Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:21 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes,

Considering how badly you mangle your interpretation of the responses you're getting it doesn't surprise me at all that you also misunderstand the message of BLM. And all of the things you keep imploring this group to do are things they are doing and have done. You're stuck on this idea that BLM is a toxic movement and nothing me or anyone else says will shake you of that notion.

And since you're so positive systematic racism is just gone I assume you can show me evidence to support your claim?

Show me examples of them doing that stuff then, and I'll believe you. Maybe the media just doesn't report on it, but unless you actually have good examples I'm not inclined to believe you.

As far as systemic racism, the burden of proof is on you to prove it exists, since that is the positive claim. Me not believing that in the absence of evidence doesn't mean I now have to disprove its existence. That's not how it works.

No that's not how it works at all. You made the claim that systematic racism is gone, so the burden is on you to provide evidence. Besides that, evidence has been provided, you just ignored it.

If you only had to prove a positive claim than I can claim that I'm not from earth and the burden of proof would be on you to prove me wrong. It doesn't make any sense.

You mean 'they're all liars; their experience is invalid because I don't see it' isn't a reasonable rebuttal? Next you'll suggest BLM isn't a racist conspiracy to get white cops murdered and instead exist to highlight a specific social issue.

L_Holmes wrote:
If the oppression was still on the level that it was fifty years ago I could understand. But systemic racism against blacks is gone.

You should let everyone know because your experience doesn't seem to be in sync with what many others describe experiencing. Somehow I feel more inclined to believe countless, consistent descriptions of what individuals in a demographic experience vs. what one person states that's entirely at odds with those experiences, especially if they're not within the group describing their experiences. Call me nuts, but your take on their experience is less valuable than their own take - just like I wouldn't accept them invalidating your experiences as a person with autism unless they also had autism (and in that case the two wouldn't cancel each other out, they'd merely be in conflict).

L_Holmes wrote:
I don't see it the way you do. I see them focusing more on symptoms, not underlying causes. Call me crazy (or racist), but I'm pretty sure the reason black people get shot and killed by police a lot (still less than the number of whites shot and killed by police btw) is because they are 5 times more likely to commit violent crimes, not because tons of cops are racist.

They might not be outspoken members of white supremacist organizations out hunting with the specific intention of targeting black individuals, but if an encounter with people in some demographics spooks you so much you feel the need to open fire on them when nearly identical encounters with other people who fall into other demographic categories doesn't provoke that response, one is almost certainly a racist who's unsuitable to serve as an officer whether they accept it and recognize it or not.

That's a straw man. I don't think they are all liars and I never said I did. I think that they believe misinformation and lies from the media and from the leaders of their movement.

It doesn't matter how much they believe it, or how many of them believe it, if there is no evidence that their belief is actually fact then it makes no sense to treat it as such. You still have provided no evidence and neither have they, nor has anyone shown that it's a majority of blacks that agree. BLM points at the shootings as prime examples, but I've already shown why they shouldn't be using those as evidence.

In the absence of any other evidence it's safe to say it doesn't exist, at least until substantial evidence for it is found.

Do you really think most of those cases would have ended in a police involved shooting had the victim of been not-black? You're welcome to insist so, but good luck convincing others to believe it. Do you really think a white kid playing with a pellet gun in public gets shot within seconds of police arriving on scene? I'm not sure what kind of evidence you'd like because we're debating perceptions. You can dismiss and invalidate others experiences but that won't alter their experiences. You don't need to explicitly say 'they're all liars' when your attitude quite clearly demonstrates that's how you feel.

At the end of the day, until police work to alter the way they're perceived, they'll be perceived the way they are. Maybe that's not an issue to you, but it is for police. How they choose to deal with this perception is entirely on them. For starters, if they'd like to prove shootings are justified, having an outside agency investigate them instead of having the cop's buddies in the department investigate would be worthwhile; not accepting every single 'I was in fear for my life and had to fire' at face value without repercussions for the poor judgment displayed would do quite a bit. Maybe they don't face murder charges in those cases, but firing them and ensuring they don't continue to work in law enforcement would be reasonable. Focusing on community policing and working with the communities they work in would help.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:45 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
You've seen the evidence you just ignored it. And like I said, you're not very good at this.

Saying he ignored it implies it was intentional. He didn't interpret it that way or failed to notice it or disregarded it as irrelevant to his existence or wilfully chose to ignore it; but I wouldn't assume him choosing to ignore it is the only explanation.

I otherwise largely agree, other than assuming only a 'bad faith' explanation is reasonable. I might just be being fussy over wording though.

Yeah, I just got tired of responding to him. He clearly found his conclusion, facts be damned. I have posted links to scholarly research papers and news articles many times in direct response to him. Yet he claims I haven't or pretends he refuted it. You'd think he'd get tired of writing the same thing over and over again but apparently not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:49 pm

There is very little "de jure" racism remaining in the US. This is what the OP means by "institutional racism," I believe. We got rid of the vast majority of "de jure" racism during the 1960s.

But there is a heck of a lot of "de facto" racism still remaining. We should acknowledge this.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:56 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes,

Considering how badly you mangle your interpretation of the responses you're getting it doesn't surprise me at all that you also misunderstand the message of BLM. And all of the things you keep imploring this group to do are things they are doing and have done. You're stuck on this idea that BLM is a toxic movement and nothing me or anyone else says will shake you of that notion.

And since you're so positive systematic racism is just gone I assume you can show me evidence to support your claim?

Show me examples of them doing that stuff then, and I'll believe you. Maybe the media just doesn't report on it, but unless you actually have good examples I'm not inclined to believe you.

As far as systemic racism, the burden of proof is on you to prove it exists, since that is the positive claim. Me not believing that in the absence of evidence doesn't mean I now have to disprove its existence. That's not how it works.

No that's not how it works at all. You made the claim that systematic racism is gone, so the burden is on you to provide evidence. Besides that, evidence has been provided, you just ignored it.

If you only had to prove a positive claim than I can claim that I'm not from earth and the burden of proof would be on you to prove me wrong. It doesn't make any sense.

You mean 'they're all liars; their experience is invalid because I don't see it' isn't a reasonable rebuttal? Next you'll suggest BLM isn't a racist conspiracy to get white cops murdered and instead exist to highlight a specific social issue.

L_Holmes wrote:
If the oppression was still on the level that it was fifty years ago I could understand. But systemic racism against blacks is gone.

You should let everyone know because your experience doesn't seem to be in sync with what many others describe experiencing. Somehow I feel more inclined to believe countless, consistent descriptions of what individuals in a demographic experience vs. what one person states that's entirely at odds with those experiences, especially if they're not within the group describing their experiences. Call me nuts, but your take on their experience is less valuable than their own take - just like I wouldn't accept them invalidating your experiences as a person with autism unless they also had autism (and in that case the two wouldn't cancel each other out, they'd merely be in conflict).

L_Holmes wrote:
I don't see it the way you do. I see them focusing more on symptoms, not underlying causes. Call me crazy (or racist), but I'm pretty sure the reason black people get shot and killed by police a lot (still less than the number of whites shot and killed by police btw) is because they are 5 times more likely to commit violent crimes, not because tons of cops are racist.

They might not be outspoken members of white supremacist organizations out hunting with the specific intention of targeting black individuals, but if an encounter with people in some demographics spooks you so much you feel the need to open fire on them when nearly identical encounters with other people who fall into other demographic categories doesn't provoke that response, one is almost certainly a racist who's unsuitable to serve as an officer whether they accept it and recognize it or not.

That's a straw man. I don't think they are all liars and I never said I did. I think that they believe misinformation and lies from the media and from the leaders of their movement.

It doesn't matter how much they believe it, or how many of them believe it, if there is no evidence that their belief is actually fact then it makes no sense to treat it as such. You still have provided no evidence and neither have they, nor has anyone shown that it's a majority of blacks that agree. BLM points at the shootings as prime examples, but I've already shown why they shouldn't be using those as evidence.

In the absence of any other evidence it's safe to say it doesn't exist, at least until substantial evidence for it is found.

Do you really think most of those cases would have ended in a police involved shooting had the victim of been not-black? You're welcome to insist so, but good luck convincing others to believe it. Do you really think a white kid playing with a pellet gun in public gets shot within seconds of police arriving on scene? I'm not sure what kind of evidence you'd like because we're debating perceptions. You can dismiss and invalidate others experiences but that won't alter their experiences. You don't need to explicitly say 'they're all liars' when your attitude quite clearly demonstrates that's how you feel.

