Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 1:54 pm

So I'm in university studying animation. However I'm also doing a class that is based on what is known as 'critical theory'. From what I've read, it's about critiquing ideas perpetuated in society and challenging our truisms/biases. I'm guessing it's some sort of thought exercise - open-mindedness, I guess.

The problem is that, from what I've read about postmodernism (which is something we will cover in this class), it seems to claim that objective truth doesn't exist, which makes little sense to me. Maybe it's just the aspergers talking, but the definition is so vague and I'm worried that my lecturers are going to dogmatically preach this to me.

In college, we talked about semantics, ideology, how culture and media reflect each other, etc, but we looked at different ideologies and different schools of thought. We were never told to dogmatise what we learned in class. We were always taught to be intellectually curious and to substantiate our convictions with facts and take into account that we may be factually wrong about something.

I understand that there are societal norms that should be challenged and shouldn't just be accepted, but how far should we go before it turns into nonsense? Like, language; is that an oppressive tool to control the masses because there are rules on how to use it properly? Is the whole concept of communication making us slaves of the patriarchy (or some other system of oppression)?

I mean, a lot people who are into postmodernism claim to be open minded, but they actually perpetuate new biases. For example, many feminists read everything in society through a feminist lens (understandably). These are people that think that Alien is sexist because femininity is portrayed as evil (the alien) and Ripley has to 'act masculine' to be able to survive. I'm dead serious, people have actually said this. These are the people who will say the film 'Black Swan' is a misogynist film because of how it 'exploits the female figure' and that it has 'the male gaze' all over it. It seems people have these pet theories about how society, culture and-well- life works and can't seem to put aside for one minute to look at it from a different perspective.

I don't want to be one of these art snobs that thinks they're so non-conformist and intellectual because they "challenge societal norms". Critical thinking - actual critical thinking- is about looking at the facts without bias. This seems to be about having a bias and then looking for facts to fit your bias (which is intellectually dishonest).

I'm not saying that all postmodernism is bad. I'm just worried that I'll fail if I don't parrot what has been said by my lecturers and that makes me feel very dirty inside.

PS: Please forgive me if I've been ignorant on this topic. Perhaps I'm just not looking at good sources on the topic of postmodernism and maybe I'll 'get it' eventually.

I also want to point out that I think there is more nuance to this subject, but it's been poisoned by lazy intellectuals (aka Tumblr feminists) who oversimplify every social issue to it's most basic elements, without looking at the totality of the issue at hand. So I apologize, again, for ignorance.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 2:27 pm

I find this sort of thing very interesting and enjoyable to think about, but exhausting to talk about - there are so many terms people use (and seemingly loosely) that I need to be sure of the definitions, and I'm always having to check what people mean by a particular word or term.

As I understand such thinking, it is about seeing biases around us, and seeing our own bias - there is no unbiased human observation, no 'view from nowhere'. To get us what we are thinking when we talk about 'objective truth' or 'fact', and what's more to do so in good faith. Doubtless the subject attracts a lot of those who don't engage in good faith, who merely want to posture and pose. This is a shame, but I don't think it should detract from serious engagement.

Regarding Alien (the film, possibly the series), my take of this sort of thinking on it was it's Ripley who sees off the rapist-Alien, and the (mostly) men who always fall victim. The Alien itself - and Giger's designs - is/are a fascinating mix of phallic and, well, Google told me the female equivalent would be 'yonic'.

ETA: I realise none of this is likely helpful, though. As with most intellectual things, my advice would be to approach it with openness, talk and respond in good faith, and, when someone is making a proclamation, don't be afraid to question it - 'what do you mean when you say, 'sexist'?' etc. Doubtless all the preceeding was obvious, but I felt I had to say something that actually responded!

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 2:50 pm

I'd say being critical and challenging just for the sake of challenging has a destructive side. I mean, I think our culture values openness and challenging norms, but a lot of people like to pretend they have some kind of inside scoop on things when in reality they are being just as mindless as the people they like to call mindless. A lot of people these days are too quick to delve into cynical conspiratorial type thinking and there's a lot of this stupidity on both left and right. It's hard to fight for a better world when you're so focused on "hidden evils" and demean people as mindless sociopolitical/cultural pawns controlled by evil forces beyond reach. To solve real problems I think requires empathy and understanding of the human condition, not just demonization.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:33 pm

The kernel of your concern seems to be the claim from postmodernism that objective truth does not exist.

