Page 3 of 8 [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 12:57 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have no strong opinions about Judge Scalia. Of the 4 conservative justices, my favorite is Samuel Alito, because of his dissent in Snyder v. Phelps.

True, but better to have the seat filled with at least a conservative leaning justice than anything Obama would want to replace him with...

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:01 am

Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
I have no strong opinions about Judge Scalia. Of the 4 conservative justices, my favorite is Samuel Alito, because of his dissent in Snyder v. Phelps.

True, but better to have the seat filled with at least a conservative leaning justice than anything Obama would want to replace him with...

Raptor,

Obama nomination will not see the light of day if Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. Obama will try to ramrod it but he has big obstacles ahead

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:07 am

frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

Obama nomination will not see the light of day if Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. Obama will try to ramrod it but he has big obstacles ahead

Yeah, that's why I said "would want to". He can "want" in one hand and shi+ in the other.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:09 am

Raptor wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

Yeah, that's why I said "would want to". He can "want" in one hand and shi+ in the other.

Obama has poisoned the well so much in the Congress, they will not give him the time of day. Obama has created this problem because he is a big baby.and The Republicans will use every rule in the book to stop him of getting his nomination.

Last edited by frenchmanflats on 14 Feb 2016, 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:21 am

frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

Obama has poisoned the well so much in the Congress, they will not give him the time of day. Obama has created this problem because he is a big baby.and The Republicans will use every rule in the book to stop him of getting his nomination.

No, it's just Republicans being vindictive, because they can't stand that he had beaten them - - twice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:23 am

the righties are gonna get their sweet revenge after 8 years, they are gonna start whacking working class folk left and right. denial of affordable health care is just the start.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

No, it's just Republicans being vindictive, because they can't stand that he had beaten them - - twice.

Democrats are just vindictive because they have not been able to take Congress forcing the President to use constitutionally questionable executive orders. The Democrats lost it 2010 and the margin between Republicans to Democrats are growing. Congress is the place where the laws and hold the purse strings.

Last edited by frenchmanflats on 14 Feb 2016, 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:25 am

frenchmanflats wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

Democrats are just vindictive because they have not been able to take Congress forcing the President to use constitutionally questionable executive orders

I think you people are projecting.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Raptor,

Democrats are just vindictive because they have not been able to take Congress forcing the President to use constitutionally questionable executive orders

I think you people are projecting.

Then why there are several cases in federal court that is examining the constitutional validity of Obama's executive Orders?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:30 am

the righties see themselves as on a rock-solid sure and rapid-fire path to the upper class so there is no convincing them that they should give a damn for their fellows, it is every man for themselves with them.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:30 am

On reflection, I'm wondering if this might be a boon for the GOP, as I doubt I'm the only politically independent gun owner who's suddenly a lot more interested in this election cycle.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:31 am

Dox47 wrote:
On reflection, I'm wondering if this might be a boon for the GOP, as I doubt I'm the only politically independent gun owner who's suddenly a lot more interested in this election cycle.

This will galvanize voters.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
the righties are gonna get their sweet revenge after 8 years, they are gonna start whacking working class folk left and right. denial of affordable health care is just the start.

There is currently a 6-2 majority in favor of upholding Obamacare in the Supreme Court, with both John G. Roberts Jr. and Anthony Kennedy voting alongside the Liberal justices in King v. Burwell (2015). As such, even if another Scalia was appointed to the Supreme Court (unlikely), this would likely not have any real effect on the SCOTUS majority when it comes to health care.

Actually, it is more likely that the Hobby Lobby decision will end up being overturned with the passing of Scalia (given the weakness of the ruling), thus *expanding* access to health care under Obamacare.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:35 am

GGPViper wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

There is currently a 6-2 majority in favor of upholding Obamacare in the Supreme Court, with both John G. Roberts Jr. and Anthony Kennedy voting alongside the Liberal justices in King v. Burwell (2015). As such, even if another Scalia was appointed to the Supreme Court (unlikely), this would likely not have any real effect on the SCOTUS majority when it comes to health care.

Actually, it is more likely that the Hobby Lobby decision will end up being overturned with the passing of Scalia (given the weakness of the ruling), thus *expanding* access to health care under Obamacare.

how do you know the right won't ram through somebody just as bad or worse as scalia?

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:38 am

They are not going to put anyone through. Again Mitch McConnell(as Majority Leader) has the right to set the debate and the floor vote. If he does place it for a vote he may have the votes to reject the nominee. But its too soon to tell. But this person will have to go through the House and Senate Judiciary Committees and they will pick apart this person. They have a right to place a hold on the nomination. Both committees have very conservative members.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2016, 1:49 am

^
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ts-democr/

Quote:
"Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Saturday that the Senate should wait until a new president is elected to confirm a replacement for Justice Antonin Scalia, whose sudden death Saturday shook Washington and threatened to reshape the 2016 presidential race."