At the end of the day, until police work to alter the way they're perceived, they'll be perceived the way they are. Maybe that's not an issue to you, but it is for police. How they choose to deal with this perception is entirely on them. For starters, if they'd like to prove shootings are justified, having an outside agency investigate them instead of having the cop's buddies in the department investigate would be worthwhile; not accepting every single 'I was in fear for my life and had to fire' at face value without repercussions for the poor judgment displayed would do quite a bit. Maybe they don't face murder charges in those cases, but firing them and ensuring they don't continue to work in law enforcement would be reasonable. Focusing on community policing and working with the communities they work in would help.

You still haven't provided real evidence, and you claim that what I'm saying is absurd without showing how. You just say, "Good luck convincing others." Ok? So how is that a convincing argument exactly?

I don't care about anyone's "experience". Plenty of people "experience" all sorts of crazy ridiculous things, and this can be a group phenomenon. Your argument is nothing but an appeal to popularity (without even proving it is the popular opinion or "experience" among blacks).

You keep saying cops do this and cops do that, but I don't see how you support this because you give no examples of it happening. Even if cops do sometimes get away with things like that, it's not legal; and if there was enough evidence of what they'd done then I'm sure they would be charged with the appropriate crime.

If this was a really common thing I would expect BLM to be sharing story after story with more examples of such things, but that is not the case. Instead they hinge on the same recent shootings, which like I pointed out are terrible examples given that we don't know enough about what happened yet.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 6:59 pm

PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCE is an essential adjunct to research, and to philosophy, in my opinion.

What is your problem with anecdote, anyway?

In order to diagnose something, you need much more than theory; you need ANECDOTE. Case studies.

In order to arrive at something resembling the TRUTH of anything, you need anecdote. Logic alone just doesn't cut it. Logic alone is restrictive in scope.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:16 pm

Lukeda420 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
You've seen the evidence you just ignored it. And like I said, you're not very good at this.

Saying he ignored it implies it was intentional. He didn't interpret it that way or failed to notice it or disregarded it as irrelevant to his existence or wilfully chose to ignore it; but I wouldn't assume him choosing to ignore it is the only explanation.

I otherwise largely agree, other than assuming only a 'bad faith' explanation is reasonable. I might just be being fussy over wording though.

Yeah, I just got tired of responding to him. He clearly found his conclusion, facts be damned. I have posted links to scholarly research papers and news articles many times in direct response to him. Yet he claims I haven't or pretends he refuted it. You'd think he'd get tired of writing the same thing over and over again but apparently not.

I pulled them up. You gave me one about income inequality. I don't disagree with that one, I've mentioned poverty from the very beginning.

You gave me one from fivethirtyeight about blacks being killed at a much higher rate than in other countries. That is completely explained by the extremely high black-on-black homicide rate.

You gave me a scholarly journal article about the link between homicide and income inequality. It makes sense to me. I see no indication of institutional racism.

And one more about the same thing. Once again, it said nothing about institutional racism.

So unless you're talking about some other examples I don't remember, nothing you gave me was evidence of your claim.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
PEOPLE'S EXPERIENCE is an essential adjunct to research, and to philosophy, in my opinion.

What is your problem with anecdote, anyway?

In order to diagnose something, you need much more than theory; you need ANECDOTE. Case studies.

In order to arrive at something resembling the TRUTH of anything, you need anecdote. Logic alone just doesn't cut it. Logic alone is restrictive in scope.

In some cases it makes sense. In this one it is just a bandwagon appeal. The argument is that, because many people believe they experienced it, therefore it must be true. Plenty of people believe they experienced seeing a sasquatch. Yet I don't believe that it really happened. But according to you I should, because their experience matters.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:24 pm

Sasquatch is nonsense, obviously.

Did I say one should rely TOTALLY on anecdote? Obviously, that would be foolish.

But we must never dismiss it out of hand. We must make use of it.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 7:25 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

I pulled them up. You gave me one about income inequality. I don't disagree with that one, I've mentioned poverty from the very beginning.

You gave me one from fivethirtyeight about blacks being killed at a much higher rate than in other countries. That is completely explained by the extremely high black-on-black homicide rate.

