Is your country a democracy or a theocracy?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 1:03 pm

What country do you live in? And is it a democracy; where the people's word is valued above all else? Or is it more of a theocracy; a country that is ruled by its local church despite the government's claims that is it a "democracy"?

Tell me all about it below :)


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Jun 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,648

22 Dec 2015, 1:05 pm

My country is the USA, and it is a fascist country that worships wealth and the people who hoard it, while the rich get richer and more people sink deeper into poverty.



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,930
Location: temperate zone

22 Dec 2015, 1:18 pm

Thats a false dichotomy:theocracy vs democracy.

Many dictatorships are purely secular. The Middle East is gradually moving from secular dictatorships to theocratic dictatorships (from Saddam Hussien/Assad/Khaddaffi type Baathists to Ayatollahs,and Taliban type regimes.



sly279
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,952
Location: US

22 Dec 2015, 1:22 pm

Constitutional republic.



The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
My country is the USA, and it is a fascist country that worships wealth and the people who hoard it, while the rich get richer and more people sink deeper into poverty.


U.S.A. Is a big country. In one state it might just like your description while in another there might be a bit more fairness between the rich and poor.

Just saying of course. I might be wrong since I don't know much about the U.S.A.


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

22 Dec 2015, 3:01 pm

A theocracy is democratic if a majority wants it, isn't it?


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Sep 2014
Age: 51
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,819
Location: S.F Bay Area

22 Dec 2015, 3:25 pm

Interesting question! I live in a country that is a republic, ruled by a representative democracy. But at some levels, each citizen gets to vote directly. Insofar as religion goes, my country is inconsistent. Our founding documents state that the government is prohibited from creating a state religion; therefore it cannot technically be a theocracy. However, our history is such that more than half of the populous is religious and so they vote in religious representatives and by extension, judges. Those lawmakers in turn grant some religions legal exemptions to the laws that apply to and are enforced against everyone else. And in my country there are regions that are in a very practical sense, ruled as much on theology as secular law - we even have entire political parties that campaign on how they will enforce their god's laws over those of the nation.

It's a weird place.


_________________
“For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.”
―Carl Sagan


The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 3:50 pm

Edenthiel wrote:
Interesting question! I live in a country that is a republic, ruled by a representative democracy. But at some levels, each citizen gets to vote directly. Insofar as religion goes, my country is inconsistent. Our founding documents state that the government is prohibited from creating a state religion; therefore it cannot technically be a theocracy. However, our history is such that more than half of the populous is religious and so they vote in religious representatives and by extension, judges. Those lawmakers in turn grant some religions legal exemptions to the laws that apply to and are enforced against everyone else. And in my country there are regions that are in a very practical sense, ruled as much on theology as secular law - we even have entire political parties that campaign on how they will enforce their god's laws over those of the nation.

It's a weird place.

Interesting! :) Some of the towns in my country were originally and historically built with the idea of a theocracy in mind (being ruled by Spain during the times of Christopher Columbus). One town even has the Mayor's hall and the Church facing each other at the center of town! I even herd that the mayor there went on to do a mass on that same church, which obviously suggest that the mayor was using religion as a means of gaining votes for the next election, despite my country's separation from the church itself. :roll:


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 3:58 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
A theocracy is democratic if a majority wants it, isn't it?


A theocracy, to me, is a country whose democracy favors a certain religious faction of people and no one else.


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,527
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

22 Dec 2015, 4:09 pm

Well I think the appropriate term is Democratic Republic, so more of a democracy...though if the fundamentalist right gets their way it will become a christian theocracy.


_________________
Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies, tell me lies.


The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 4:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
...though if the fundamentalist right gets their way it will become a christian theocracy.


What are you talking about exactly?


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Feb 2011
Age: 39
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,128

22 Dec 2015, 4:16 pm

I live under an oligarchy. Here puppet politicians, often from one of two families, represent the interests of the multi-national corporations that pay for their campaigns.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,527
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

22 Dec 2015, 5:16 pm

The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
...though if the fundamentalist right gets their way it will become a christian theocracy.


What are you talking about exactly?


The religious right and its attempts at legislating religious morality.


_________________
Tell me lies tell me sweet little lies, tell me lies.


The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

22 Dec 2015, 6:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The_Blonde_Alien wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
...though if the fundamentalist right gets their way it will become a christian theocracy.


What are you talking about exactly?


The religious right and its attempts at legislating religious morality.


Here's my response to that:

Image


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson