Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:45 pm

GGPViper wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
As demonstrated above, African Americans are stopped at a much greater frequency than Caucasians by the police, even though there is a lower chance of finding contraband among African Americans (and thus less evidence that the search was based on probable cause)...

Alternatively, it demonstrates that cops are better at profiling white criminals than black criminals, hence their greater success rate. We cannot isolate the statistics from all other pertinent data. Are there common markers among white offenders that make them easier for cops to recognise?

That's the same thing as discrimination.

Hardly. If I'm better able to recognise when someone from my hometown is undergoing stress than someone from (e.g.) Anchorage, that's a matter of familiarity and experience, not discrimination.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 2:57 pm

adifferentname wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
As demonstrated above, African Americans are stopped at a much greater frequency than Caucasians by the police, even though there is a lower chance of finding contraband among African Americans (and thus less evidence that the search was based on probable cause)...

Alternatively, it demonstrates that cops are better at profiling white criminals than black criminals, hence their greater success rate. We cannot isolate the statistics from all other pertinent data. Are there common markers among white offenders that make them easier for cops to recognise?

That's the same thing as discrimination.

Hardly. If I'm better able to recognise when someone from my hometown is undergoing stress than someone from (e.g.) Anchorage, that's a matter of familiarity and experience, not discrimination.

If the police are disproportionally targeting a specific group without legal justification, then they are discriminating... In this case, it doesn't matter *why* they are doing it...

It's called the 4th Amendment... look it up...

EDIT: And the 5th and 14th Amendment, while we are at it...

EDIT (another one): BTW, here was how the Baltimore Police Department would profile potential criminals:

DOJ Report on Baltimore wrote:
A sergeant told us that in 2011 her lieutenant—a commander in charge of setting enforcement priorities for an entire police district during the shift—ordered the sergeant to instruct officers under her command to “lock up all the black hoodies” in her district.

Source: https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/883366/download (see page 67)

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 4:28 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hyperborean wrote:
The privilege you have for being white is being able to ask what privilege you have for being white, and to expect people to take you and your question seriously.

People don't actually seem to take that question seriously, usually it just get scoffed at even if said white person is genuinely asking and trying to understand the concept. At least from what I've observed granted some people are just immediately angered at the phrase and decide before even looking into what it means that it's saying white people can do whatever they want and people of minorities cant...so could be a bit of defensiveness on both sides. Only way stuff like this will be resolved in society is if people are willing to listen to each other even if they're not exactly on the same page and disagree/see it differently.

Also there is a lot to do with class when it comes to privilege its not all just about race. For instance you can't really say a homeless white person from a poor family and broken home has more 'privilege' than say a middle class black person with a successful career who was born into a middle class family. I think financial class has a lot to do with privilege, yet that seems quite under-addressed.

Thanks for this reasoned response, Sweetleaf. I very much agree with you, particularly what you say about financial privilege regardless of colour. Yet the inescapable fact is that white people are privileged in a great many ways, so to ask this question is likely to be met with incredulity, scorn, or - as you say - anger. In the case of the OP, it seems ( to me at least) to have been asked in order to provoke an argument, not a sensible debate - which is what is needed, not only in the USA but in western society more generally.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 4:31 pm

GGPViper wrote:
If the police are disproportionally targeting a specific group without legal justification, then they are discriminating... In this case, it doesn't matter *why* they are doing it...

And you have the detailed breakdown of people by skin colour in the locations where these stops are taking place? Are the police targeting based on skin colour or geographical proximity to high amounts of crime?

Quote:
It's called the 4th Amendment... look it up...

EDIT: And the 5th and 14th Amendment, while we are at it...

It's called nuance. Your graphs lack any.

Quote:
EDIT (another one): BTW, here was how the Baltimore Police Department would profile potential criminals:

DOJ Report on Baltimore wrote:
A sergeant told us that in 2011 her lieutenant—a commander in charge of setting enforcement priorities for an entire police district during the shift—ordered the sergeant to instruct officers under her command to “lock up all the black hoodies” in her district.

You seem to be completely ignoring the word "hoodies" as well as partially ignoring "district". Was this lieutenant's district predominately white or black? Are hoodies associated (as they are in many other places) with the criminal element?

In a predominately black district, attire and location would be the distinguishing factors in that profile - not skin tone.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:28 pm

What Is 'White Privilege'? Among other things, and things previously stated ...

It's being repeatedly confronted with the lie that being white is synonymous with being racist.

It's being repeatedly confronted with the lie that non-whites can not be racist.

It's being labelled a racist no matter how hard you try to support equality, justice, and fair treatment of all races.

It's being repeatedly confronted with distortions of what you've said by people trying to prove racism where none was intended.

It's having to deal with non-whites who want to pick a fight with a white person just so that they can claim to be victims of racism.

So, it would seem that while "White Privilege" may exist, there also exists, on both sides of the issue, those who would exploit the situation for their own personal gain and ego-gratification.

To those people, I bid "Adieu".

T minus 26 and counting.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:45 pm

In appearance, I look 100% white, though my paternal great grandmother was not white. For the first ten years of my life, other people and children did not know this; they assumed my peer whiteness and so I wasn't subjected to racist smears. Then it became known and the racist nastiness began, I suddenly had "bad blood" and "black blood". In fact I had the same blood as before. White privilege is a set of supremacist assumptions which may or may not be expressed in behaviour, and when institutionalised, operates as a preferential system from which white people unduly benefit. However that privilege is so pervasive and commonplace that recognition of it can be very difficult for the privileged beneficiaries, entrenched cultural bias operates as a blinding factor.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 5:49 pm

If you were, I believe, 1/32nd "black" in the South (United States) before the 1960s, you were considered "black."