Now start looking for the objective truths in everything that follows in your post. Almost every subject that you touch on is inherently subjective.

Is Alien sexist? Is Black Swan misogynist? Well, clearly someone thinks so, and someone has put together an argument to support that claim. I don't happen to agree with it, but my argument to the contrary is, frankly, no better.

Postmodernism is as valid--and as flawed--a lens through which to understand artists and their art as any other. Postmodernism doesn't invalidate modernism, just as modernism didn't invalidate romanticism, and romanticism didn't invalidate neoclassicism.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:43 pm

Hopper - I agree. We can't know with 100% that anything is true or false. It's kind of like the concept of a deity- it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Even reality itself is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. However, with the limited tools that I have, I can observe what is around me and come to a conclusion based on what I've studied. If I've continued to study and experiment and the results continue to be similar, I can come to a conclusion about the reality of X. I can have strong convictions, but I don't have to be 100% certain about them.

So here's my problem with postmodernism; postmodernism is not immune from criticism, yet so many self proclaimed postmodernists push it as if we are all just meant to accept that, say, that I have internalized misogyny because I use the word 'b***h'* in a pejorative sense (even if I'm not using it as a gendered word, but rather comparing someone's harshness to a dog on heat). Some of these people even perpetuate these 'norms' that they speak of. Sorry for picking on feminism, but a lot feminists (who are also postmodernists) seem to perpetuate the idea that women are victims and men are perpetrators. Well, if you want to challenge societal norms and fight 'rape culture', why aren't you allowing the MEN to be perceived as victims of society and acknowledging the agency that women have?

But, again, maybe these people really don't understand what postmodernism actually is and maybe I've been mislead by someone's hubris.

marshall - *applause* I think you expressed my feelings much more eloquently than I ever could. One time I was talking to my friend about this and she couldn't wrap her head around the idea that you can absolutely loathe someone's ideological viewpoints, but still love them as a person or can still find common ground with them. I think that only viewing someone as an agent for some system of oppression is dehumanizing them and is purposefully avoiding any real discussion over that particular societal issue. Know your enemy, I guess (if they even are your enemy).

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:46 pm

marshall - yup. I think a certain type of postmodernism can lead one to inaction and non-engagement politically. As someone who thinks a lot of (broad sense) political action needs taking, I don't like that. I think cultural critiques are helpful, if only as illustrative examples. And, as I said, I enjoy hearing them and considering them.

And there can be a trend to a one-upness of either cynicism or, in conspiracy, 'true' knowledge. That self satisfied sneer of, 'ah, you still believe in x. You immature fool', or the 'I see they've duped you, too. Tut.'.

Serious critical thinking is important, but without action it just ends up some sort of new age/buddhism-lite crap.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:54 pm

You are not supposed to "get it" You are expected to swallow it.

ruveyn

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:59 pm

visagrunt wrote:
The kernel of your concern seems to be the claim from postmodernism that objective truth does not exist.

Now start looking for the objective truths in everything that follows in your post. Almost every subject that you touch on is inherently subjective.

Is Alien sexist? Is Black Swan misogynist? Well, clearly someone thinks so, and someone has put together an argument to support that claim. I don't happen to agree with it, but my argument to the contrary is, frankly, no better.

Postmodernism is as valid--and as flawed--a lens through which to understand artists and their art as any other. Postmodernism doesn't invalidate modernism, just as modernism didn't invalidate romanticism, and romanticism didn't invalidate neoclassicism.

I suppose so.

