Why do so many of my people believe in God?

Page 4 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 9:44 am

trayder wrote:

Consciousness as in self awareness of cause and effect is a logic driven mechanism.

I need more information to sync with what you are saying...
Please elaborate...

And please explain how this is relevant to what I had written...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

SilverStar wrote:
Nobody really knows for sure what happens to us when we die, other than the fact that our bodies decompose, and return to the earth, only to turn into something else again.

Beg to differ...
What theists refer to as a soul...
A non-theist might think of as our genetic coding...

All we are...
All that we will be...is encapsulated in our biological housing...

Without a brain we have no mind...
No personality...
No morality...
No value system...
No self awareness...
No awareness...
No nuffin... ;)

Quote:
These things will probably always be a mystery to us. Is there a god? Maybe, maybe not. Nobody knows for sure. The one reason why everybody believes in god, is to give us answers to things we can't explain, and don't understand.

To some who are happy to work with probabilities rather than absolutes, near enough is good enough... :mrgreen:

There are a plethora of sign posts suggesting the truth of our existence...
These can be accessed via:
*Anthropological studies...
*Historical and excavational evidence...
*Biological examination...
*Psychological exploration...
*Astronomical relevance...
*Evolutionary indicators...
But most importantly/critically, via the use of objective reasoning to interconnect/amalgamate all these these pieces of the puzzle...

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 2:21 pm

Pepe, I'm pretty well sure if you spent a lifetime arguing with Thoma Aquinas you wouldn't arive at a conclusion. Knowing God cannot come from the intellect. It has to be a revelation and that would be the end of questions. It is something available to the simplest of people. It is usually found when people are willing to pray for an individual.

I am sure you are aware of the view certain scientists take about consciousness these days. I assume it is not to your liking.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

17 Aug 2015, 5:49 pm

Grebels wrote:
Pepe, I'm pretty well sure if you spent a lifetime arguing with Thoma Aquinas you wouldn't arive at a conclusion. Knowing God cannot come from the intellect. It has to be a revelation and that would be the end of questions. It is something available to the simplest of people. It is usually found when people are willing to pray for an individual.

I am sure you are aware of the view certain scientists take about consciousness these days. I assume it is not to your liking.

I dont know about the others on here but I find these calls to accept something on someones elses mystic experiences really offputting.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 6:17 pm

trayder wrote:
Grebels wrote:
Pepe, I'm pretty well sure if you spent a lifetime arguing with Thoma Aquinas you wouldn't arive at a conclusion. Knowing God cannot come from the intellect. It has to be a revelation and that would be the end of questions. It is something available to the simplest of people. It is usually found when people are willing to pray for an individual. I am sure you are aware of the view certain scientists take about consciousness these days. I assume it is not to your liking.
I dont know about the others on here but I find these calls to accept something on someones elses mystic experiences really offputting.
Asking you to believe in something that I believe in just because I believe in it would be rude, if not against the basics of reason (Follow the link below).

Fallacy of Appeal to Faith

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2015, 6:48 pm

Many people also mis-identify various phenomena.
Saw an alien/UFO ? May have been attributed to being angels or God.
Hearing voices or some voice in your head from out of nowhere ?
Once more, may be mistakenly identified as God, angels, demons/nephilim if paranoid-religious, etc.

Another issue is how someone may have lived all of their lives in complete misery & unhappiness, but then encounters some life-experience for the first time that lifts their burden or allows them to feel freedom or positivity in the first time of their entire life, then they might equate the lifting of stress as being the same thing as intervention by God. Look up the many « why I am no longer a Christian » stories & you'll see that, when it comes to any extreme changes in beliefs, such as what I had experienced multiple times during this earth-life, such a thing is usually accompanied by extreme amounts of stress in some form or another (I have had a lot of practice which is why I can basically brush things off that would lead the vast majority of people in this world into suicide).

P.S. : I am going to now make this grandiose claim that I am a voice/prophet of God. What « God » apparently wants me to tell you, who believe in God, regards the fact that your treatment of others has more to do with your after-life destination than whether you believe that there is a God or not (Absolutely rich due to the fact that those who had engaged in activities like pogroms, crusades, inquisitions, witch-hunts, holocausts, etc., whilst proclaiming to go to heaven, were simply deceived by God instead [also, I will make another Grandiose-Claim, and that in these End-Days, the identity of Satan/Anti-Christ is none other than God itself !]).

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 1:34 am

MarketAndChurch wrote:

That's exactly right, but it isn't out of emotions that concern my own wellbeing. My primary reason for wanting for a God to exist is a deep-seated passion against injustice. I don't know if I'd more want for the good to be rewarded, or the bad to be punished, but injustice in this lifetime irks me greatly, to no end. There is the fact that I'd like for a great number of people to have the dignity of their personhood restored, but even more so, I'd like to believe that that there will be yet a final reckoning following this lifetime that deals with all of our transgressions against each other, if not for the simple fact that knowing that your actions in this lifetime will determine where you end up in the next, and hopefully people will rape and murder and torture and lie and cheat a lot less. It's been a concern of mine since I was a child, and has only grown as I've entered adulthood.

It doesn't justify a system of emotional blackmail...
Very unethical... ;)

Quote:
But I want a God to exist, and for people to believe one exists(even if he doesn't) because I think it'll effect their behavior in this lifetime vis-a-vis one another for the better, and I say this fully acknowledging the drawbacks that come with it.

That isn't the aspie way, grasshopper... ;)

Quote:
But my only point with the original comment you cited is that wanting to believe a God exists, doesn't come at the expense of logic. The part of me that wants to believe in the existence of a deity doesn't sacrifice logic, and my belief in God is also logical and not simply emotions based. For example, I hold firmly to the understanding, that intelligence comes from intelligence, and that an intelligent something, cannot come from a non-intelligent nothing... that in fact, there was a mind behind creation who thought up the parameters of existence and the architecture of the cosmos. I mean, numbers permeate the material and the non-material, and I don't think an orgy of rogue psychotic numbers could have accidentally assembled the formulas governing the natural world.\

Would you agree that if there were a "creator", he/she got many things wrong?
Ergo, is not perfect?
If you don't, how do you explain miscarriages, for example?

Quote:
That having been said... I think you're right. It is that inherently built-in desire to have meaning that leads *most* people to believe in God.

Hence:
"God did not make man...
Man made god"...in his image...to service his emotional needs... :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 2:29 am

Grebels wrote:

Apparently there are brain lesions which can produce "revelations" also... ;)

Regarding Thomas Aquinas...
Interesting...
However... ;)
How many believers, past and present, bore their belief through exposure to his muse-inations?

It is not enough to inherit a conclusion through accident or the accident of birth...
To gain intellectual/conceptual integrity, one must earn/work for it...

Totally irrelevant to our discussion, I admit, but an interesting concept just the same, would you not agree? ;)

Would you prefer I renege on my inherent, god given ;) desire for intellectual exploration?
Should I give up my hard won methodology used to carve out my understanding of "life, the universe and everything..."

For what?
A belief system which treated many so poorly...
A belief system which left many to the wolves?
In pits of despair, of confusion, of terror?

No my friend...
The line must be drawn here...
This far...
No farther!
And I will make them pay for what they've done! :twisted:

MarketAndChurch
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 2:49 am

Pepe wrote:
MarketAndChurch wrote:

That's exactly right, but it isn't out of emotions that concern my own wellbeing. My primary reason for wanting for a God to exist is a deep-seated passion against injustice. I don't know if I'd more want for the good to be rewarded, or the bad to be punished, but injustice in this lifetime irks me greatly, to no end. There is the fact that I'd like for a great number of people to have the dignity of their personhood restored, but even more so, I'd like to believe that that there will be yet a final reckoning following this lifetime that deals with all of our transgressions against each other, if not for the simple fact that knowing that your actions in this lifetime will determine where you end up in the next, and hopefully people will rape and murder and torture and lie and cheat a lot less. It's been a concern of mine since I was a child, and has only grown as I've entered adulthood.

It doesn't justify a system of emotional blackmail...
Very unethical... ;)

If a God exists, as I believe to be the case, and demands we be ethical to one another, then it isn't emotional blackmail to tell people to be good to each other or else they'll pay the consequences for their indecency to one another in the next lifetime. That isn't emotional blackmail. That's what an ethical and non-interventionist deity ought to do.

Quote:
Quote:
But I want a God to exist, and for people to believe one exists(even if he doesn't) because I think it'll effect their behavior in this lifetime vis-a-vis one another for the better, and I say this fully acknowledging the drawbacks that come with it.

That isn't the aspie way, grasshopper... ;)

The beautiful thing about aspies is that if you meet one aspie, you've only met one aspie. In other words, the spectrum of asperger minds is pretty broad enough where there is more then enough room for multiple, competing narratives coming out of, and being held by our people. But anyways... that's just my emotional yearnings. My belief in a God existing functions independent of that yearning, and isn't me animated by an emotional position that I spend my time rationalizing. If God was proven not to exist tomorrow, as fact, I'd still have that yearning, even if I openly acknowledge to myself its running counter to logic and fact.

