Page 7 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 6:26 am

Ganondox wrote:

First off, Wicca IS new, it was invent in the 1950s. While it's based around a rival of older paganism, it's still very much a new religion. Then to your understanding of Islam is even more off base. I've studied Islam in college, your idea of Allah is utter nonsense and has absolutely nothing to do with how he is described in the Quran. Like, sexual gratification of his people, seriously? Is this some blatant misinterpretation of "submission"? The main theological difference with Allah and Yaweh is that Allah is strictly immaterial and thus can't have offspring, while Yaweh is more personal.

So a bunch of perpetual virgins for Muslim men in heaven is not sexual perversion. Ok.

I agree in a sense that Yahweh is more personal.

He kills us when he can just as easily cure us, as often shown in scriptures, so if you include that in your (personal) attribute, I agree but think Yahweh to be even more of a vile demiurge because of that attribute.

Regards
DL

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 4:52 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

First off, Wicca IS new, it was invent in the 1950s. While it's based around a rival of older paganism, it's still very much a new religion. Then to your understanding of Islam is even more off base. I've studied Islam in college, your idea of Allah is utter nonsense and has absolutely nothing to do with how he is described in the Quran. Like, sexual gratification of his people, seriously? Is this some blatant misinterpretation of "submission"? The main theological difference with Allah and Yaweh is that Allah is strictly immaterial and thus can't have offspring, while Yaweh is more personal.

So a bunch of perpetual virgins for Muslim men in heaven is not sexual perversion. Ok.

This is NOT a part of the Quran AT ALL. The actual description of the heaven is that it's a garden with four rivers, paralleling the Garden of Eden. Obviously you're just regurgitating myths various Islamaphobes have spread rather than studying the religion yourself.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

This is NOT a part of the Quran AT ALL. The actual description of the heaven is that it's a garden with four rivers, paralleling the Garden of Eden. Obviously you're just regurgitating myths various Islamaphobes have spread rather than studying the religion yourself.

I doubt if I can change your view of that so go ahead and respect a religion that is following immoral tenets and is quite good at producing homophobic and misogynous people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxZXQerkrJE

Regards
DL

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 1:21 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
If you look up Jung and Freud...

Jung would tend to be associated with metaphysics, as opposed to objective materialism.

Freud reportedly channeled messages from a spirit, which looked like a kingfisher.

For people who would have made up their own religion, somewhat along the lines of a "noble lie," they certainly seem to have gone off the schizoid, deep end.

I mean, what is your excuse for a hallucination or anti-social act, if these people had ought to know that it's just a narrative.

marcb0t
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 1:32 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Why Did We Stop Inventing Gods?

Maybe because many people have decided their "god" is money?

Your answer is dangerously close to truth.

No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."
Luke 16:13

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 8:16 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

I doubt if I can change your view of that so go ahead and respect a religion that is following immoral tenets and is quite good at producing homophobic and misogynous people.

Regards
DL

The video is inaccurate as it uses a biased population of muslims, most muslims don't believe what the so-called jihadists believe. Again, I studied Islam in university, which gives much more context than some stupid video. It's a myth that the Quran actually says jihadists will be promised virgins in heaven, what it's actually saying is that there are 72 angels who happen to be virgins in heaven. Jihadist iman twisted the words of the Quran and made up the myth that martyrs would be promised 72 wives in heaven for political reasons, it's not actually part of the religion at all. The closest thing to that is a Sunni Hadith (so not part of the Quran) saying martyrs will be promised 72 something (the translation is ambiguous), but the context makes it clear it's referring to a food item (like how the context of the sura of the sword makes it's clear that only the infidels who broke a peace treaty may be killed, not infidels in general). Meanwhile, one of the actual promises in heaven is a fountain of wine which does not intoxicate and rivers of honey. So if anything, you could argue that Islam is based on gluttony rather than sexual perversion. :P

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 9:50 pm

GnosticBishop wrote:

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the best that mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled for demonstrably immoral ones?

Regards
DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

We have the natural sciences which have proved to be an overwhelming success.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:51 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
If you look up Jung and Freud...

Jung would tend to be associated with metaphysics, as opposed to objective materialism.

Freud reportedly channeled messages from a spirit, which looked like a kingfisher.

For people who would have made up their own religion, somewhat along the lines of a "noble lie," they certainly seem to have gone off the schizoid, deep end.

I mean, what is your excuse for a hallucination or anti-social act, if these people had ought to know that it's just a narrative.

I was referring to Jung and Freud's Father Complex.

Thanks for the trivia though.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 10:53 am

marcb0t wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Why Did We Stop Inventing Gods?

Maybe because many people have decided their "god" is money?

Your answer is dangerously close to truth.

No servant can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and money."
Luke 16:13

Man has always sought order and security of the person.

Money, to many, does that better than some imaginary god.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 11:00 am

Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Regards
DL

The video is inaccurate as it uses a biased population of muslims, most muslims don't believe what the so-called jihadists believe. Again, I studied Islam in university, which gives much more context than some stupid video. It's a myth that the Quran actually says jihadists will be promised virgins in heaven, what it's actually saying is that there are 72 angels who happen to be virgins in heaven. Jihadist iman twisted the words of the Quran and made up the myth that martyrs would be promised 72 wives in heaven for political reasons, it's not actually part of the religion at all. The closest thing to that is a Sunni Hadith (so not part of the Quran) saying martyrs will be promised 72 something (the translation is ambiguous), but the context makes it clear it's referring to a food item (like how the context of the sura of the sword makes it's clear that only the infidels who broke a peace treaty may be killed, not infidels in general). Meanwhile, one of the actual promises in heaven is a fountain of wine which does not intoxicate and rivers of honey. So if anything, you could argue that Islam is based on gluttony rather than sexual perversion. :P

"most muslims don't believe what the so-called jihadists believe."

