Page 4 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
^^^

In addition, when I was in graduate school, one of the big issues of the day in library science, was who controls the data. In this case think of data as the raw materials, and information as how one presents that data. No less than Tom Childers, who taught at Drexel's school of Information Studies, was sounding the alarm on single ownership of both content and conduit. Unfortunately, his prediction of a less informed society, was spot-on, and it doesn't matter one bit if the information oligarchs are communist, liberal, conservative, or John Birchers. Any wonder why Johnny or Suzy don't know jack sh!t?

Interesting, I was just reading a very convincing little post about how 90% of academia is liberal, as is 90% of the media, which leads one to really wonder about what we think we know.
the media are only as liberal as the conservative corporations that own them.

We're currently witnessing one of the problems with this, as campaigns pour cash into various media companies that therefore have no incentive whatsoever to point out how corrupting money can be on politicians.
It's a little bit amazing that voters largely seem to be aware of it this time, though: the Internet is still relatively free.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:09 pm

LKL wrote:
It's a little bit amazing that voters largely seem to be aware of it this time, though: the Internet is still relatively free.

don't count on that remaining as-is for much longer.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:13 pm

^iirc the TPP has some provisions about that...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:18 pm

the fix is in.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:47 pm

Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
To me, picking apart anti-gun arguments are like popping balloons with a lit cigarette. It's a very easy position to attack where the opponent has no valid argument.
oh yeah? when have you done any of the above without whining about tone or non-existent ad hominem?

Find it.
Don't blame it if you can't name it.
pff so I should do your work for you then? you really can't back up anything you say, can you?

Because you're the one that made the accusation.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:52 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
To me, picking apart anti-gun arguments are like popping balloons with a lit cigarette. It's a very easy position to attack where the opponent has no valid argument.
oh yeah? when have you done any of the above without whining about tone or non-existent ad hominem?

Find it.
pff so I should do your work for you then? you really can't back up anything you say, can you?

He's constantly demanding that I obsessively hunt through long past threads whenever I remind him of his bullying, or one of his other evidences of a disorder.

It takes me seconds or a few minutes at best to find most things. If you're clueless about using search functions to back your accusations that's your fault. That or you know you can't find anything.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:55 pm

Raptor wrote:
It takes me seconds or a few minutes at best to find most things. If you're clueless about using search functions to back your accusations that's your fault. That or you know you can't find anything.
then it'll take just a few more seconds to paste the links. instead you've chosen to blow smoke and claim that we're lazy or clueless about things you should be doing yourself as YOU are making the claims. the burden of proof is on whoever makes claims, not the ones challenging the claims.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:57 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Find it.

Because you're the one that made the accusation.

you're the one that can't back up his claims when challenged on them. guess they're not very strongly held if you abandon them when it's convenient.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 8:58 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Find it.

He's constantly demanding that I obsessively hunt through long past threads whenever I remind him of his bullying, or one of his other evidences of a disorder.

Or maybe, just maybe, I have zero interest in placating you.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when I had to deal with bullies at work, when complaints were lodged against them, invariably the first words out of the bullies' mouths were "PROVE IT!" so when I hear those words I know who and what I'm dealing with.

Bullying at work can be very hard to prove without witnesses or evidence. If those bullies of yours had accused you of wrongdoings without proof would you be okay if your employer had taken punitive actions against you based on those accusations?

This is an apples to oranges comparison, though. What your buddy Kraichgauer is accusing me of could easily be proven if it were true since these threads are searchable. I think anyone would agree that someone with over 25K posts has the time to spend a few minutes looking for whatever it is that has put the bee in their bonnet.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
I think anyone would agree that someone with over 25K posts has the time to spend a few minutes looking for whatever it is that has put the bee in their bonnet.
the same is probably true of people with over 10k posts too. :roll:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:16 pm

Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
then it'll take just a few more seconds to paste the links. instead you've chosen to blow smoke and claim that we're lazy or clueless about things you should be doing yourself as YOU are making the claims. the burden of proof is on whoever makes claims, not the ones challenging the claims.

Spin things much?
I think your just sulking after tht ass whuppin Jacoby put on you over at the supreme court thread.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:21 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Spin things much?
I think your just sulking after tht ass whuppin Jacoby put on you over at the supreme court thread.
oh look, you're blowing smoke some more instead of backing up your claims. what a shocker. :roll:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:23 pm

Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Spin things much?

Again demeaning an opponent by bringing up something in a past thread. You've tried that with me plenty of times. And no, I'm not going to search past threads to prove my point, as there's obviously no repercussions for your kind of behavior here as there would be with bullying at work. That's unless I reported you to the moderators, and I've already told you that's something I don't need to do.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Fugu wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Find it.

Or maybe, just maybe, I have zero interest in placating you.

You seem to have a lot of interest in accusing me of things, though. Bullying here on WP is a sensitive topic with strong emotions attached to the word alone. You're obviously trying to use that to vilify me so you should at least have evidence, otherwise it could make you look like the bully.

Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 9:27 pm

Raptor wrote:
You seem to have a lot of interest in accusing me of things, though. Bullying here on WP is a sensitive topic with strong emotions attached to the word alone. You're obviously trying to use that to vilify me so you should at least have evidence, otherwise it could make you look like the bully.
someone's certainly getting defensive over being asked to back up what they say. it's almost as if you are aware of how spurious your claims are....