You gave me a scholarly journal article about the link between homicide and income inequality. It makes sense to me. I see no indication of institutional racism.

And one more about the same thing. Once again, it said nothing about institutional racism.

So unless you're talking about some other examples I don't remember, nothing you gave me was evidence of your claim.

Wow, you read all that in 15 minutes. :roll: Or did you just look at the headlines? :lol:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2016, 8:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sasquatch is nonsense, obviously.

Did I say one should rely TOTALLY on anecdote? Obviously, that would be foolish.

But we must never dismiss it out of hand. We must make use of it.

I've learned to not take folks seriously when they insist they know what other people experience better than those people themselves know.

Lukeda420 wrote:
He clearly found his conclusion, facts be damned.

I think Lukeda420 might have nailed it. You can lead a horse to water...

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 9:28 am

I read the conclusions of the studies and articles, and none of the conclusions even made claims about the existence of systemic racism. So I decided reading the rest was a waste of time because they do not support your claims of systemic racism; in fact, they support my claims about the black crime rate, poverty etc. being much more important issues than police racism.

Nobody here has even demonstrated that systemic racism is something that currently happens at all in America, let alone that it is the experience of most black people. Do you really think I should just take a few people's word for it that it's true? No, that's obviously stupid. Provide some evidence for this claim. If you can't or won't, there is no reason to accept it.

You call it stubbornness; I call it reasonable doubt.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 9:42 am

You're hung up on semantics, frankly.

Whether the racism is "systemic," "institutional," or whatever doesn't matter.

The fact is: is that it exists. And it exists amongst ALL of us.

And it does have detrimental effects.

Like I said, De Jure racism is probably virtually extinct in the US, and has been virtually extinct for 40 years or so.

But the De Facto kind is alive and well.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 9:47 am

Here are some quotes from a study that supposedly supports your claim:

From the abstract:

The British Journal of Criminology wrote:
Dozens of cross-national studies of homicide have been published. Virtually all have reported an association between inequality and homicide, leading scholars to draw strong conclusions about this relationship. Unfortunately, each of these studies failed to control for poverty, even though poverty is the most consistent predictor of area homicide rates in the US empirical literature and a main confounder of the inequality–homicide association. The cross-national findings are also incongruent with US studies, which have yielded inconsistent results for the inequality–homicide association.

And from the conclusion:
Quote:
Nearly every cross-national study of social structure and homicide published in the last three decades found an inequality–homicide association. This led to strong conclusions about this relationship and widespread acceptance of its existence. Yet, while many studies controlled for general economic well-being, none included a control for poverty. This is questionable given the focus on the criminogenic effects of poverty in the theoretical literature and the repeated findings of a poverty–homicide association in the US empirical literature. This incongruence between the related cross-national and US studies has not been addressed in the literature. In order to correct for this omission, a proxy for poverty was included in models replicated from prior careful cross-national studies of social structure and homicide. The results were clear: the poverty–homicide association held in all cases when controlling for inequality, while the inequality–homicide association disappeared in two of three cases when controlling for poverty.

This clearly supports my claim that things like poverty and crime rates need to be considered seriously and objectively, rather than calling them "diversions from real systemic issues" like Black Lives Matter does on their official website.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 9:59 am

Of course, I believe crime rates and poverty must be considered objectively.

This notion is not contradictory to the fact that racism exists.

There are many causes for the problems we have today. Some of them can be attributed to the ethnic groups which feel discriminated against: their apathy, hostility, whatever.

Some can be attributed to the society within which they live.

It's a complex dynamic. And all must be addressed....by the group being discriminated against, as well as the people doing the discriminating.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 21 Jul 2016, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:01 am

But anyway, I'm clearly wasting my time here. Apparently nobody here wants to acknowledge that sensibilities, ideas and behaviours in the black community play any role in these problems.

I know the response will just be to say, "Not all! Not all!" I never said all of them deny the other factors. But I have not seen anything coming from Black Lives Matter that proves most or even many of them do. Sorry, but I don't accept things solely because someone on the internet told it to me.

Anyway, this has gotten really boring. If someone actually makes a good point I will respond, but if it's the same old s**t I've already addressed, I'm not wasting my time.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:05 am

- Sherlock Holmes