Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2015, 11:38 pm

I lost eight years of my life, 11-19, to being over and mis-medicated and spent most of that time in quite intense discomfort from full-body akasthesia among other things such as declining mental performance.

I think it's more a failure in the field of psychology in that it's under-utilizing it's potential to help people and in turn just giving up and throwing people to doctors for scripts. I remember even as a kid that it was just talking about my feelings, once in a great while getting some suggestions, but the little amount of cognitive behavioral therapy I was given to work with - to me at least - pails in comparison to what I'm coming to realize that people can do with their own minds if they're serious enough about putting the work in. Part of the trouble as well though is a cultural one; discipline seems to be a dirty word and it's often in short supply with things like this.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2015, 3:45 am

The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist:

Psychologist: "What can I do to help? Do you know why you feel this way? What can we do to fix the problem, what are you currently doing to fix the problems/issues?"

Psychiatrist: "We have a pill for that."

the26thangel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Dec 2015, 9:36 am

Outrider wrote:
The difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist:

Psychologist: "What can I do to help? Do you know why you feel this way? What can we do to fix the problem, what are you currently doing to fix the problems/issues?"

Psychiatrist: "We have a pill for that."

I understand that view, but some people need chemical balance which you can't "talk" into happening. I see psychologists as wanting a hundred dollars an hour to listen to people speak which is good for some people esp if they have lil or no family/friend support. Other people need anxiety meds, sedatives, or the aforementioned chemical balance. Having high anxiety at times, I truly appreciate my buspar because panic attacks stink big time. I don't usually take them, and I don't have panic attacks often. But when I do, I appreciate the buspar very much. ;)

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 9:48 pm

I disagree with holistic approaches. It is better to see someone equally specialized in psychiatry and neurology because they will be more careful about medication. Psychiatrists alone are just people who first studied normal medicine and then psychology. That is also a reason why psychologists in many countries can't prescribe medication. To be honest, I wouldn't even trust people with dealing with their own health. And most of the people I have met who promote holistic medicine have been caught treating their symptoms with normal medication and then attributed their healing to the holistic products.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 9:57 pm

small study shows brains of chronic cannabis users are less efficient.

http://www.jwatch.org/na36265/2014/11/2 ... f-you-knew

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2017, 9:20 pm

Drug companies make a killing in profits for psychiatric drugs in several countries. Psychiatric drugs that can be asked or given to, to the common man who is just dealing with the ups and downs in life - or, even worse just wants a high (Xanax I am looking at you).

I think there is an assumption in our society that psychiatrists only reserve these drugs ''for sick people'' when in reality that's quite a different story.

Also new diagnosis's are removed, changed and added to each new addition of the DSM.

All considered there is a serious problem. We need to see a massive reform.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2017, 9:44 pm

This is where psychiatry and psychotherapy has failed me, and millions of people like me, with multiple diagnoses: the doctors can treat bipolar disorder, PTSD, anxiety, schizophrenia, BPD, etc if someone had only one of those issues, but the confluence of different diagnoses within the same person is barely treatable because there's no book or manual for the complexity of behaviors it creates.

bethannny
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Nov 2017, 9:57 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
This is where psychiatry and psychotherapy has failed me, and millions of people like me, with multiple diagnoses: the doctors can treat bipolar disorder, PTSD, anxiety, schizophrenia, BPD, etc if someone had only one of those issues, but the confluence of different diagnoses within the same person is barely treatable because there's no book or manual for the complexity of behaviors it creates.

As I said before the DSM is always changing. Growing more and more confusing and contradicting prior ''medical investigation's''. For crying out loud Asperger's doesn't even exist anymore in the current addition of the DSM (and that will be world wide too guys - for those of you outside of the U.S or Canada).

They were once so ''sure'' that Asperger's was a separate condition from high functioning Autism - though Asperger's was a subset of the spectrum it was still not graded to the same ''severity'' as the others and there were considered to be a number of ''distinct'' behaviours setting it apart from HFA. Then the DSM-5 came along and completely negated that - HFA and Asperger's were suddenly the same. And there for all types of Autism would just be ''ASD'' 1,2 and 3 now.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 1:02 am

the26thangel wrote:
Also for the record, I've never seen or heard of anyone gaining psyc disorders from weed. However, ppl with psyc disorders have likely smoked weed much like the majority of the population.