Quote:
Quote:
But my only point with the original comment you cited is that wanting to believe a God exists, doesn't come at the expense of logic. The part of me that wants to believe in the existence of a deity doesn't sacrifice logic, and my belief in God is also logical and not simply emotions based. For example, I hold firmly to the understanding, that intelligence comes from intelligence, and that an intelligent something, cannot come from a non-intelligent nothing... that in fact, there was a mind behind creation who thought up the parameters of existence and the architecture of the cosmos. I mean, numbers permeate the material and the non-material, and I don't think an orgy of rogue psychotic numbers could have accidentally assembled the formulas governing the natural world.\

Would you agree that if there were a "creator", he/she got many things wrong?
Ergo, is not perfect?
If you don't, how do you explain miscarriages, for example?

To be perfectly honest, I'm not sure in what way you mean that question. I don't know of any human mind who could have created all that entails existence, so I don't know what one would measure God's successes of creation against. I don't know why a miscarriage is something God got wrong, if that event is biologically correct given the set of circumstances that bring on a miscarriage. Unless of course, a "correct" or even "moral" God is one that you'd rather have intervene on behalf of a mother who is undergoing that? And unsuccessful miscarriages would be relative to God's successes? Or the vast majority of human suffering, which is man-made?

According to Genesis, God acknowledged he made a mistake in creating us humans, and that in making us in his mirror image, may not be able to fully predict the human future. But not being able to foresee the trajectory of a free creature, is different from not being able to predict the more predictable natural world, and is hardly a case for God being imperfect, weak, or incapable. Line up all of God's successes against his failures, does the latter have anything on the former?

Quote:
Quote:
That having been said... I think you're right. It is that inherently built-in desire to have meaning that leads *most* people to believe in God.

Hence:
"God did not make man...
Man made god"...in his image...to service his emotional needs... :wink:

No I'm aware of that atheist narrative, but maybe our creator instilled that unnatural longing - alongside of other unnatural abilities - into us. We transcend animals in so many ways, that yearning being one of them, maybe there's something to it. Our animal emotions is only a reaction to a conscious awareness that causes us to question things like this, not the other way around.

And just as an aside, whether man made up God or not, is independent of whether a God exists. The latter being something that ought to be debated on its merits, and not disqualified by what humans want, or in the case of many secular people today, don't want.

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2015, 8:48 pm

Quote:
So my question is this. Why is it that with our superior minds and above average logic, so many of my fellow aspies believe in a higher power? Im just trying to understand why they would reject logic so extemely in this one circumstance,

I'm not a believer. However, i don't think logic necessarily leads one to not believe. I don't think a god can be logically proved or disproved. I will say that logic does cause me to reject a lot of the ridiculous religious dogma out there.

I don't agree with the idea that autistic people have superior minds either. Just different.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:46 am

Cash__ wrote:

I'm not a believer. However, i don't think logic necessarily leads one to not believe.

But it helps... ;)

Quote:
I don't think a god can be logically proved or disproved. I will say that logic does cause me to reject a lot of the ridiculous religious dogma out there.

Everyone makes mistakes from time to time...
But if there are consistent errors proliferating, credibility suffers...
Same applies to philosophical systems... ;)

Quote:
I don't agree with the idea that autistic people have superior minds either. Just different.

Some have...
Some don't...
As in all groups...

But to suggest that all HFA are superior because some are, is a logical nonsense based on simple observation...
Look at that guy over there... :mrgreen:

Grebels
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 4:58 am

Pepe, I have been very much hurt by people in the Christian ministry. That was damaging to my faith, but I managed to hold on knowing that people will be people. It may be they love their bit of power. Being easily hurt doesn't help, although now I'm inclined to let such people know exactly what I think of them. I don't care what position they hold, my respect has to be earnt.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 5:30 am

What starts out with good intentions is often infiltrated & replaced with Double-Speak (i.e.: Euphemisms).

Grebels wrote:
Pepe, I have been very much hurt by people in the Christian ministry. That was damaging to my faith, but I managed to hold on knowing that people will be people. It may be they love their bit of power. Being easily hurt doesn't help, although now I'm inclined to let such people know exactly what I think of them. I don't care what position they hold, my respect has to be earnt.

Here is something that I pulled from a You-Tube comment that exposes Double-Speak Christianity...
You-Tube Comments wrote:
TheUnclehammy (1 week ago) wrote:
+Rob Skiba Hey Brother Rob,,,I agree with you,,,but what I think most people miss is that not only can "circle" refer to the shape of the flat Earth,,,,but circle, especially in older times (still exists in the dictionary) would refer to a realm, dimension of reality, sphere of existence,,,like Dante's Inferno and the Circles of Hell..... I have found a conspiracy that is as big if not bigger than the shape of the Earth... It is the conspiracy of language. Changing words and meanings to deceive people...Jesus is the Word of God, so of course our enemy uses words to trick us...They do it with evolution,,,say its' a fact, while meaning micro,,but leading people to believe they are referring to macro. Words like everything in this fallen world have a dual nature... I have made some videos on this topic,,,,the Lord has led me to this information,,and all can be verified 100% with just using the dictionary.. Just as the Luciferians call themselves "Christians" to deceive,,, they aren't technically lying,,,they are Christians,,,they are waiting for their Christ,,,their messiah,,,Apollyon.....So much more on this topic,,,especially in the "LEGAL" system... They even have their own dictionary filled with common words with very different meanings... The Bible speaks of this,,,it is the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law...God bless you Brother and thanks for your work for our Lord Jesus Christ...