I'm not saying that postmodernism should be completely thrown in the bin. I'm just flabbergasted by how people can come to these conclusions. There's reading the subtext of a movie and then there's reading subtext that doesn't even exist. How can you critique problematic elements of Alien if these elements don't actually exist? Where do we draw the line between valid analysis of themes that are actually present in a movie and just looking at elements of a movie without any context? I dunno - I guess postmodernism, at it's best, it like putting a jigsaw together and, at its worst, like jamming parts that don't actually fit or claiming that you solved the puzzle 'cause you found one piece.

I'm an artist, so this kind of cultural criticism is important as a lot of art is about taking stuff from society and discussing it or challenging it, but the scientist in me has to remind the artist that this theory has flaws, like any philosophy really. Maybe that is what postmodernism is all about.

Ruevyn - that's what I was afraid of.

TonyHoyle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2012, 4:18 pm

A modernist would say 'what did the director want this movie to say'?
A post modernist would say 'what does this movie say to me'?

The latter may come to a different (or the same.. not many movies are that deep these days) conclusion, which to him is just as 'true' as anything else... hence the denial of a universal single truth - what's true for you may be different to what's true for me.

I heard most people under 25 have a post modern worldview now. As you go up the age range people are more likely to insist on a single truth (I've had this discussion with our accountant who is in her late 50's and she and can't understand how you could get to a state where two people who believed opposite things were both right - the concept of a personal truth is alien to her).

AceOfSpades
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 5:19 pm

MindBlind wrote:
So I'm in university studying animation. However I'm also doing a class that is based on what is known as 'critical theory'. From what I've read, it's about critiquing ideas perpetuated in society and challenging our truisms/biases. I'm guessing it's some sort of thought exercise - open-mindedness, I guess.

The problem is that, from what I've read about postmodernism (which is something we will cover in this class), it seems to claim that objective truth doesn't exist, which makes little sense to me. Maybe it's just the aspergers talking, but the definition is so vague and I'm worried that my lecturers are going to dogmatically preach this to me.

In college, we talked about semantics, ideology, how culture and media reflect each other, etc, but we looked at different ideologies and different schools of thought. We were never told to dogmatise what we learned in class. We were always taught to be intellectually curious and to substantiate our convictions with facts and take into account that we may be factually wrong about something.

I understand that there are societal norms that should be challenged and shouldn't just be accepted, but how far should we go before it turns into nonsense? Like, language; is that an oppressive tool to control the masses because there are rules on how to use it properly? Is the whole concept of communication making us slaves of the patriarchy (or some other system of oppression)?

I mean, a lot people who are into postmodernism claim to be open minded, but they actually perpetuate new biases. For example, many feminists read everything in society through a feminist lens (understandably). These are people that think that Alien is sexist because femininity is portrayed as evil (the alien) and Ripley has to 'act masculine' to be able to survive. I'm dead serious, people have actually said this. These are the people who will say the film 'Black Swan' is a misogynist film because of how it 'exploits the female figure' and that it has 'the male gaze' all over it. It seems people have these pet theories about how society, culture and-well- life works and can't seem to put aside for one minute to look at it from a different perspective.

I don't want to be one of these art snobs that thinks they're so non-conformist and intellectual because they "challenge societal norms". Critical thinking - actual critical thinking- is about looking at the facts without bias. This seems to be about having a bias and then looking for facts to fit your bias (which is intellectually dishonest).

I'm not saying that all postmodernism is bad. I'm just worried that I'll fail if I don't parrot what has been said by my lecturers and that makes me feel very dirty inside.

PS: Please forgive me if I've been ignorant on this topic. Perhaps I'm just not looking at good sources on the topic of postmodernism and maybe I'll 'get it' eventually.

I also want to point out that I think there is more nuance to this subject, but it's been poisoned by lazy intellectuals (aka Tumblr feminists) who oversimplify every social issue to it's most basic elements, without looking at the totality of the issue at hand. So I apologize, again, for ignorance.
I'm with you 100%, especially on the pseudo-intellectual notion that anything that can be potentially abused is inherently malicious. It's real ironic that this sort of extreme cynicism is supposed to be "intellectual" considering that it's an appeal to motive (which is a logical fallacy) and the fact that it always jumps to that one conclusion really says a lot about bias confirmation.

