Page 3 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 12:22 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
[moved from general autism discussion to PPR]

Fnord wrote:
I'm sure that he'd make a fine Führer ...

not quite sure he can match ol' adolf in the public speaking category.

the latter managed to captivate an entire nation and practically oozed charisma...but i can expect some backpaddling or damage control from trump in the near future (or not). clearly not many liked what he said. :P

Hitler was not actually all that much more charismatic nor a noticeably better speaker than the best of today's GOP/TP field. Like them, he took advantage of a segment of the population who had ego needs to be met and fuelled them with hate filled rhetoric. What he had that today's group didn't have was a very proud nation that had recently been put in its place. Although that is paralleled in a minor way by Christian extremists and LGBT rights, and although the economy has taken a dip, neither is currently at the extreme tipping point he enjoyed and took advantage of back in the late 1930's.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 1:46 pm

Yes, it's not as bad as pre-WWII Germany, thankfully. And Americans as a people are more individualistic and less authoritarian than Germans were back then. So I don't think it would be another Holocaust, but I do think that here and there, people would die, and a lot of people would be treated unfairly. If Trump were dictating any appreciable part of the government's policy, I would expect an uptick in police shootings, jail/prison deaths, and hate crimes against minorities of all types--LGBT, racial, religious, disabled, and women primarily. I would not expect Americans to be targeted in any systematic way--the more systematic abuse would probably be perpetrated against immigrants and people who live in countries other than America, especially in the Middle East.

A good way to protect your community against this is to forge connections with those who are likely to be targeted--Muslims, immigrants, LGBT people, etc. I don't mean some kind of weird gotta-catch-em-all token friend group; I just mean get to know your neighbors, know who they are as people. Social isolation makes people vulnerable to abuse (and we know that firsthand!)--so make sure that you connect with people of all sorts, so that nobody can be isolated, cornered, and have no one to go to for help when they are attacked. You don't have to be a social butterfly with dozens of friends; it's enough just to know and be known by others. When a person is known as an individual, it is much harder to dehumanize them.

Many people in the resistance in WWII Germany and surrounding occupied countries weren't politically opinionated or particularly heroic; they were simply helping friends and neighbors. They seem to have done what they did quite naturally. Their connections with people different from themselves saved lives--even in the extreme environment of Nazi Germany.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 2:41 pm

^ Callista, this is very astute appraisal of the two different situations. Especially what you say about getting to know people as people rather than as members of an ethic group etc is so true - and very necessary in our atomised societies. I love the point about people helping strangers in occupied Europe; for any European this certainly rings true.

Trump and Hitler differ in one particular, perhaps essential way: Adolf Hitler genuinely believed in his doctrine, and had the willpower and charisma to put his twisted ideas into practice. If you have ever seen recordings of any of his speeches, especially at Nuremberg, you'll know what I mean. You don't have to agree with him to be carried away by his presence.

Trump, on the other hand, seems to lack ideas and substance. Put bluntly, he simply has a big mouth.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 3:08 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I'm sure that he'd make a fine Führer ...

That's a good one. I agree.

I agree and I'm LMAO too. :lol:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2015, 8:20 pm

Callista wrote:
but what can you expect from her generation?

Really? This is one of those,"no on realizes you are a fool until you open up your mouth and talk about it" sort of things.
I will spare you the history lesson Callista, you wouldn't appreciate your benefits you just take for granted that generations before yours suffered so you could never even be bothered.

And if I signed off with the observation that my post to you was "but what can you expect from her generation?" would be wretched and mean, petty and full of misunderstanding. I would not dream of insulting your generation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 8:51 am

Trump says he never met the reporter but the reporter who has a joint condition says he met Trump dozens of times over the years and interviewed him a lot especially back when the reporter worked for the New York Daily News. So Trump definitely knew what he was doing when he was waving his arms.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Nov 2015, 11:01 am

I feel like the freeze frame makes it look worse than it really is, Trump was flailing about and they captured his hand movements in the same position as this guys who I don't believe can flail about. I wouldn't of known Trump was making fun of his disability, I don't even know who the guy is, I would of thought he was mocking his wishy-washy reporting where you report one thing at one time and then try to disown it when it isn't politically expedient for you. I think Trump making fun of McCain for getting caught was more deliberately mean or what he said about Rosie O'Donnell but McCain and Rosie deserve it so no one felt too bad. We're electing a president remember, not a kindergarten teacher.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 12:34 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I feel like the freeze frame makes it look worse than it really is, Trump was flailing about and they captured his hand movements in the same position as this guys who I don't believe can flail about. I wouldn't of known Trump was making fun of his disability, I don't even know who the guy is, I would of thought he was mocking his wishy-washy reporting where you report one thing at one time and then try to disown it when it isn't politically expedient for you. I think Trump making fun of McCain for getting caught was more deliberately mean or what he said about Rosie O'Donnell but McCain and Rosie deserve it so no one felt too bad. We're electing a president remember, not a kindergarten teacher.

Interesting point that the disability makes his movements limited rather than flailing, but I think Trump was making fun of his disability regardless.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 1:23 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Interesting point that the disability makes his movements limited rather than flailing, but I think Trump was making fun of his disability regardless.

Yeah, watch it without audio and it's pretty clear. Also, if you (generic) are able, identify his facial expression change or have someone else do so if possible - his entire mannerism, rhythm, and motion changes when he's clearly mocking the reporter.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Nov 2015, 2:11 pm

He was definitely mocking the reporter, if you just listen to the audio instead of the freeze frame of Trump with his hands like that and the photo of the reporter then the context of him mocking the guy was because he wasn't standing by his reporting at least according to Trump so the question to me is can you mock somebody with a disability without being accused of mocking their disability? If the guy was "normal" would anyone be offended by Trump's inflection and hand movements?

The media are like like a bunch of piranhas, they'll run with anything. It's really confusing to see the media act so disingenuous about their bias to the point that you can't trust anything they report at first glance and then know the truth about Trump, I don't think they're trustworthy or have our best interests at heart when they are corporately owned. Political rhetoric and narrative have become so black and white, people are angry and if you force them to "pick a side" then you might not be happy with who they pick. I think there is a 'boy who cried wolf' lesson to be learned. The strategy of divide and conquer cannot be done in perpetuity.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:26 pm

Hyperborean wrote:
I'm not sure the Nazi Party would accept him.

He'd probably ridicule Joseph Goebbels' club foot.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 2:27 pm

Jacoby wrote:
He was definitely mocking the reporter, if you just listen to the audio instead of the freeze frame of Trump with his hands like that and the photo of the reporter then the context of him mocking the guy was because he wasn't standing by his reporting at least according to Trump ...

I disagree. He was clearly mocking the disability. He was also mocking his not standing by his reporting. The two are not exclusive. And neither are the video and audio.
I don't know anything about this reporter, but I don't like his disability being mocked, which Trump clearly does with his hand gestures.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 3:19 pm

Just imagine how much of a field day Trump would have mocking someone with autism.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 3:50 pm

If Trump gets elected as the next President, he should be called "President D-Bag."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 8:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:
I'm not sure the Nazi Party would accept him.

He'd probably ridicule Joseph Goebbels' club foot.

If he was a German back then he would say We got to ban Austrian immigrants from entering Germany

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2015, 8:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Just imagine how much of a field day Trump would have mocking someone with autism.

Trump making fun of someone poisoned by vaccines :D