Correlation does not prove causation. <-- one of the most important yet overlooked facts in the world

Ta-ta for now and have a beautiful day :)

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... fects-last

GoSensGo

23 Nov 2017, 9:37 am

I don't doubt that psychiatry has inherent value and has helped a lot of people, I just wonder if there are more effective, easier, CHEAPER methods of attaining the same result. It's no secret that prescription drugs are being handed out way too willy nilly.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 1:20 pm

I have known alot of people who smoke weed, and one thing I've noticed, and this applies to the daily smokers especially, almost all of them are in complete delusion about the negative impact it has on them. They become less intelligent, less articulate, less cordinated, less confident, slower, less capable of connecting with others. They also tend to seem like they don't care about anything, they are worse at empathizing and all conversations with them just seem completely disconnected.

I definitely don't think it should be illegal, but I wish people who smoked it were more honest with themselves.. I've tried a couple of times though, that when I've really tried to squeeze the truth out of these deluded people, that they'll start to admit that it does infact impact them negatively, but they just enjoy doing it. I guess that's the case with most addiction though.

Back to the topic: I've seen psychiatry have a profound postive effect on peoples lives. Especially in the case of scizophrenia, where the medication, was the difference between complete chaos, and being able to live a decent life. I know this, because I grew up around scizophrenia, and the medication didn't just change the life of the person with the mental illness, but my life aswell.

I don't doubt that there's alot of cases where medication have been prescribed wrongly, maybe due to errors in the diagnostic process, or that it hasn't worked as intended. But I think the field of psychiatry is positive as a whole. I don't like the stance of trying to dehumanize everyone who works in the medical field, I am certain the vast majority of them are decent people with good intentions.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
I have known alot of people who smoke weed, and one thing I've noticed, and this applies to the daily smokers especially, almost all of them are in complete delusion about the negative impact it has on them. They become less intelligent, less articulate, less cordinated, less confident, slower, less capable of connecting with others. They also tend to seem like they don't care about anything, they are worse at empathizing and all conversations with them just seem completely disconnected.

I definitely don't think it should be illegal, but I wish people who smoked it were more honest with themselves.. I've tried a couple of times though, that when I've really tried to squeeze the truth out of these deluded people, that they'll start to admit that it does infact impact them negatively, but they just enjoy doing it. I guess that's the case with most addiction though.

Back to the topic: I've seen psychiatry have a profound postive effect on peoples lives. Especially in the case of scizophrenia, where the medication, was the difference between complete chaos, and being able to live a decent life. I know this, because I grew up around scizophrenia, and the medication didn't just change the life of the person with the mental illness, but my life aswell.

I don't doubt that there's alot of cases where medication have been prescribed wrongly, maybe due to errors in the diagnostic process, or that it hasn't worked as intended. But I think the field of psychiatry is positive as a whole. I don't like the stance of trying to dehumanize everyone who works in the medical field, I am certain the vast majority of them are decent people with good intentions.

amen to this whole post.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 9:09 pm

I think one major issue is that many prescribers simply don't know about ASD in the first place, causing them to instantly conflate or associate it with any number of peripherally related conditions.

It's the only diagnosis of mine that makes any sense to me but not the only one I have, which resulted in a number of disagreeable prescriptions.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 9:55 pm

People can have my medications when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2017, 10:22 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
People can have my medications when they pry them from my cold, dead hands.

lol.

i feel the same way about my med. on it, no one would ever know i had a mental illness. off it, i'm terrified and talk to people who aren't there.

spoirier
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Dec 2017, 6:25 pm

I have also been victim of psychiatry, while I never really wanted to visit them but I was forced to do so by all well-intended people around for the mere purpose of filling formalities of stopping work for depression and getting social income. As if it was necessarily preferable for a genius to become a zombie with social income than stay a healthy person without that much income.
I collected many links against psychiatry.
But after many years suffering brain damage from a horrible pill I recently got miraculous cure by means of boji stones.