marshall wrote:
I'd say being critical and challenging just for the sake of challenging has a destructive side. I mean, I think our culture values openness and challenging norms, but a lot of people like to pretend they have some kind of inside scoop on things when in reality they are being just as mindless as the people they like to call mindless. A lot of people these days are too quick to delve into cynical conspiratorial type thinking and there's a lot of this stupidity on both left and right. It's hard to fight for a better world when you're so focused on "hidden evils" and demean people as mindless sociopolitical/cultural pawns controlled by evil forces beyond reach. To solve real problems I think requires empathy and understanding of the human condition, not just demonization.
Took the words right out of my mouth, though I'll admit I am pretty damn cynical and have no hope for humanity. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not the type to think my cynicism makes me so much better than everyone else. I think it's pathetic to act as if cynicism is the most logical way to go when cynicism has inherent emotional appeal like anything else. Namely the individualistic anti-authoritarian sentiment and the gratification of thinking you get things everyone else is too naive to figure.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:36 pm

AceOfSpades wrote:
marshall wrote:
Took the words right out of my mouth, though I'll admit I am pretty damn cynical and have no hope for humanity. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not the type to think my cynicism makes me so much better than everyone else. I think it's pathetic to act as if cynicism is the most logical way to go when cynicism has inherent emotional appeal like anything else. Namely the individualistic anti-authoritarian sentiment and the gratification of thinking you get things everyone else is too naive to figure.

This might be a bit of an aside from what the OP was really talking about but it seems like there is a connection. A lot of people in my generation seem to have a kind of snide defeatist attitude of criticizing everything but not really standing for anything for fear of ridicule. I think it's dangerous because it leads to a kind of paralysis and stagnation. One person who typified this attitude was George Carlin. I don't really have a problem with him, actually I find a lot of his stuff hilarious. I just think it is meant for a kind of cathartic humor, not something to be taken to heart. I think maybe this attitude is a perversion of post-modern questioning. You can tell because a lot of people who pretend to be ultra-independent thinkers turn it around and use the very same kind of attitude to defend conformity and inaction.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 6:51 pm

MindBlind wrote:
I suppose so.

I'm not saying that postmodernism should be completely thrown in the bin. I'm just flabbergasted by how people can come to these conclusions. There's reading the subtext of a movie and then there's reading subtext that doesn't even exist. How can you critique problematic elements of Alien if these elements don't actually exist? Where do we draw the line between valid analysis of themes that are actually present in a movie and just looking at elements of a movie without any context? I dunno - I guess postmodernism, at it's best, it like putting a jigsaw together and, at its worst, like jamming parts that don't actually fit or claiming that you solved the puzzle 'cause you found one piece.

I'm an artist, so this kind of cultural criticism is important as a lot of art is about taking stuff from society and discussing it or challenging it, but the scientist in me has to remind the artist that this theory has flaws, like any philosophy really. Maybe that is what postmodernism is all about.

Ruevyn - that's what I was afraid of.

Consider the theatre.

Why do directors and actors engage in telling the same stories over and over again? Surely once Hamlet has been performed once, the story has been told and that's the end of it.

But as any director, actor or theatre goer will tell you, not all Hamlets are created equal. Nor indeed are all Our Towns or South Pacifics. Every director brings a new lens to the understanding of text, and every actor brings a different set of experience to the creation of a role. All are using precisely the same words that the playwright has written, but each telling of the story is that little bit different.

So it is, too, with observers criticism of these. Each of us takes away a different experience when we watch Alien or Black Swan. We inform that observation based on our own experiences, and we come away with different things.

In truth, there is no subtext there at all. In anything. Subtext is something entirely made up by the reader/viewer/listener. Many of us might reach concensus on what subtext is there--but that doesn't invalidate the subtext that has been made up by another listener. Hence my earlier statement that I might not agree with the feminist argument about those films, but my argument is no better.

12 Sep 2012, 8:01 pm

MindBlind wrote:
Hopper - I agree. We can't know with 100% that anything is true or false. It's kind of like the concept of a deity- it's an unfalsifiable hypothesis. Even reality itself is an unfalsifiable hypothesis. However, with the limited tools that I have, I can observe what is around me and come to a conclusion based on what I've studied. If I've continued to study and experiment and the results continue to be similar, I can come to a conclusion about the reality of X. I can have strong convictions, but I don't have to be 100% certain about them.

