I have now decided : The Earth is actually FLAT...!

Page 3 of 10 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10  Next

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 6:29 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
About: where the sun goes.

Well...a Concorde making a sonic boom doesn't work that way. You don't hear a sonic boom if it happened directly overhead. You hear the event miles away.

But yes: a subsonic plane (or helicopter, or blimp) flying overhead will make its droning sound overhead that you can hear while its overhead.

Likewise if the Goodyear blimp were lit up at night like a flare it would look like the sun. And its motion would mimic the suns across the sky. And the blimp would "set" as it disappeared over the horizon also mimicking sunset. That much I follow.

Okay- I thought you were gonna say that the sun goes underneath the flat earth, but that's not your theory. Though that IS what the ancients thought, and what the Bible implies ( written before all of this round earth stuff came into vogue).

So according to you the Sun always stays above the side of the flat earth that we live on (is that correct?). So...the Sun is like a glowing Goodyear Blimp that just cruises around in the earth's atmosphere a couple hundred miles above the Earth's surface in a big circle part way between the north pole and the circular edge of the earth (what the "south pole" actually is). I assume that it follows the Equator where it appears to be overhead at the Equinox. Am I right so far?

So the Sun doesn't really "set". It just gets obscured by the atmosphere because it gets so far away.

If that's the idea then there are many problems with this idea.

Among them: why does the sun appear to "set" over the horizon?

If the planet were really flat then- both the hypothetical glowing blimp, and the Sun (if the Sun really were this small close body)would NEVER actually disappear over the horizon. The sun would gradually get closer and closer to the Horizon, and would gradually get both smaller (because of distance) and dimmer (because of both distance, and the atmosphere). But it's doubtful that it would EVER totally disappear. But if it did it would look a cigarette butt gradually going out in the sky ( a tiny light getting gradually dimmer because its dimness is caused by the atmosphere obscuring it), but while lit it would never quite appear to dip below the horizon.

But what actually happens is: the sun stays the same big size in the sky, AND it stays the same brightness in the sky. But it gradually falls below the horizon. The ancient flat earthers explained this by assuming that the Sun goes underneath the flat earth. But you modern flat earthers don't have an explanation for it as far as I can see.

AND you all are just as at odds with the Bible as round earthers are! Damn you! ( I am joking here, but my point is that some modern flat Earthers are motivated by religion, and don't even realize that their modern brand of flat Earthism is at least as counter to the Bible as round Earthism is, if not more so).

This was another reason I though proved the Earth must be a globe, but now I am not so sure, the reason being, perspective, and the "Vanishing Point", just like parallel railway lines meet in the distance, then you cannot see them anymore, even though they might carry on forever, the ground in front of you rises, and the sky above you descends, until they meet at the horizon, you then don't see anything further.
I wonder if light itself disappears at the vanishing point?
So, if the sun travels away from you, parallel to the ground, it would appear to get lower from your perspective, until it meets the vanishing point at the horizon, then disappears from our vision.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 7:15 pm

But the same effect of perspective would also make the sun's disk look progressively smaller as it approaches the vanishing point. It would intercept progressively less of an angle. It would maintain its round shape, but would get progressively smaller (like the light on the back of a train). become star sized. And then cigarette butt sized. Then finally vanish.

That's exactly what the Sun does NOT do. It stays the same size (intercepts the same degrees of arc in the sky). The disk of the sun stays the same size all day, and even at sunset it maintains its apparent size while it disappears at the horizon bottom first.

So it cant be just receding laterally from the viewer like the light on a caboose. It has to be moving down in the sky. Which means either: (A) it really IS moving down (to later come really literally come up in the dawn) meaning that the Sun is a satellite of the Earth, or (B) the sun is stationary and its the Earth that's spinning on its axis.

If the former than the earth could be either round or flat . If the later then it would have to be round. But either way the sun gets blocked from the viewer by the earth which would be impossible in the Modern Flat Earth Model in which the sun stays above the earth's surface.

Even the Ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead (in which the sun rides in the boat of Ra through the sky, and then goes through the underworld pulled along by the spirits of the dead before rising at dawn again) makes more scientific sense than this modern flat earth theory because it conforms better to the Sun's observed behavior. :D

But even though the Egyptian myth is both more poetic and more scientific than modern flat earthism, I am still going with the modern notion that the earth is round and goes around the sun.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 7:38 pm

If the Earth was flat, we wouldn't have so many time zones. The circumference of the earth would be considerably less. It wouldn't be able to rotate on its axis.

