"We will not walk in fear of one another."
-Edward R. Murrow

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 1:59 pm

'We must all hang together, or surley we will all hang seperately."
Attributed to Benjamin Franklin

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

23 Mar 2007, 2:24 pm

"the buck stops here" sorry its the only one i know. i'm sure that isnt the truth though

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2007, 8:20 pm

"As we know, There are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know." - Rummy

This is one of my favorites. I still chuckle when I think about it.

Mandelbrot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Mar 2007, 10:06 am

"It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" - Spanish Marxist revolutionary saying

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 10:36 pm

Let us learn our lessons. […] Never believe any war will be smooth and easy or that anyone who embarks on that strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events… incompetent or arrogant commanders, untrustworthy allies, hostile neutrals, malignant fortune, ugly surprise, awful miscalculations. - Winston Churchhill.

Bush should take note of this.

How dreadful are the curses which Mohammedanism lays on its votaries! Besides the fanatical frenzy, which is as dangerous in a man as hydrophobia in a dog, there is this fearful fatalistic apathy. The effects are apparent in many countries. Improvident habits, slovenly systems of agriculture, sluggish methods of commerce, and insecurity of property exist wherever the followers of the Prophet rule or live. A degraded sensualism deprives this life of its grace and refinement; the next of its dignity and sanctity. The fact that in Mohammedan law every woman must belong to some man as his absolute property, either as a child, a wife, or a concubine, must delay the final extinction of slavery until the faith of Islam has ceased to be a great power among men.
Individual Moslems may show splendid qualities — but the influence of the religion paralyses the social development of those who follow it. No stronger retrograde force exists in the world. Far from being moribund, Mohammedanism is a militant and proselytizing faith. It has already spread throughout Central Africa, raising fearless warriors at every step; and were it not that Christianity is sheltered in the strong arms of science, the science against which it had vainly struggled, the civilisation of modern Europe might fall, as fell the civilisation of ancient Rome. - Winston Churchill.

He said that in 1899. The rest of the world should take note of that.

Arbie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2007, 10:38 pm

"Shut up"! -Bill Oreilly

chesirecat
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Mar 2007, 3:46 pm

"The biggest argument against democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter." -Churchill

"Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time." -Churchill

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 5:55 pm

"Democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding whats for dinner." - Benjamin Franklin

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 6:18 pm

L'estate c'est moi.

Santa_Claus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 6:26 pm

calandale wrote:
L'estate c'est moi.

It helps give when you translate it or tell us its importance.

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2007, 11:48 pm

Santa_Claus wrote:

I think it is supposed to be the quote by Louis the 14th meaning "I am the state", ultimately an expression of absolute monarchy.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 12:07 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Santa_Claus wrote:

I think it is supposed to be the quote by Louis the 14th meaning "I am the state", ultimately an expression of absolute monarchy.

But it loses so much in the translation.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 1:38 am

Awesomelyglorious wrote:
Santa_Claus wrote:

That's a weird translation of it. It would mean more like "The state that is me." "Je suis l'état" would be more like "I am the state."

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2007, 4:21 pm

Well, Cyanide, I have heard a similar translation before and according to Wikipedia the statement supposedly made by King Louis the 14th, according to legends but not historians, is "L'État, c'est moi", which although somewhat different than the quote in the post by calandale, seems similar enough to actually be the comment. Really though, if you'll note, I am not using my own translation, I know french well enough to know that your comment is correct but rather the quote is usually translated as I stated it. It might simply be because it is not translated exactly word for word but rather translated in a manner that sounds best and retains its meaning.

Pug
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2007, 4:23 pm

Karl Marx's Last Words:

'Last words are for idiots that haven't talked enough rubbish in their life.' :wink: