Page 1 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

18 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

I can understand why this may be the case; people often believe in a culture where nudity is often forbidden mainly because it is heavily associated with the act of sex and sex is a private act. That fine and all, but what really bugs me about people reacting to nudity is that they never seem to take the context of the situation into account. They are many reasons why people might end up being naked. it can be because they're taking a bath, making a show or maybe just using their own naked bodies for the sake of art.

It seems like whenever someone see nudity in all contexts their brains seem to use the following logic:

Nudity = rape/porn/sexual assault

When in reality, just because you see someone naked doesn't mean that you are going to witness any sort of terrible or "inappropriate" sexual act. The human body is like that, there's no need to be afraid of it.

I think it's time we start seeing nudity in a more objective way by simply asking ourselves the simple question "Why is this person naked and what is he/she doing?" instead of "OMG HE/SHE IS NAKED!! ! IT'S INAPPROPRIATE!! !! ! WE SHOULD CENSOR THAT!! !"

Are we humans a little too advanced to be following some obsolete and outdated middle-eastern tradition?


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2007
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 898
Location: Netherlands

18 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm

Fear of nudity seems for a big part a anglo-saxon habit. In 'continental Europe' it is less of a problem. Like showering on eastern european campsites :-) Or boys below 10 who like to shower together is not much of a problem.

My little nieces and nephews sometimes ran around naked when they were like two years old. Nowadays we put some modesty in them... most of the times it succeeds.
I have also camped on a campsite where nudity was optional. It was a bit getting used for, but after a day I did not notice it anymore. For myself I preferred some swimming trousers.

Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.



The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

18 Jan 2016, 5:39 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.


Isn't it natural to feel lustful whenever you're seeing someone naked? I mean I know we have to set our limits on that, but that doesn't mean we have to see nudity/sexuality as an abominable or abnormal act. It's okay to feel aroused because of a naked man/woman. It's okay to want to stare at parts of their body constantly. It's okay! We are human beings, and that is in our nature!

Freaking out about it for no apparent (or logical) reason is pointless. denying sexuality is like denying anger; it's better to embrace it while finding a way to control it. Denying it will only make things even worse.


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

23 Jan 2016, 1:24 pm

Asterisp wrote:
Fear of nudity seems for a big part a anglo-saxon habit. In 'continental Europe' it is less of a problem. Like showering on eastern european campsites :-) Or boys below 10 who like to shower together is not much of a problem.

My little nieces and nephews sometimes ran around naked when they were like two years old. Nowadays we put some modesty in them... most of the times it succeeds.
I have also camped on a campsite where nudity was optional. It was a bit getting used for, but after a day I did not notice it anymore. For myself I preferred some swimming trousers.

Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Oct 2015
Age: 24
Posts: 857
Location: Missouri

23 Jan 2016, 1:40 pm

I've always found the taboo nature of nudity to be ridiculous, but then again, if it wasn't taboo, it may be harder for people to experience arousal and procreate due to it being completely normal.



Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

23 Jan 2016, 2:25 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.


How did that intimidate their enemies?


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

23 Jan 2016, 2:27 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I've always found the taboo nature of nudity to be ridiculous, but then again, if it wasn't taboo, it may be harder for people to experience arousal and procreate due to it being completely normal.


Then we wouldn't be here, because our ancestors would have stopped reproducing before clothing was invented.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,908
Location: North Wayels

23 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

Taboos are culture specific. The content isn't all that important. It's the breaking of them that helps get one's rocks off. I had a girlfriend who was of such a mind - certain things were taboo for her, and she enjoyed breaking those taboos. I don't think I have any in that sense.

There's rules which are meant to be broken (I mean this literally, not figure of speech), and then there's rules the breaking of which would destroy one's psyche. If you get just the right amount of repression, it can be a great boon to one's sex life. It's why Catholics have such great sex.


_________________
Of course, it's probably quite a bit more complicated than that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.


Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,908
Location: North Wayels

23 Jan 2016, 4:39 pm

As to nudity, I think there's an understanding that someone in purposely reveraling and accentuating clothing is more sexual that someone playing bowls in the nip. I have a suspicion that's part of the objection, that this sort of nudism desexualises the naked body.

Nudity is generally eroticised, so when presented with non-erotic/eroticised nudity, there's a confusion as certain cultures don't have a way to deal with that.

1) A accidentally catches brief sight of B in the nude. B did not intend to be seen, maybe doesn't know A saw them. A feels a rush, and the moment becomes part of a fantasy.

2) B is a nudist, quite happy to walk around with no clothes on, not concerned who sees them, fully aware that A looks. After a week of this, A is getting bored.

There's more thrill for A in the first scenario than the second.

Take away people's taboos, and you're diluting their enjoyment.