Quote:
You'll say "yeah" to ANYTHING...if you be-lieve all this!

~The Psychedelic Furs(from "president gas")

Seriously though, Sokratis disproved the relativity of truth more than 2000 years ago. I can give you something you can falsify: The claim that the color of the sky is the same color as the grass. Don't believe your eyes alone though. Get a spectrometer and check it for yourself.
Quite often there is very little to no certainty in this world.So when you're faced with uncertainty, instead you look for consistency.

Postmodernism is FULL of inconsistencies and has little regard for logic. Keep in mind that it's also a distinctly WESTERN strain of philosophy and is hopelessly Eurocentric so trying to analyze non-western societies through the postmodern lens is biased and likely to give you the wrong impression. AFAIK, Eastern Philosophy is firmly rooted in the notion of absolute truth that does not depend on perception and requires no interpretation. Looks like those Easterners got this one right.

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 3:11 am

I think Critical Theory is interesting before it is useful, and as a liberal democracy has to constantly critique itself, so should Critical Theory. I think it's better appreciated and approached as a poetry or psychoanalysis.

I think subtext is an interplay between ourselves and the film (or play/book etc), and I think where there is a consensus of sorts, it can shine light on things we didn't previously know we knew about ourselves and the world around us. Re Hamlet - I was listening to an interview podcast the other day, and they were talking how Hamlet was initally seen much more as a man of action, the indecisiveness only being interpreted later.

Re Feminism - as I understand it, an argument could be made that a lot of men are victims - though in a different sense - of patriarchy. As to 'b***h', there is in-our-head use of language, and public use of language. You yourself may attach no misogyny to the word, but others around you would. The latter being so, at what point is it decided to be a misogynistic word?

As to 'absolute' or 'objective' truth, a lot depends on what you mean by those terms.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 3:44 am

Visagrunt - yes, part of art is how an audience interacts with and experiences it and I agree that the meaning of something can change based on how someone perceives it. To one person, Twilight is escapist romance and to me, it's a sexist piece of crap. I don't deny the reality of that person's perspective. However, authorial intent still exists and to have a full appreciation of a work, you need to read their intention and how well they have executed it as well as how everyone(including yourself) perceives it or its impact on society.

But I guess it also depends on the work itself. Don Hertzfeldt and David Lynch are great examples of filmmaker's whose work is all interpretive. I actually went to a Don Hertzfeldt screening and he mentioned how audiences react very differently to his films depending on the culture. He was especially interested in how Scottish people were laughing throughout the whole thing (this was in Edinburgh, btw). Part of the experience is what it symbolizes to you. Both filmmakers have stated that they're not about pushing a meaning on people, but that meaning can find people.

That's fine. However I refuse to believe that, say, Winnie the Pooh supports the slave trade or some ridiculous interpretation like that. Not without some damn good explanation, anyway.

Not that people aren't allowed to think that Winnie the Pooh supports slavery - just don't expect me to take your analysis seriously.

AspieRogue- Couldn't agree more. In the world of art, you can debate about meaning and themes and stuff like that without doing any real harm (besides annoying people), but in science that's a huge NO. There are things we can be very certain about, such as the colour spectrum, evolution, DNA, gravity, etc. There will always be debates within science about certain topics, but these issues are not a matter of 'how one perceives the origin of the species'. I've heard postmodernists claim that evolutionary science is sexist and a product of the patriarchy because it explains why we may have developed gender roles in the first place. I've heard these people say that medicine is a form of colonialism because the medical community don't really take "alternative" medicine seriously or because it "tries to erase how other cultures heal their wounded". So basically, to a postmodernist, science is bunk and witch are just as valid as your GP.

I can't really stand relativism, especially cultural relativism. No, sorry - something isn't correct just because you feel it is or because your culture says so. Mainstream medicine is mainstream because it works - not because the medical community want to enslave you.