Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:08 am

I tried to be bothered recently with regards to disentangling bizarre connections utilizing precedents... I mean, ultimately I dislike all (religiously) deluded people equally... although what was needed for me to labelled one way or another was just one sentence. People assume the referee has a stake, although in this case a person has simply been irritated enough by plain falsehoods (not saying one sentence will dispel that, but how can it similarly determine someone's entire ideology?)

So... if possible discuss the mechanism behind this, the psychology, the flowchart people must go through when faced with this, on both sides... I guess one can discuss the similarities between two extremist groups, but the point is the hypothetical disillusion of people... I might be deluded myself in thinking I can somehow tackle the most emotive subject lately, but it's frustrating how no one seems to realize logical fallacies exist...

Put simply, no one would think that Olympic champions are the norm, that somehow playing on a weekly basis would suddenly transform reality... and yet they commit this error when it comes to extremism frequently (of course, religion isn't as 'rational' as e.g. the Olympics which is based on numbers practically, so the source might be crucial)... people seem to not know of a bell curve and its implications.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:13 am

Does anyone here know wtf the OP is talking about?

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:20 am

Maybe I can know "wtf [you're] talking about" if you were slightly more detailed...

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

Mootoo wrote:
Maybe I can know "wtf [you're] talking about" if you were slightly more detailed...

I believe what the previous poster means is that they are unsure what it is that the original post means. That the formatting of the post makes it difficult to figure out what the case the you are making is and what you are asking of people to discuss. Thus they would like for someone to rephrase the passage, to help them get a clearer understanding of it.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 11:59 am

Grammar makes little sense? Paragraphing?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 12:17 pm

Part of it must be my bad for missing sumpin' in the news.

Apparently sumpin just happened in the news(the Olympics?) that I didnt hear about yet. And you're making an op ed about it. And then you dive off into a surreal rabbit hole about religion about this thing whatever it is. So for me its surreal wrapped in surreal.

So...just start from the beginning. Just state what you are talking about, and then state what your point is about it.

anagram
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 12:27 pm

i don't know what situation exactly the op is talking about, but the answer is probably "cognitive dissonance"