_________________
Of course, it's probably quite a bit more complicated than that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.


eric76
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Aug 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,660
Location: In the heart of the dust bowl

23 Jan 2016, 5:33 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
How did that intimidate their enemies?


From what I've read, in medieval times the Scottish would take off their clothes and fold them neatly before battle so that if they survived, they would have clean clothes to wear that weren't ripped up and bloody from the battle.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

24 Jan 2016, 1:15 am

Spiderpig wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.


How did that intimidate their enemies?


The idea of huge, naked warriors bearing swords, spears, and shields, rushing forward in a mass of screaming, frothing-at-the-mouth humanity, as if they were invulnerable to wounds or death - or just didn't care - was terrifying to civilized troops who wore heavy armor so they wouldn't get killed.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

24 Jan 2016, 1:17 am

AspieOtaku wrote:
Asterisp wrote:
Fear of nudity seems for a big part a anglo-saxon habit. In 'continental Europe' it is less of a problem. Like showering on eastern european campsites :-) Or boys below 10 who like to shower together is not much of a problem.

My little nieces and nephews sometimes ran around naked when they were like two years old. Nowadays we put some modesty in them... most of the times it succeeds.
I have also camped on a campsite where nudity was optional. It was a bit getting used for, but after a day I did not notice it anymore. For myself I preferred some swimming trousers.

Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.


The Romans described their Germanic enemies as practicing battle nudity, as well.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 17 Feb 2012
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 13,051
Location: San Jose

24 Jan 2016, 5:09 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Asterisp wrote:
Fear of nudity seems for a big part a anglo-saxon habit. In 'continental Europe' it is less of a problem. Like showering on eastern european campsites :-) Or boys below 10 who like to shower together is not much of a problem.

My little nieces and nephews sometimes ran around naked when they were like two years old. Nowadays we put some modesty in them... most of the times it succeeds.
I have also camped on a campsite where nudity was optional. It was a bit getting used for, but after a day I did not notice it anymore. For myself I preferred some swimming trousers.

Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.
Oh those Roman people always freaking out and having trouble with tribal people! It took over 500 years to no longer make the celts a threat, thats a damn long time.

The Romans described their Germanic enemies as practicing battle nudity, as well.
Oh those Romans, having trouble with barbaric tribal people running naked in battle, it took 500 years to no longer make the Celts a threat, even cases of the Celts kicking the Romans out of Britain, Problem Rome? Your Empire Collapsed while the Celts still live on to this day!


_________________
Your Aspie score is 193 of 200
Your neurotypical score is 40 of 200
You are very likely an aspie
No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

24 Jan 2016, 3:55 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Asterisp wrote:
Fear of nudity seems for a big part a anglo-saxon habit. In 'continental Europe' it is less of a problem. Like showering on eastern european campsites :-) Or boys below 10 who like to shower together is not much of a problem.

My little nieces and nephews sometimes ran around naked when they were like two years old. Nowadays we put some modesty in them... most of the times it succeeds.
I have also camped on a campsite where nudity was optional. It was a bit getting used for, but after a day I did not notice it anymore. For myself I preferred some swimming trousers.

Nudity for commercial reasons I frown upon, because it is more lust oriented.
In Celtic culture nudity in combat by the Gauls and Britons was not uncommon and was a way to intimidate their enemies. Women fought naked too.
Oh those Roman people always freaking out and having trouble with tribal people! It took over 500 years to no longer make the celts a threat, thats a damn long time.

The Romans described their Germanic enemies as practicing battle nudity, as well.
Oh those Romans, having trouble with barbaric tribal people running naked in battle, it took 500 years to no longer make the Celts a threat, even cases of the Celts kicking the Romans out of Britain, Problem Rome? Your Empire Collapsed while the Celts still live on to this day!


The Romans lost almost all control over Germany in the early 1st century A.D., after their greatest enemy, Arminius, destroyed three legions in a multi-tribal uprising. Because the Romans failed to reconquer Germany beyond the Rhine, they ultimately signed their death warrant. Five centuries later, when the empire fell in the west, it was the Franks, who were descendants of the very tribes who had freed their country from the Romans, who filled in the power vacuum, and remade continental western Europe between the Alps and the Baltic in their own image.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

24 Jan 2016, 4:13 pm

Can't remember who wrote:
If man were meant to be nude, he'd have been born that way.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


The_Blonde_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Nov 2015
Gender: Female
Posts: 863
Location: Puerto Rico

24 Jan 2016, 5:36 pm

Wow! Talk about a good history lesson here! Never thought the Romans were intimidated, let alone defeated by a bunch of tribal nude people.

I sure wonder if that nude technique might work in today's wars. :|


_________________
Quote:
Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today

-Thomas Jefferson