A good example of why affirmative action is bad

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

22 Feb 2016, 1:35 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/world ... otest.html

The caste system is rightly banned in India, however as a culture it is deeply engraved, in certain areas.

Instead of talking the culture head

Although being in a high caste can offer certain advantages. It is not necessarily true that nowadays that say all brahmin will have the same chance or opportunities.

When I went to India, I found this to be the cases. Some do well other don't regardless of caste. Caste is still bad obviously.

Merit should be the only qualifying factor. It is a good idea to test blind, becuase often names give clues to caste.

I know through clients just how competitive is to get access to these civil servant jobs.



boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 16 Feb 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 300
Location: UK

22 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

As a system of control the caste system did its job tho, no? Not surprised it's still embedded within the fabric of Indian society, despite being banned.
Sati is also still in practice, i believe, in the rural heartlands. Always the last place to see change/progress.

With regard to the govt jobs mentioned in the article and the stiff competition etc isn't it also the case that bribery used to take place in order to secure posts? Or is it university places I'm thinking of?
Still, I'd agree. Numbers, not names, on test papers. This way the selection process would see parity. Unless of course they pay someone else to sit those tests for them : )

Modi has his job cut out for him. If the thinking in India could be changed, from all the backwardness presently polluting it, it's going to be a powerhouse.
It's going to be that anyway but it would push forward faster imo.

Btw, I'm brahmin :P
The way you write, you're Asian too I think? Which part?



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

22 Feb 2016, 5:38 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/23/world/asia/new-delhi-jat-water-protest.html

The caste system is rightly banned in India, however as a culture it is deeply engraved, in certain areas.

Instead of talking the culture head

Although being in a high caste can offer certain advantages. It is not necessarily true that nowadays that say all brahmin will have the same chance or opportunities.

When I went to India, I found this to be the cases. Some do well other don't regardless of caste. Caste is still bad obviously.

Merit should be the only qualifying factor. It is a good idea to test blind, becuase often names give clues to caste.

I know through clients just how competitive is to get access to these civil servant jobs.
what part of that is due to affirmative action and not the anachronistic caste system?



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

22 Feb 2016, 5:54 pm

Fugu wrote:
what part of that is due to affirmative action and not the anachronistic caste system?


The affirmative action is caste based, despite caste being banned. So all of it and both.



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

22 Feb 2016, 6:10 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
Fugu wrote:
what part of that is due to affirmative action and not the anachronistic caste system?


The affirmative action is caste based, despite caste being banned. So all of it and both.
oh right. so the fact that this article goes on at length about castes and only mentions affirmative action twice must mean that it's not affirmative action that is the basis of this article. this is borne out by how(despite your comment about castes being illegal) it's mostly people that abuse it causing the issues. banning AA because of this is like amputating your hand because your little finger's nail got shut in a door.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

22 Feb 2016, 6:14 pm

I will post an earlier report. This protest has being going for some time.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

22 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2 ... a-s-castes
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/jat ... 3dq3H.html

Btw the protest has been partially successful, however I disagree with giving them special status. The problem is the official status system.



Fugu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,074
Location: Dallas

22 Feb 2016, 6:44 pm

0_equals_true wrote:
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-02/affirmative-action-lessons-from-india-s-castes
http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/jat ... 3dq3H.html

Btw the protest has been partially successful, however I disagree with giving them special status. The problem is the official status system.
I agree, the bit about quotas is just laziness or lack of thought on the part of the framers. it shouldn't be a matter of how many boxes should be ticked.



0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2007
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 11,038
Location: London

22 Feb 2016, 7:07 pm

I'm social libertarian.

I don't even like legal marriage, incorporation or anything that attempt to make a special or protected status out of citizens.

What they should be doing is promoting and rewarding merit, talking discrimination and increasing the standard of education.