Most importantly, somebody would have discovered the "end" of the earth via ship by now.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 7:48 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But the same effect of perspective would also make the sun's disk look progressively smaller as it approaches the vanishing point. It would intercept progressively less of an angle. It would maintain its round shape, but would get progressively smaller (like the light on the back of a train). become star sized. And then cigarette butt sized. Then finally vanish.

That's exactly what the Sun does NOT do. It stays the same size (intercepts the same degrees of arc in the sky). The disk of the sun stays the same size all day, and even at sunset it maintains its apparent size while it disappears at the horizon bottom first.

Yes, that's true.
Its the 24 hour Antarctic summer sun and the counter rotating star field that prevent me believing in a flat earth, fun though as the concept might sound.
I have yet to find reasons though why the Earth is not stationary and a small sun orbits it.
Somewhere I have a DVD with a program that shows a geocentric model that works just as well as the heliocentric.

When I see such as the following, it makes me wary of anything the experts and scientists tell us to believe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If the Earth was flat, we wouldn't have so many time zones. The circumference of the earth would be considerably less. It wouldn't be able to rotate on its axis.

Most importantly, somebody would have discovered the "end" of the earth via ship by now.

I already asked about the "edge" of the earth.

The "edge" of the Earth is in Antarctica according to the videos posted by the OP (see above in the thread). :roll:

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2015, 8:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Maybe Amelia Earhart flew over the edge and got lost.

jera71
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Mar 2016, 5:22 pm

Butterfly88 wrote:
I'm going to go with Christopher Columbus and scientists on this and say the earth is round.

well I hate to tell you but Christopher was a freemason and if u remember the big symbol of the knights of templars on the boat right with these 2 evidences you can conclude that the data collected by his travels really wasnt actual facts...

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2016, 1:53 am

eric76 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Maybe Amelia Earhart flew over the edge and got lost.

Since we all now know the truth (that the Earth is flat, and that the Sun is only the size of a good year blimp, and goes around the Earth) we also now know what really happened to Amelia Earhart!

Malaysian Flight 370, and Amelia Earhart, both made the same mistake that Icarus (of Greek mythology) made.They Flew too close to the sun causing their wings to melt!

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTXnJF5MnHQ
Check out this mythbusters video
The external camera has a fish eye lens and makes the earth look curved.

The internal camera clearly shows a flat horizon at 70,000ft
At 7:28

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 6:42 am

Humanaut wrote:
Actually, it is not only flat, but hollow too.

A dyson... plane?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 8:26 am

^Maybe he is confused.

There was a theory that the Earth is-yes-round, but that we live on the INSIDE of the round earth.

The planets, and starsthe sun, and the moon, are little objects hanging in the air inside the hollow earth. When you circumnavigate the earth your sailing around the inside surface of the hollow earth, and folks on the other side of the earth are actually straight up above our heads walking around upside down relative to us on the opposite inside surface of the big spherical hole that is the heavens.

For a while the Nazis actually bought into this theory and set up telescopes on outposts on an island off Norway to look straight up through the sky to spy on allied countries on the other side of the earth.For some reason it didnt work. Lol!

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 8:53 am

slenkar wrote:

Did anyone look yet?

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 8:39 pm

Why the Earth cannot be flat.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2016, 10:11 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Yes. The Evidence is quite the Mind-Blowing. This Earth is more-likely to be FLAT than a Sphere.

You are partially right. The spherical manifold (surface of a three dim. sphere ) is -locally- differentiomorphic to a small region of a flat Euclidean space. However the mappings are local and must be patched together. The total surface of a sphere is not differentiomorphic to a plane.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 10:19 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Why the Earth cannot be flat.

There is no reason to assume gravity would attract everything to a central point under the north pole.

Did you check out the video I just posted in this thread?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 6:34 pm

slenkar wrote:
slenkar wrote:

Did anyone look yet?

I looked. Dont know what you're talking about. The scene at 7:28 is of a curved horizon, while the Mythbuster guy in the plane is talking about how "the horizon looks curved".