Who do you support for the Democratic nomination?

Page 5 of 14 [ 213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 14  Next

Who do you support for the Democratic nomination?
Hillary Clinton 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
Bernie Sanders 57%  57%  [ 31 ]
Joe Biden 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Jim Webb 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Martin O'Malley 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Lincoln Chafee 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Not voting Democrat 35%  35%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 54

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 12:42 pm

I just watched "Meet the Press", and here's the info, they had, regarding the Democrats:

Bernie Sanders, on the Issues

Voters, in Iowa, Don't Trust Hillary

Unfortunately, I didn't know Bernie was up next, and was in another room, when he came-on, and I STILL didn't get a good "measure" of how he feels about things.

Chuck Todd (MtP's host) did a "Man-on-the-Street"-type thing, and almost everybody he interviewed said they didn't trust Hillary----I realize it could've been edited, to show mostly negative responses, but.....

Anyway, there was one woman on there, that said she USED TO BE a huge fan of Hillary's. A man said, something like: "It's always something"----meaning, there's always something, more, that's negative, about her.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Aug 2015, 3:18 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Left wing economics can be fabulous ideas, however, they don't work because of human greed.

Bernie is probably a very nice guy, who really cares for people, and really wants to fix poverty, injustice and suffering. However, his plans to raise tax revenue to "fight" these problems won't work; It never works. It's foolish and destructive. And taxing is not moral IMO. I can't get past the "I am entitled to someone else's money".

What happens is that when money becomes available then people want that money for themselves.

For example, people want raises, to hire more staff, fund new spending projects, remodel the office, new computers, new company cars, trips for employees , middle men show up offering new services .... and sooner or later, hey, we need more money!

Capitalism is the answer. Services paid directly by the consumer. So the money does not pass through a 1000 greedy hands.

I said "evidence based" for a reason.

Government healthcare works. Government spending on infrastructure works (with qualifications). Government funded tuition fees work. Carbon taxes (or similar policies that one could reasonably call a tax) work. Government welfare works.

You've tried free-market universities - they've consigned millions to a lifetime of debt. You've tried free market healthcare - it's hugely inefficient and leaves many without the care they need (whilst this is the case everywhere, because funds will always be finite, it's particularly bad in America). The world has tried free market poverty alleviation, it works to an extent but not as well as a balanced approach. On that last point, it seems to me that Mr Sanders focuses more on the politics of envy than the politics of "helping poor people" (although of course many of his policies would do that), but that doesn't mean that public sector poverty relief is worthless or immoral. We've tried working without pollution regulation, but businesses polluted as much as possible.

Sources: Low tuition fees in much of Europe, and even the British system is much more subsidised than the American one
US spends more on public healthcare than most developed countries, but doesn't cover as many people and doesn't achieve good results for those who can afford it/are covered.
Welfare reduces poverty
Cap and trade works, carbon taxes work

You're allowed to think taxation is inherently immoral. Likewise, communists are allowed to think property is inherently immoral. Until either of you can prove that your alternatives work, I'll go with using taxation to solve problems that are worse than rich people being a little less rich.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 4:37 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Government healthcare works. Government spending on infrastructure works (with qualifications). Government funded tuition fees work. Carbon taxes (or similar policies that one could reasonably call a tax) work. Government welfare works.

Yet, it won't be long before a future politician says these programs are not working somehow, and we need more taxes to fix them. It's a repeated cycle.

Of course, greedy people will keep milking the cow until the milk is gone.

Locally, the union leaders *always* say the schools need more money. That's their job. The states pours more money into the schools, and sure enough, the union leader is saying how it's not enough. Problems exist still. See, it won't matter how much money you dump into the schools, greedy people will keep telling you how their program is not working (i.e., they will keep milking you until you run dry).

Historical behavior patterns is evidence.

The_Walrus wrote:
You've tried free-market universities - they've consigned millions to a lifetime of debt.

Free market people can be nasty, greedy, scoundrels.

However, in this instance, in the US, it's the government (Sallie Mae) guarantees that has permitted this.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Aug 2015, 7:33 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

Yet, it won't be long before a future politician says these programs are not working somehow, and we need more taxes to fix them. It's a repeated cycle.

That sort of hypothetical slippery slope is an argument against ever doing anything ever.

Do you deny that the problems exist? If you do, then which ones?

If you don't, then don't worry that fixing them will cause people to complain about fake issues in the future. You can examine their evidence when that happens, and if you don't think there's a problem, then you can say so.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 8:52 pm

Raptor wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:
More poor people have become rich here than anywhere else because capitalism does reward.

Wrong, like most everything else you say, but this one is so baldly, measurably wrong that it's comical. Socio-economic mobility is lower in America than in almost any other developed nation (Britain does slightly worse).

Why of course I'm wrong. All those immigrants without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of have and continue to flock to the US of A just to worsen their lot. Forget about all the business they have started practically with nothing but hard work and have built into small empires.

Seriously? Spend 15 friggin' seconds googling to check your facts. Social mobility is lower in the US than in almost all other developed countries - if your father was poor, you likely will be as well, even if you do work hard. If your father was rich, you have a good shot of being rich as well even if you're a lazy moron.

Quote:
Hell, I almost have more respect for the local drug lord that built his own empire out of poverty

You think life is an episode of Breaking Bad or something?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 9:53 pm

Raptor wrote:
...It's the sheer laziness and the want to rob others of their earnings that I have an issue with.

Not all people receiving social assistance are lazy thieves.

There are the physically/mentally challenged, those who just aren't very smart, and, yes, there are those who exploit the system. But these people aren't going to go away. And it would be worse to leave them to their own devices. We'd have more homelessness and crime. It's better for society to have a system in place to prevent this, even if some people take advantage.

And also, not all assistance is cash, in Canada there are programs to help people contribute as they can. You'd be surprised how many want to.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Aug 2015, 10:07 pm

John Bachtell.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bachtell

Why arse around with half-measures, when you can support a guy who openly wants to make the US more like Venezuela, right now?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2015, 10:33 pm

Orwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:
More poor people have become rich here than anywhere else because capitalism does reward.

Wrong, like most everything else you say, but this one is so baldly, measurably wrong that it's comical. Socio-economic mobility is lower in America than in almost any other developed nation (Britain does slightly worse).

Why of course I'm wrong. All those immigrants without a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of have and continue to flock to the US of A just to worsen their lot. Forget about all the business they have started practically with nothing but hard work and have built into small empires.

Seriously? Spend 15 friggin' seconds googling to check your facts.

Which facts, conservative or liberal?

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Aug 2015, 9:38 am

Presumably Orwell means "the real ones", not "the ones Raptor made up".

Reality is not political.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:45 am

What the walrus said. Measurable, quantifiable facts. Income and class mobility is lower in the US than in other developed countries. Check the academic literature on the topic. Real life in America is not a Horatio Alger fable.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Aug 2015, 11:15 am

Hillary is starting to have a real electability problem and it only seems like it will get worse, she will have to testify in front of congress in October relating to Benghazi and her emails and that will not endear her to voters. Bernie Sanders already leads Hillary in New Hampshire and several other states as well, her favorables in the tank, her head to head strength is weakening by the day. Dems better get an insurance plan fast,the Democratic field probably should be twice as big as it is now but they're all afraid of the Clinton machine.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 11:51 am

Orwell wrote:
What the walrus said. Measurable, quantifiable facts. Income and class mobility is lower in the US than in other developed countries. Check the academic literature on the topic. Real life in America is not a Horatio Alger fable.

Here we rank 3rd which is still far better than your gloomy “facts” on the matter.
http://orcap.co.uk/new-report-ranks-worlds-most-entrepreneurial-countries/
The Entrepreneurialism Measure
Rank Country
1 India
2 Turkey
3 United States
4 Brazil
5 China
6 Iceland
7 Ireland
8 Russian Federation
9 Estonia
10 Austria
Bottom
Rank Country
24 Spain
25 Portugal
26 Denmark
27 France
28 United Kingdom
29 Hungary
30 Italy
31 Germany
32 Belgium
33 Japan

This one ranks the US 1st followed by Canada

http://thegedi.org/research/gedi-index/

Numero uno here again:
http://thegedi.org/countries

And I was talking about entrepreneurialism, not which country hands out the most welfare. In that case we would be lacking but so what?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 12:54 pm

Orwell wrote:

I think it's important to add, in regard to the "Horatio Alger fable," that social mobility is not just to be measured in how many businesses can spring up, which never really encompasses the whole population anyway, but in how the everyday working Joe and Joan can make a good enough wage to be part of the middle class, have disposable income, and money in savings. I might add, they can dream of their children going on to college, as they have the money saved up to make it happen.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 1:16 pm

Quote:
she will have to testify in front of congress in October relating to and her emails and that will not endear her to voters.

I look forward to her testifying before congress over Benghazi but I won't assume that it'll do much to sway those (democrats) who already support her.
Hey, at least she's not a republican.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 2:36 pm

Raptor wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Here we rank 3rd which is still far better than your gloomy “facts” on the matter.
Rank Country
1 India
2 Turkey
3 United States
4 Brazil
5 China
6 Iceland
7 Ireland
8 Russian Federation
9 Estonia
10 Austria
Bottom
Rank Country
24 Spain
25 Portugal
26 Denmark
27 France
28 United Kingdom
29 Hungary
30 Italy
31 Germany
32 Belgium
33 Japan

Numero uno here again:

And I was talking about entrepreneurialism, not which country hands out the most welfare. In that case we would be lacking but so what?

Wasn't talking about the rate of entrepreneurship. Was talking about economic mobility. People who are already rich starting businesses isn't that impressive. People who start life poor and then become rich is the measure.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 2:43 am

Orwell wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Orwell wrote:

Rank Country
1 India
2 Turkey
3 United States
4 Brazil
5 China
6 Iceland
7 Ireland
8 Russian Federation
9 Estonia
10 Austria
Bottom
Rank Country
24 Spain
25 Portugal
26 Denmark
27 France
28 United Kingdom
29 Hungary
30 Italy
31 Germany
32 Belgium
33 Japan

Numero uno here again:

Wasn't talking about the rate of entrepreneurship.
But I was and you replied to me. I sure as hell wouldn't claim that people on the dole are getting rich. You have to really know how to game the system to even make out well while on relief.
Quote:
Was talking about economic mobility.
Eco-nomic-mo-bil-it-tee; boy that's really a mouthful for an unlettered churl like me to grasp.[/quote]
Quote:
People who are already rich starting businesses isn't that impressive. People who start life poor and then become rich is the measure.
Entrepreneurialism isn't necessarily about the rich getting richer and I think you know that.

Whatever, I'm done with this little sidebar with you.