Why Do Girls Wear Tighter and/or More Revealing Clothes?

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 8:45 pm

I have always wondered this. I find the gender differences to be fascinating and disturbing at the same time. I mean what reason is there for this? I mean I know people say it is hard to feel attractive in non tight jeans but why does that not apply to men as well? Why girls specifically? Or why do girls reveal more than men? Like why are girls shorts shorter, shirts show more of the chest, etc.The only reason I ask is because like I said before the gender differences really interest me.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:46 pm

1) Because they can.

2) Because they want to.

3) Because guys pay more attention to them when they do.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:54 pm

Whats wrong with outlines?

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm

think I should clarify what I am asking.I just find the gender differences interesting, meaning, does that mean that women are supposed to generally speaking impress a man? If that is common than the genders are not being equal imo. Or why do men often have to protect the women anymore than the women does the man? I feel like it should be completely equal and SOME women revealing more and having to be protected does not seem equal to me

brandonb1312
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 9:07 pm

Also to clarify, I think both genders should be treated exactly the same which is why the gender differences like this bother me.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm

brandonb1312 wrote:
think I should clarify what I am asking.I just find the gender differences interesting, meaning, does that mean that women are supposed to generally speaking impress a man? If that is common than the genders are not being equal imo. Or why do men often have to protect the women anymore than the women does the man? I feel like it should be completely equal and SOME women revealing more and having to be protected does not seem equal to me

Males drive sports cars. Women wear revealing clothes.

Connect the dots. It balances out.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 9:42 pm

Some say this kind of behaviour, and gender roles in general, are an evolutionary leftover. In the animal world the sexes have specific roles and behaviours, and though evolved, humans are still animals and came from animals. David Attenborough did a great documentary on the elaborate courting rituals of the birds of paradise, and it was eerie to see some shadow of our own gender-based behavioural system there.
But I agree, humans should be past such behaviour. A gender system actually services our species no purpose anymore. And it is slowly changing if you look at history more toward gender equality. Very slowly.
As to tight clothing, men can rock the tight jeans just as well as women, especially in big cities where they think they're trendy. Most of the time I don't complain about women wearing tight/revealing clothes, just enjoy. :twisted:

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 9:45 pm

C2V wrote:
Most of the time I don't complain about women wearing tight/revealing clothes, just enjoy. :twisted:

QFT, gotta enjoy those tight jeans :chin:

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 9:54 pm

Here's what puts a bee in my bonnet -

Swimwear. Why do women have to wear bikinis and skin tight one pieces and the men show up wearing these god-awful huge trunks that leave nothing to the imagination. :roll: Do men think we don't notice this kind of thing? It's very unattractive. What ever happened to Speedos? :mrgreen: Maybe guys don't want to wear Speedos because of something I learned from a Seinfeld episode - George Costanza explained how certain "things" shrink in cold water so it must be true.

Anyway, I just want to say that women also appreciate nice scenery.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:22 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Swimwear. Why do women have to wear bikinis and skin tight one pieces and the men show up wearing these god-awful huge trunks that leave nothing to the imagination. :roll:

Confusion alert.

I think you wrote the opposite of you meant.

If you modestly cover yourself up then you are...leaving EVERY thing to the imagination (if folks cant see anything then they have to imagine everything.).

If you walk around naked you are "leaving nothing to the imagination" (because others dont have to imagine anything because they can see it all).

Mens big baggy trunks may not inspire your imagination, but since they cover the person up they leave everything to the imagination. The opposite of bikinis which leave relatively little "to the imagination".

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:25 pm

It's just styles.

I always liked the old style gym shorts from the 60s and 70s. By the 90s, they were very unfashionable, but I wore them anyway for exercise. The nice thing about them being unfashionable is that I bought about 30 pairs for $2 and $3 each years ago.

Wear them now days and people think they are underwear.

Fortunately, I don't care what other people think.

superpentil
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Dec 2015, 10:30 pm

People will get mad at me for saying this, but men and women are not equal.

I do not know why women tend to wear tighter clothes, and I don't really think anyone really knows why. You ask anyone and you'll get very diverse answers such as a simple "idk" to a "...something something male oppression..." and a lot more. That said, women tend to have more sensitive skin than men and I suspect this is why their clothes are a lot more "comfy". Comfiness usually comes from materials and a lot of those can be form fitting, but this alone doesn't really explain why they seem to be skin tight. It could be due to something along the lines of "showing your body off is what's considered feminine and therefore women should wear tight fitting clothing", but that's not something set into stone, and like I said before I don't really know. If it was that you'd think someone would've changed such ideas by now. This is not to say that men can't wear tight fitting clothes, they can. It's just seen more as a feminine thing nowadays.

