Page 38 of 41 [ 642 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:11 pm

we need to stop being the world's policeman/bully- send 'em home!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 3:57 pm

In future elections in cities with a large homeless population, the people should elect leaders who understand the needs of the homeless instead of turning their backs. Portland city leaders are an example of those who refuse to do anything about issues that need solutions to them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:02 pm

as soon as a bully anywhere in school is located, he or she needs to be extracted from the student population and put in some other place.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:04 pm

auntblabby wrote:
as soon as a bully anywhere in school is located, he or she needs to be extracted from the student population and put in some other place.

I agree.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:08 pm

MDD123 wrote:
dcj123 wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
I hate military hero worship, I think most people in uniform are pompous, vile, self-serving scumbags. The institution itself hasn't contributed anything of value to the world in a very long time and deserves way less funding.

My grandfather was in the military and saw combat and he would tell you that its people like you that causes people to have PTSD and shell shock. It does something to a man when they sacrifice so much to get spit on when they return home. I respect your opinion but its an absolute horrible one and has very bad consequences if you make it known to our soldiers.

Things were different for your grandpa, nowadays troops get non-stop praise, they spend a year or so touring a country they'll never have to live in, then they come home heroes for life. I've seen my share of NCOs huddled together tough-talking lower enlisted while they actually worked; I'd see those same lower enlisted start to emulate that kind of behavior, talking down to people and lamenting the old-school army they were never in. I've seen them bully people just for not drinking, or being gay(committed suicide), or listening to classical music. Saw a guy who was beside himself with pride because he shot an old man who was too senile to notice the warning sign (had his confirmed kill). I've seen them on FB ridiculing teenagers for wanting safe spaces, while wanting empathy for PTSD. Nothing they did actually made this country a better place, and the way they do things is just vile, I stand by that.

In other words, not much different than people who spent their entire life as civilians.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 4:21 pm

a lot of ex-GIs hired as cops treat us civilians [at least the working and underclass] in a similar manner as the insurgents they dealt with while they were active-duty.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:21 pm

auntblabby wrote:
a lot of ex-GIs hired as cops treat us civilians [at least the working and underclass] in a similar manner as the insurgents they dealt with while they were active-duty.

And?

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:25 pm

the American middle class self-righteously supports an abusive law enforcement establishment that hassles the lower classes.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the American middle class self-righteously supports an abusive law enforcement establishment that hassles the lower classes.

I don't doubt it.

I'm wondering what that has to do with veteran. Do police officers who weren't veterans treat the lower classes substantially better?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:33 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I don't doubt it. I'm wondering what that has to do with veteran. Do police officers who weren't veterans treat the lower classes substantially better?

the people I talk to in my group would say that at least they would not likely be as prejudiced against us or suspicious/paranoid about our motives.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 10:19 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
In other words, not much different than people who spent their entire life as civilians.

Civilians aren't told over and over again that they're blameless heroes.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 12:45 pm

Brats who don't watch where they are going in the street because they are playing Pokemon Go should be hanged, drawn and quartered, slowly submerged feet first in boiling acid, subjected to Lingchi and scaphism, put in a Brazen bull and grounded for 2 full weeksrebuked for putting themselves and others at risk of traffic accidents...

f*****g jackass, dumbass as*holes...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2016, 3:31 pm

I am anti-war, but pro-soldier. Need I say more?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 11:27 am

MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 11:34 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

No, they just walk around thinking they're special and entitled to things despite not actually having gone anywhere, done anything, or accomplished squat.

So, all civilians are worthless and all soldiers are the greatest thing since sliced bread???

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm

pcuser wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:
MDD123 wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

So, all civilians are worthless and all soldiers are the greatest thing since sliced bread???

Feel free to quote me where I said anything of the sort.

Oh, and the military isn't just made-up of "soldiers."