge so they aren't as smart and are super ungainly for the very short periods they walk upright but their females have easier childbirth.

Poor Adam also now has to work non-stop as a consequence.
Quote:
therefore the LORD God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to the tree of life.

That actually sounds like a recounting not of evolution but of the development of agriculture, still an event millenia before the bible. Could stories have been passed down??? Hunter-gatherer is possible with a small population as long as you stay mobile. Anthropologists say it would be a less work-intense lifestyle than early agriculture. Less backbreaking work but also fewer calories so it can't support a large population. Once you settle down to agriculture (and work non stop) you get more calories from the grains and the population grows. But you can't go back. There might as well be an angel with a flaming sword stopping you.

Her idea about Cain and Abel also sounds very plausible. The splitting off may not have gone all that smoothly.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2015, 5:27 pm

Aspies also tend to be a lot more « loyal » on average so if « Christianity » has taken you under its wing it's not surprising that you would be oriented towards Christianity... especially if those Christians are respectable-types (I used to live amongst NON-American Christians, too, and they treated me very well & took very good care of my like their own family). For the time that I had lived with them, I struggled with my own Atheism, but experiences with them eventually « restored » some of my beliefs in God for a time, but I've had actually many transitions & paradigm-shifts throughout my life to cause me to be a four-times Atheist & a part of several different religions & spiritual-beliefs until I got into Para-Psychology for a time & even transcended that once I started putting « question everything » into serious practice (...because apparently a combination of Alienology & Quantum-Mechanics seems to be able to debunk everyone and everything).

rvacountrysinger wrote:
I am a devout Christian and I have Asperger's Syndrome. I guess people have a false belief that to have autism you lack imagination or right brained creative side, that just isn't true. I think Christianity makes sense to me.
There is a belief in moral absolute truths, and I definitely agree with that. There are tons of atheists who are not autistic- in fact probably moreso.

A lot of the « Atheists » within America, from what I can tell, have grown up within the « abusive » self-professing « Christian » house-holds, and as a result, the « Christians » that these Aspies were around did not nuture nor take care of these « Aspies » very well, and as a result, upon encountering other « refugees » who themselves escaped the horrors of child-abusing self-professing Christians, the Atheist-population became the first experience for many of these people who could finally fulfill their needs & resulting into lending their loyalty towards Atheism & resulted in becoming Atheists themselves.

Personally... I like being more Agnostic. I am not required to Prove or Dis-Prove anything & nobody puts me on the spot whether they be Skeptics or Believers, and even if they did, I can just use this guy as a Scape-Goat...