Quote:
But I agree, humans should be past such behavior. A gender system actually services our species no purpose anymore.

Not exactly true. The genders mainly differ in terms of Sexual Reproduction, which, if I'm not mistaken, is a necessity of evolution (or at least of it occurring faster). It still suits our interests for survival. Gender Equality is mainly an opportunity thing, in that women should have as many chances as men to do things, it does not mean at all that women are entirely equal to men because they're not. This does not inherently mean that women are at a disadvantage, it means that men and women are better than the other gender at different tasks. For example, women, evolutionarily, have the unique role of being mothers. As such they can "sense emotion", and empathize much better than males can, because it can help when raising children. This doesn't mean women can't do anything else, they can. They are just better suited for such a task. The physical differences are obvious, the average man is much stronger than the average woman. Not sure why that is a thing (might have to do with hunting and more of the childrearing thing women can do), but either way because of that and because of the weird animalistic tendencies humans have, it's generally the males that protect the females. All this stuff bleeds through into today and I don't think any of these things are going away anytime soon.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 37 of 200

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

01 Dec 2015, 10:31 pm

brandonb1312 wrote:

It doesn't mean that a woman wearing tight and/or revealing clothes is trying to impress a man, any men, or all men. They might like wearing those clothes and are wearing said clothes for themselves. They can wear clothes to impress men, I just wouldn't assume it to be the case.

Gender isn't equal. Women in general make less money in the same jobs than men do and are subjected to different social expectations from men. This is changing over time but we still have a long way to go.

As far as evolutionary psychology, it's a mess of just-so stories and tends to look for evolutionary explanations for modern behavior, which makes it pretty dodgy all on its own.

As for why men are supposed to protect women, it's a form of benevolent sexism, viewing women as weak and in need of protection whereas men are viewed as strong and self sufficient. This sort of chivalry isn't always (or even necessarily by default) good for women, and in ways has been used to control women.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

Swimwear. Why do women have to wear bikinis and skin tight one pieces and the men show up wearing these god-awful huge trunks that leave nothing to the imagination. :roll:

Confusion alert.

I think you wrote the opposite of you meant.

If you modestly cover yourself up then you are...leaving EVERY thing to the imagination (if folks cant see anything then they have to imagine everything.).

If you walk around naked you are "leaving nothing to the imagination" (because others dont have to imagine anything because they can see it all).

Mens big baggy trunks may not inspire your imagination, but since they cover the person up they leave everything to the imagination. The opposite of bikinis which leave relatively little "to the imagination".

I understand I wrote it incorrectly, but I wasn't feeling well enough to change it. Since you brought it up I had to agree that I made a boo boo.

Now I'd like some men to answer why they don't want to wear something more revealing themselves. Women pretty much have no choice.

Now I know why I don't go swimming anymore - no fun. :mrgreen: Now all the scenery I get is the backless gowns at work. 8O Ewww. Yuck.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:47 pm

I'll take baggy shorts any day. There is something about Speedos that says "desperate for attention" unless you are in Rio de Janeiro.

Slimmer cuts are considered feminine. There's nothing wrong with recognizing gender differences. That's different than having blanket expectations about a gender,or expecting them to be polar opposites. Men and women are different, but can still be equals. Different genders as whole may excel in separate areas, but they are complimentary and include crossovers from either sex. It's just when people are pigeonholed because of their gender that it becomes problematic.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 10:49 pm

nurseangela wrote:

Swimwear. Why do women have to wear bikinis and skin tight one pieces and the men show up wearing these god-awful huge trunks that leave nothing to the imagination. :roll: Do men think we don't notice this kind of thing? It's very unattractive. What ever happened to Speedos? :mrgreen: Maybe guys don't want to wear Speedos because of something I learned from a Seinfeld episode - George Costanza explained how certain "things" shrink in cold water so it must be true.

Anyway, I just want to say that women also appreciate nice scenery.

Clearly you've never been hiking in the pacific headlands and stumbled upon a so called 'gay beach'.

Perhaps it's about time for women to start *expecting* as much from men when it comes to whose body has to be perfect & kept on display at all times...