US State of Georgia renames confederate holidays

Page 1 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 8:23 pm

http://www.wyff4.com/national/georgia-renames-confederate-holidays/34624780

Quote:
For years, Confederate Memorial Day and Robert E. Lee's birthday have been on Georgia's official state holiday calendar.

Not any more.

The two holidays have been struck from the official calendar and replaced with the innocuous term "state holiday."

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 8:34 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Quote:
For years, Confederate Memorial Day and Robert E. Lee's birthday have been on Georgia's official state holiday calendar.

Not any more.

The two holidays have been struck from the official calendar and replaced with the innocuous term "state holiday."

Thus begins the cultural sanitisation.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm

adifferentname wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
Quote:
For years, Confederate Memorial Day and Robert E. Lee's birthday have been on Georgia's official state holiday calendar. Not any more. The two holidays have been struck from the official calendar and replaced with the innocuous term "state holiday."
Thus begins the cultural sanitisation.
Thus begins the maturation of Southern cultural identity.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:05 pm

How the hell did we ever tolerate that sort of nonsense? Didn't anyone tell these bastards they lost the war?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm

Orwell wrote:
How the hell did we ever tolerate that sort of nonsense? Didn't anyone tell these bastards they lost the war?
Maybe they're waiting for Robert E. Lee to rise up from his tomb, see his shadow, and give us six more years of the War of Southern Secession.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:14 pm

I didn't even know there was a Confederate Memorial Day, to be perfectly honest. I understand the intent of memorializing the dead, but making it a paid state holiday is relatively questionable. Why make a state holiday out of observing a secessionist confederacy? Seems relatively unpatriotic to me.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:28 pm

Skibz888 wrote:
I didn't even know there was a Confederate Memorial Day, to be perfectly honest. I understand the intent of memorializing the dead, but making it a paid state holiday is relatively questionable. Why make a state holiday out of observing a secessionist confederacy? Seems relatively unpatriotic to me.

We're talking about a state that added the stars & bars to it's state flag 90 years after it lost the war. In a wacky coincidence that had nothing at all to do with the civil rights movement or brown v. board of education.

And then took it back out 14 years ago.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:43 pm

Hopefully Rick Scott doesn't follow with these stupid book burning activities it's northern neighbors are currently doing.
Jeb's actions were more than enough.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm

AntDog wrote:
Hopefully Rick Scott doesn't follow with these stupid book burning activities it's northern neighbors are currently doing.

Forget Jeb, you've got Skeletor in the governor's mansion right now.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm

What? It's almost like the Confederacy is intrinsically tied to racist ideologies, but that doesn't seem right at all. :?

When William T. Thompson designed the precursor to the modern Confederate flag in 1863 by saying its emblem was of "a superior race", clearly he was talking about bicycling...after all, what is a "racist" if not someone who participates in a race?

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 9:53 pm

Orwell wrote:
AntDog wrote:

Forget Jeb, you've got Skeletor in the governor's mansion right now.

But Voldemort is awesome to have as governor!! ! :roll: He just has to cast Avada Kedavra on our problems. 8)

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2015, 11:33 pm

More fuel for the fire -- it turns out that Confederate Memorial Day is set on the anniversary of the surrender to Union forces.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/history-archaeology/lizzie-rutherford-1833-1873

They should call it General William Tecumseh Sherman Day.

Unsure how they should celebrate it. Perhaps by kicking their own backsides.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2015, 4:27 am

Skibz888 wrote:

Jeez, you might as well have Benedict Arnold day!

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:20 am

:roll:
You liberals know you're protesting freedom of expression, dont you?
Wait, wait, wait; I forgot it's a selective right decided by enlightened liberal intellectuals.
My bad.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:48 am

For a foreigner it sounds a bit hypocritical, either completely dump the holidays or keep them...
It is something like using December Holidays, while you mean Christmas.

It sounds like political correctness. A disease that is also affecting the Netherlands. Sometimes it is good a holiday has a darker side to it or a name that marks the origing, then people realize the world is not only happy-sunshine or realize a country has a culture and history.

glebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2015, 10:51 am

Orwell wrote:

Being the descendant of Union soldiers ( three who died in the war ), I have always been offended by the " Lost Cause" mythology. I vote we pull a General Sherman on them. You know, kick their butts and burn down their houses. :x