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:38 pm

I don't see how the concept of white privilege is racist. That's like saying that it's classist to say that rich people have it easier than poor people. Also, I don't think you as a white person are really qualified to dismiss the idea of white privilege. Try talking to some actual people of colour about the discrimination they face.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:45 pm

TheAP wrote:
I don't see how the concept of white privilege is racist.

What do you believe racism means?

Quote:
That's like saying that it's classist to say that rich people have it easier than poor people.

That would, indeed, be classist.

Quote:
Also, I don't think you as a white person are really qualified to dismiss the idea of white privilege. Try talking to some actual people of colour about the discrimination they face.

So, "people of colour" understand what it is to be white better than white people but white people can't possibly understand what it is to be a "person of colour".

If it quacks like a duck...

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:52 pm

adifferentname wrote:

The belief that one race is superior to another, or the ascribing of stereotypes to a race.
Quote:

I don't see how. It's pretty clear that rich people have advantages over poor people in the areas of food security, etc.
Quote:
So, "people of colour" understand what it is to be white better than white people but white people can't possibly understand what it is to be a "person of colour".

The problem is that white privilege isn't based on anything that happens to the white person, but on things that white people generally do not experience because of their race.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 6:59 pm

You don't get as much unjustified s**t (and sometimes actually justified s**t) directed your way as you would (all else equal) if you were non-white. Pretty easy.

Now, those who struggle with the notion see various anti-racist movements and campaigns and wonder, 'where's my campaign for the s**t I get being white? That's racist!'. Well, you don't need one. Or another way, the s**t you get isn't generally got for being white. this is referred to as 'intersectionality'. Colloquially, there's more than one way to be shat upon.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:02 pm

Fnord wrote:
What Is 'White Privilege'? Among other things ...

It's waiting at the bus stop without concern for being approach by a police officer and asked why you are there.

It's being pulled over for a traffic violation that you have actually committed.

It's writing a check for groceries and not being asked for your ID.

It's successfully hailing a taxi after sunset.

It's having the taxi driver go into your neighborhood to drop you off in front of your home.

It's being articulate, educated, and well-spoken without people being surprised because of your race.

It's being able to use foul language without people blaming your race.

It's getting a job or a promotion, and no one assuming that it had nothing to do with your qualifications.

It's browsing in a department store without being followed by a security guard.

It's never being expected to act or speak as a representative of all white people everywhere.

It's never having to be aware of - or to even admit to - having any privileges associated with your race.

In other words, "White Privilege" is a catch-all term for the societal privileges that benefit people identified as white in Western countries, beyond what is commonly experienced by non-white people under the same social, political, or economic circumstances.

T minus 27 and counting.

This is not white people bieng granted privileges but bieng treated as they should be and blacks bieng unfairly treated. I was thrown out of public school after 2nd grade probably due to my undiagosed autism. I was not recommended for institutionalization as was common in 1965 but the recommondation was for home schooling or private school. A private school did take me for 2 years before my public school took me back. I ASSUME the untypical response to my problems was because my parents were teachers. If my assumptions are correct I was granted a privilage which saved my sanity and probably my life.

The faux expansion of the defininition of privilege by some to include the race one was born with is to at best make up for past and current descrimination and to guilt trip whites into changing policy. Two wrongs do not make a right.

While I am on the topic of screwing up the language for political purposes saying Mexicans are lazy is a bigoted statement not a racist one. Bieng bigoted is not less wrong then bieng racist, using the language completely incorrectly is wrong.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 Aug 2016, 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:15 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
This is not white people bieng granted privileges but bieng treated as they should be and blacks bieng unfairly treated.

Maybe it's a bit of a misnomer, but that's what is meant by white privilege--never having to face discrimination for your race.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

TheAP wrote:
adifferentname wrote:

The belief that one race is superior to another, or the ascribing of stereotypes to a race.

This is what you are doing when you use the phrase "white privilege" as a catch-all.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't see how. It's pretty clear that rich people have advantages over poor people in the areas of food security, etc.

And you are therefore characterising on the basis of class. This is classism.

Quote:
Quote:

The problem is that white privilege isn't based on anything that happens to the white person, but on things that white people generally do not experience because of their race.

Yep, that's the problem right there - your use of the word "generally".

I am genuinely baffled that people do not understand the inherent racism in making general assumptions about individuals based on their race.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:37 pm

TheAP wrote:
Maybe it's a bit of a misnomer, but that's what is meant by white privilege--never having to face discrimination for your race.

I face discrimination, often----but, the common consensus seems to be, that it doesn't matter.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2016, 7:49 pm

adifferentname wrote:
This is what you are doing when you use the phrase "white privilege" as a catch-all.

No, because it's not saying anything about the people, just the experiences that they face.

Quote:
And you are therefore characterising on the basis of class. This is classism.

Do you believe the term "classism" to be meaningless, then?
Quote:
Yep, that's the problem right there - your use of the word "generally".

I am genuinely baffled that people do not understand the inherent racism in making general assumptions about individuals based on their race.

Do you think, even in periods like the period of slavery in the US, that it would still be racist to say that white people were privileged?