Look again for the first time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... SPvnFDDQHk

Jihadists likely do not care what the majority of Muslims think. As you can see from those statistics, they sure find a lot of Muslims who think as they do.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2016, 11:04 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the best that mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled for demonstrably immoral ones?

Regards
DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA

We have the natural sciences which have proved to be an overwhelming success.

I agree.

Even our secular law has bested anything that religions have come up with.

Knowing this, why do you think people are still showing respect for immoral religions?

Regards
DL

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 1:30 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Regards
DL

Jihadists likely do not care what the majority of Muslims think. As you can see from those statistics, they sure find a lot of Muslims who think as they do.

Regards
DL

More biased sources in the format of videos. This is NOT how you learn about a subject. Anyway, it doesn't matter what jihadists think, as we are talking about the origins of Islam, not the views of a modern minority.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 6:53 am

Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:
Ganondox wrote:

Regards
DL

Regards
DL

More biased sources in the format of videos. This is NOT how you learn about a subject. Anyway, it doesn't matter what jihadists think, as we are talking about the origins of Islam, not the views of a modern minority.

Islam has grown itself by the sword and not by good deeds, showing just how immoral a religion it is.

You trashed the source of the statistics that come from a well respected source because you do not want to know the truth.

Thanks for taking your head out of the sand for your poor reply.

Regards
DL

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 1:24 am

GnosticBishop wrote:
Islam has grown itself by the sword and not by good deeds, showing just how immoral a religion it is.

You trashed the source of the statistics that come from a well respected source because you do not want to know the truth.

Regards
DL

You really don't have clue what you are talking about. First off, NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with what we were actually discussing. We are talking about the history of Islam and the nature of Allah, not the attitudes of modern day muslims. Whatever the statistics are they have no effect on that. Second, the source you are giving ISN'T a well respected except among Islamaphobes, in fact the Clarion Project is classified as a hate organization by the Souther Poverty Law Center. Next, the notion that Islam grew based on the sword rather than good deeds is baseless. If anything that better describes Judaism, as they explicitly committed genocide against the native people, while the muslims were specifically commanded not to do that and rather assimilate the native populations. They also brought a lot of good, if nothing else they did wonders economically, philosophically and technologically. But ethically they also brought great strides to the place. The early muslims were persecuted for the same reason as the early christians, their moral ideas were seen as a threat by the rich. That is what motivated the original muslims conquests, it was to grant themselves freedom to practice their religion (and unlike most previous empires Islam required that there be a degree of religious freedom, having non-muslims pay an extra tax rather than be killed), and the empire didn't really expand under the four righteous caliphs, it just absorbed Arabia. It was the latter caliphs who had no real religious motive who did the actual conquest. Finally, I'm not denying what you are saying because I don't want to know the truth, it's because unlike you I've actually studied this subject academically instead of getting all my information from videos from sources with an Islamaphobic agenda. I've also actually lived in a muslim majority country for a good portion of my life, so that's another area where I'm in a better position to talk about this than you are. It's extremely obvious from where I stand that you're just an Islamphobic ignoramus.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 5:52 am

Ganondox wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

You really don't have clue what you are talking about. First off, NONE of this has ANYTHING to do with what we were actually discussing. We are talking about the history of Islam and the nature of Allah, not the attitudes of modern day muslims. Whatever the statistics are they have no effect on that. Second, the source you are giving ISN'T a well respected except among Islamaphobes, in fact the Clarion Project is classified as a hate organization by the Souther Poverty Law Center. Next, the notion that Islam grew based on the sword rather than good deeds is baseless. If anything that better describes Judaism, as they explicitly committed genocide against the native people, while the muslims were specifically commanded not to do that and rather assimilate the native populations. They also brought a lot of good, if nothing else they did wonders economically, philosophically and technologically. But ethically they also brought great strides to the place. The early muslims were persecuted for the same reason as the early christians, their moral ideas were seen as a threat by the rich. That is what motivated the original muslims conquests, it was to grant themselves freedom to practice their religion (and unlike most previous empires Islam required that there be a degree of religious freedom, having non-muslims pay an extra tax rather than be killed), and the empire didn't really expand under the four righteous caliphs, it just absorbed Arabia. It was the latter caliphs who had no real religious motive who did the actual conquest. Finally, I'm not denying what you are saying because I don't want to know the truth, it's because unlike you I've actually studied this subject academically instead of getting all my information from videos from sources with an Islamaphobic agenda. I've also actually lived in a muslim majority country for a good portion of my life, so that's another area where I'm in a better position to talk about this than you are. It's extremely obvious from where I stand that you're just an Islamphobic ignoramus.

" it was to grant themselves freedom to practice their religion (and unlike most previous empires Islam required that there be a degree of religious freedom,"

Try to start a church in Saudi Arabia or Iran.

Thanks for the insults though. You make my case for me.

Regards
DL

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2016, 7:21 pm

It seems people would rather reinvent and reinterpret their existing god, then make a new one. They are probably just comfortable with what they got, so they tweak the parts they don't like.