Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:05 am

Have you noticed that I included the behaviors of the discriminated-against people within the dynamic? And others have as well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:09 am

It's also not good to adopt a dismissive attitude towards other posters.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:15 am

L_Holmes wrote:
But anyway, I'm clearly wasting my time here. Apparently nobody here wants to acknowledge that sensibilities, ideas and behaviours in the black community play any role in these problems.

I know the response will just be to say, "Not all! Not all!" I never said all of them deny the other factors. But I have not seen anything coming from Black Lives Matter that proves most or even many of them do. Sorry, but I don't accept things solely because someone on the internet told it to me.

Anyway, this has gotten really boring. If someone actually makes a good point I will respond, but if it's the same old s**t I've already addressed, I'm not wasting my time.

So where are your sources? You haven't provided anything that supports your claims. So why should I accept anything you, a random person on the internet, says?

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You're hung up on semantics, frankly.

Whether the racism is "systemic," "institutional," or whatever doesn't matter.

The fact is: is that it exists. And it exists amongst ALL of us.

And it does have detrimental effects.

Like I said, De Jure racism is probably virtually extinct in the US, and has been virtually extinct for 40 years or so.

But the De Facto kind is alive and well.

It absolutely DOES matter. Racism exists, but it's not the same kind of problem as if it were systemic. It can't be solved by protesting the system. That should be obvious.

- Sherlock Holmes

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:45 am

How do you propose to solve it, then?

There might not be De Jure racism--but there are institutions which are perpetuating the De Facto racism. When it is known which particular institution perpetuates this, then it must be protested against.

How do you propose to solve it, then, without the burden being solely upon the people being discriminated against?

And please don't say there is nothing to solve!

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

There might not be De Jure racism--but there are institutions which are perpetuating the De Facto racism. When it is known which particular institution perpetuates this, then it must be protested against.

How do you propose to solve it, then, without the burden being solely upon the people being discriminated against?

The best thing we can do directly in response is to punish people who abuse power and engage in illegal behavior. The system says it's illegal, so it isn't defending them.

It is so complicated, so why would I claim to know the solution, as if there even is any one approach that would fix the problem? I never made that claim. I'm saying BLM should be looking to find solutions, not pointing the finger at everyone.

- Sherlock Holmes

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:55 am

L_Holmes wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

The best thing we can do directly in response is to punish people who abuse power and engage in illegal behavior. The system says it's illegal, so it isn't defending them.

It is so complicated, so why would I claim to know the solution, as if there even is any one approach that would fix the problem? I never made that claim. I'm saying BLM should be looking to find solutions, not pointing the finger at everyone.

Mischaracterizing your opponents is not a good way to win an argument.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 10:56 am

Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Take your own advice.

- Sherlock Holmes

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:01 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Take your own advice.

I already have, that's why I haven't done it.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:18 am

Lukeda420 wrote:

The first one has no sources and assumes the disparity is because of institutional racism. They do not consider poverty as a variable, and only mention it once as yet another effect of institutional racism without proving that is the case.

The second one is the same. It assumes the disparities must be because of institutional racism and considers no other variables.

The third one also considers no other variables.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

All they are doing is presenting statistics and only considering the variable of race. I don't need to explain why that's wrong.

- Sherlock Holmes

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:29 am

L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

The first one has no sources and assumes the disparity is because of institutional racism. They do not consider poverty as a variable, and only mention it once as yet another effect of institutional racism without proving that is the case.

The second one is the same. It assumes the disparities must be because of institutional racism and considers no other variables.

All they are doing is presenting statistics and only considering the variable of race. I don't need to explain why that's wrong.

Yeah, I'll take research papers and news articles over random YouTube videos. I knew I was wasting my time. If you can't understand what people are saying to you here, it's no surprise that you don't understand those links.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:33 am

Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:

Yeah, I'll take research papers and news articles over random YouTube videos. I knew I was wasting my time. If you can't understand what people are saying to you here, it's no surprise that you don't understand those links.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Studies can be very misleading, especially when only one variable is looked at. That's guaranteed to produce misleading results. Also, the studies used by the guy in the video are objectively better because they consider many more possible factors, as any good study should.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:39 am

But you clearly only want to consider evidence that supports your claim. At least I have looked at and addressed the methods used by those in the links you've provided. You, however, deny something outright just because it's on a "random YouTube video" without considering the real data that is provided in the video.

You are consciously choosing to be ignorant of facts that might disprove your claim or provide evidence against it. To me that just shows that you lack confidence in your views.

- Sherlock Holmes

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:45 am

L_Holmes wrote:
But you clearly only want to consider evidence that supports your claim. At least I have looked at and addressed the methods used by those in the links you've provided. You, however, deny something outright just because it's on a "random YouTube video" without considering the real data that is provided in the video.

You are consciously choosing to be ignorant of facts that might disprove your claim or provide evidence against it. To me that just shows that you lack confidence in your views.

You know if you tried this crap in an academic setting you would fail so fast your head would spin.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 11:56 am

Lukeda420 wrote:
L_Holmes wrote:

You know if you tried this crap in an academic setting you would fail so fast your head would spin.

Neither would this claim right here. Making vague, unspecified accusations would not bring anyone to your side. You have to prove your claims. But you don't want to, you want everyone to accept your opinion as fact.

I'm done talking to you. I don't care about your opinions, and that's all you're giving me, so I have no reason to respond anymore unless you provide a coherent argument.

- Sherlock Holmes