The pipeline violates rights of indigenous people.

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 3:46 pm

Apparently failure for the natives to be consulted with about the planned pipeline and given say in the process...is considered by the U.N to be a violation of their declaration on rights rights of indigenous people. I wonder if they'll do anything about it since our government won't or even what they could do about it.

And why doesn't Obama do something?...and where do Trump or Hillary stand on it? I'd think the people running for president might clue us into where they stand and what they think the solution is on this particular current and domestic issue that is kind of a big deal.

To just continue to go forward with it in the face of mass protests and opposition throughout the country doesn't seem like a very good job of representing the people....I guess the government really does care more about corporate profit than representing us regular citizens. The issue isn't just going to go away because presidental canidates and even the current president have decided to essentially just ignore the issue and continue on like it's not happening.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

31 Oct 2016, 4:05 pm

The UN saying something really doesn't mean anything, a pipeline is safer than alternatives which is on train or truck which has a much higher chance of spillage or more dependence on foreign energy. The peoples of this area are in for a major boon, the Indian reservations in the area are among the poorest in the country so I think it can be a good thing as long as they have a seat at the table.

Earthbound
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 4:19 pm

It's very unfortunate what is going on with the pipeline.

Obama honestly should say something!

Clinton and Trump probably wont- they are too busy talking about emails, sexist remarks and so on. Plus all the namecalling. This election is a big joke. USA deserves better than these 2. USA also deserves a decent house and sentate that actually DO things more. So many problems in the country, and almost all they do is help their buddies out and ignore the majority of people suffering. :x

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 5:03 pm

It's a dirty shame.If you don't have clean water you have nothing.It proves that the powers that be still don't give a flying f**k about the rights of Native people.
I doubt the Natives there care about the few jobs the pipeline would provide,if any.Most of that work would be done by outsiders.The Native people care more about the land than a few meager dollars tossed at them by an oil company.
Just consider what fracking has done to local water supplies.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 5:08 pm

Right now, Americas biggest problem is corporations owning them. they own our politicizations and government.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 5:09 pm

Ways to help fight this.
http://www.powwows.com/2016/09/07/10-wa ... -pipeline/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2016, 9:29 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The UN saying something really doesn't mean anything, a pipeline is safer than alternatives which is on train or truck which has a much higher chance of spillage or more dependence on foreign energy. The peoples of this area are in for a major boon, the Indian reservations in the area are among the poorest in the country so I think it can be a good thing as long as they have a seat at the table.

They weren't given a seat at the table as far as I understand, probably because they feared the answer would be 'no we don't want that here.'

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 4:53 am

Check out MissLizards links to see how you can get involved.

This is supposed to be a democracy. So its up to you to add to the groundswell so that the politicians do take notice.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 1:17 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/10/3 ... kowin-camp

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 2:12 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Check out MissLizards links to see how you can get involved.

This is supposed to be a democracy. So its up to you to add to the groundswell so that the politicians do take notice.

I plan on it, I mean I'll have to stick with the options that one can do from afar...as I can't very well actually go to North Dakota, too many obligations here, but of course I want to show my support and do whatever one can do without actually physically being there.

Though if 100s of people physically going and protesting hasn't made any difference...as far as I know they're just arresting people and continuing the construction as best they can, what will 100s of supporters who oppose the pipeline from afar do? It's very frusterating to me the thought that no matter how much opposition to the pipeline exists it will likely continue cause our government can't bear the thought of big oil losing any money.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 4:15 pm

I have mixed feeling about the whole idea of the Reservations, in practice they reminds me a lot of Grand Apartheid "Homelands", and the federal status, is structurally similar.

Most of them haven't been success at all, and if fact if anything provide a very bleak outlook indeed.

Centre of poverty and deprivation, often with very little of the original cultural practices or way of life retained or survival skills of their ancestors. Many of these reservations aren't even in the locations where these tribes came from.

There is a responsibility to honour treaties, on the other hand these communities need to consider their situation whether they are truly better off in them, and if so what economic strategy are they going to apply to support their communities.

I doubt a pipline passing through will give much economic benefit directly unless they can get revue for the privilege.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 5:37 pm

Jacoby wrote:

No. Pipelines corrode over time and can be built with cheap steel. When they spill, they spill continuously over a long period of time directly into the groundwater of the region or at least closer above the water table than a surface spill and it would be literal hell to clean up from the subsurface. Honestly I don't think anyone would bother. A truck would spill on the surface in a very small area once and would be an easy clean up. Train is about the same. Do you understand anything about groundwater science?

The peoples in that area are in for getting their sacred locations destroyed and their land stolen because the long arm of the government is using eminent domain to allow the oil company to build the pipeline. I would expect you to be against this Jacoby since you're such a staunch Trump supporter and they're supposed to be against corrupt big government practices :roll:. You think any of that money is going to the people? No they're getting paid some crap amount of money once for their land and then losing it as a resource.

AspergianMutantt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 6:42 pm

corporation and government is going to ignore the peoples out cries anyways, may as well wait till they put the pipeline in and then blow it up again and again. make it cost them lots of money, because thats the only thing they understand. thats a hell of a long pipeline to be watching over.

Last edited by AspergianMutantt on 01 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 6:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
I have mixed feeling about the whole idea of the Reservations, in practice they reminds me a lot of Grand Apartheid "Homelands", and the federal status, is structurally similar.

Most of them haven't been success at all, and if fact if anything provide a very bleak outlook indeed.

Centre of poverty and deprivation, often with very little of the original cultural practices or way of life retained or survival skills of their ancestors. Many of these reservations aren't even in the locations where these tribes came from.

There is a responsibility to honour treaties, on the other hand these communities need to consider their situation whether they are truly better off in them, and if so what economic strategy are they going to apply to support their communities.

I doubt a pipline passing through will give much economic benefit directly unless they can get revue for the privilege.

That and it could contaminate water supply as well as generally be an ugly eyesore...doesn't seem it is worth the risk, so I can see why they don't want it there.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 7:05 pm

AspergianMutantt wrote:
corporation and government is going to ignore the peoples out cries anyways, may as well wait till they put the pipeline in and then blow it up again and again. make it cost them lots of money, because thats the only thing they understand. thats a hell of a long pipeline to be watching over.

That wouldn't resolve the issue of potential oil leaks, the only way to stop that is not to build it through a water supply.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2016, 7:08 pm

Feyokien wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

No. Pipelines corrode over time and can be built with cheap steel. When they spill, they spill continuously over a long period of time directly into the groundwater of the region or at least closer above the water table than a surface spill and it would be literal hell to clean up from the subsurface. Honestly I don't think anyone would bother. A truck would spill on the surface in a very small area once and would be an easy clean up. Train is about the same. Do you understand anything about groundwater science?

The peoples in that area are in for getting their sacred locations destroyed and their land stolen because the long arm of the government is using eminent domain to allow the oil company to build the pipeline. I would expect you to be against this Jacoby since you're such a staunch Trump supporter and they're supposed to be against corrupt big government practices :roll:. You think any of that money is going to the people? No they're getting paid some crap amount of money once for their land and then losing it as a resource.

Also it's the people building the pipeline that say it's safer than other transport methods....of course they'd say that, everything else points to there being a risk of oil leaks.