...that was in response to this comment...
Rob Skiba (1 week ago) wrote:
+coleplacemb Yeah. I saw that. They gave ZERO support for their view that "chug" CAN mean sphere. It does not and never did. Isaiah knows the difference between a ball (Isaiah 22:18) and a circle (Isaiah 40:22). They are wrong concerning Scripture in this regard.

Why have I been looking into this « flat-earth » conspiracy ? Have I lost my mind & gone senile ? I know it sounds like the most-ridiculous thing to hear that the earth is actually been flat all along but consider when people make comments like this to videos that claim to debunk flat-earthers...
Kim Heng 1 month ago wrote:
+PressResetRadio Damn it I wanted so much to use this point, but I have to admit that
Shen Jamyn has a good counter point in that nobody ever shows real
pictures (that are not from NASA or RASA) only cartoons or paintings
when proving a point. All you did was start with the old premise of "If
the earth is a ball, then..." I want so bad to believe that's it's a
ball, but that video of the Apollo astronauts faking that distance and
shape of the earth proves that they lie about things they should not
have to lie about. Also, why am I learning earth science in school, but finance, taxes, and
pretty much anything about money (debt) is not really mentioned? When I
graduate I'm not going to use a damn thing I learned in my earth
science class, but I'll bet I'll have to earn a living, pay taxes, and
vote for some lying piece of .... Hey, my class mates and I don't know
where the money is coming from, why it has to be borrowed into
existence, or that there's a difference between paper and gold, but I
will graduate knowing that the earth is a ball. Again, please show the actual pictures of what you are talking about,
don't show me cartoons, paintings, or any computer graphics. It's 2015,
there has to be pictures somewhere. I want so bad to believe you, but I
just got my ass handed to me by a flat earther two days ago. I felt like
a fool. Thanks globular earthers.

Don't mind the silliness of the subject (i.e.: Flat-Earth). The point is in regards to Double-Speak.
Luciferian-Christianity, Satanic-Christianity, versus Spiritual/True-Christianity, etc.

trayder
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2015, 2:43 pm

Cash__ wrote:
Quote:
So my question is this. Why is it that with our superior minds and above average logic, so many of my fellow aspies believe in a higher power? Im just trying to understand why they would reject logic so extemely in this one circumstance,

I'm not a believer. However, i don't think logic necessarily leads one to not believe. I don't think a god can be logically proved or disproved. I will say that logic does cause me to reject a lot of the ridiculous religious dogma out there.

Its not a case of proving or disproving something more one of looking at tendencies inherent in something whether it be a living entitiy or an inorganic system.

Thus when you look at man who is an evolutionary WIP on the consciousness spectrum, you will note that the vast majority still function on the subjective end of the spectrum and for whom reality is still primeval, driven by primordial need for resources and security. There is a constant battle underway epitomised in the wars and the skewed often illogical social relations.

You see this in the inorganic as well. Capitalism has certain tendencies. Globalisation is one, the other is the paradoxical destruction of that globe in the process.

A sharp objectivity can detect these tendencies which includes the godly one.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:05 pm

trayder wrote:

Its not a case of proving or disproving something more one of looking at tendencies inherent in something whether it be a living entitiy or an inorganic system.

Thus when you look at man who is an evolutionary WIP on the consciousness spectrum, you will note that the vast majority still function on the subjective end of the spectrum and for whom reality is still primeval, driven by primordial need for resources and security. There is a constant battle underway epitomised in the wars and the skewed often illogical social relations.

You see this in the inorganic as well. Capitalism has certain tendencies. Globalisation is one, the other is the paradoxical destruction of that globe in the process.

A sharp objectivity can detect these tendencies which includes the godly one.

"True dat"...

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 9:09 pm

Nambo wrote:
I would say the primitive mind believes in God, then the superior mind learns all the things others tell it to believe and so it no longer believes in God and feels superior than the primitive mind that believes without thinking.
Next comes the very superior mind that can think for itself and can contemplate and consider the claimed logic of others, this mind tends to believe in God again.
That's why there are so many here, Aspies are intelligent who don't just absorb somebody else's intellect but prefer to use their own.

Are you serious?