Why can't people make fun of others anymore?

Page 1 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 9:22 pm

I actually think Donald Trump right now is a breath of fresh air. We can't make fun of other people anymore or say whatever we want without offending others. Now, we live in a world where being fat, obese, is not only accepted, but encouraged, rather than shamed on. I think we might as well go back to the old days where people made fun of other races and homosexuality was shamed. F-ck political correctness. We never "tolerated" smoking. Pretty soon when obesity is the "new normal" we won't even be able to speak about making the world thin again without offending other people. I'm willing to trade today's tolerant society for the old days where nobody gave a damn if you made fun of other groups.

Now, society is in decline and there is nothing anybody can do to stop it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 9:57 pm

Society is in decline because people don't make fun of others for their race and don't shame homosexuality, and because many people accept obesity is a health issue and that shaming people for it doesn't make them healthier? I just don't think I can agree with that. Not to mention just look around the internet and IRL there are still plenty of mean-hearted people who bully and make fun of others.

Granted political correctness can be taken too far, which is annoying...however constantly being as offensive and unpleasant as you possibly can with how you speak to or about people is just as bad as extreme first amendment violating censorship.

Trump whines way too much, as to plenty of his supporters....they go on about 'f*** political correctness' and how people should say anything they want whereever and whenever they want. Then when anyone says anything insulting about trump supporters they cry like great big babies. Can dish it out but obviously can't take it when it's pointed at them.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 28 Sep 2016, 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:02 pm

Sweetleaf, I'll apologize for being offensive, but why can't there just be a good happy medium instead of taking PC too far, which is where I believe we are headed today?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:06 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Sweetleaf, I'll apologize for being offensive, but why can't there just be a good happy medium instead of taking PC too far, which is where I believe we are headed today?

A happy medium is what I think would make the most sense, nothing offensive about that really. But yeah I don't think going back to heavier discrimination against homosexuals as opposed to progressing with society being more accepting of it would make anything better. Would make things worse for plenty of people I know, that is for sure.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

28 Sep 2016, 10:23 pm

The issue is identity politics and the toxic strand of leftism that incorporates it, "social justice warriors" being the enforcers of a political correctness. We don't need to discriminate or make fun of minorities or homosexuals or whatever protected class, these people have thicker skins than the SJWs that supposedly champion their cause more times than not. The issue are the cultural Marxists, the SJWs, and regressive left.

Last edited by Jacoby on 28 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:24 pm

Self-analyze.

What does it do for you to call people names?

You want to inflict pain?

You want to feel superior?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:26 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

Right, shaming them gays and fatties and making fun of them black and yellow people is the perfect recipe for a "good and happy medium"... Don't forget about "tards" and "spazzes" - you know, like us :twisted:

Let me demonstrate you the positive, magical power of shaming: your linguistic skills and grammar are a prurient pustule on the face of the English language, something you and your teachers should be deeply ashamed of.

Seriously dude, WTF?! 8O

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:40 pm

Controlling people's language is one of the principal tools of the authoritarian Left. It's all about raw political power.

There's a very good documentary that came out recently, "Can we take a joke?" Trailer:

There Are Four Lights!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:42 am

It is still very acceptable to make fun of fat people.

It is all about context. I grew up pre political correctness. I heard the "how stuff 100 Jews into a car? Throw a penny in it" joke all the time. My friends would say "do you smell gas?" a reference to the holocaust. I was not offended because we would tell the Italian guy we found his car with bullet holes in a mafia reference. The Irish guys got the drunk references(In truth the funniest Irish drunk jokes were made by the Irish). Bieng called an ethnic slur or homo in certain situations meant they liked and accepted you, in other situations the opposite. Sometimes I could not tell the difference because my undiagnosed autism

But how can anybody on the internet tell intent? Even then people running for office did nothing remotly like what Trump does because political speeches are not casual conversation amoung friends nor a show at a comedy club.

The intent of Trump's "jokes" if that is what they are is not to have a good laugh it is to be intentionally mean to spite political correctness.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:19 am

Jacoby wrote:
The issue is identity politics and the toxic strand of leftism that incorporates it, "social justice warriors" being the enforcers of a political correctness. We don't need to discriminate or make fun of minorities or homosexuals or whatever protected class, these people have thicker skins than the SJWs that supposedly champion their cause more times than not. The issue are the cultural Marxists, the SJWs, and regressive left.

Somebody bring the wambulance... :roll:

Free speech is not freedom from criticism.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Sep 2016, 10:28 am

K_Kelly wrote:
We never "tolerated" smoking.

Before the health scares of the 1970s began to have an impact on smokers numbers, they didn't need to be tolerated, they were in the majority. At its peak in popularity over half of all British adults were smokers, non smokers were "tolerated" as eccentrics.

Quote:
Tobacco industry figures in the 1940s showed well over half the over-16s in the UK were smokers, with the proportion rising to nearly two-thirds of men. The proportion of women smokers did not peak until the late 1960s. When the ONS started collating figures in 1974, 45% of Britons smoked, 52% of men and 41% of women.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 10:35 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Trump whines way too much, as to plenty of his supporters....they go on about 'f*** political correctness' and how people should say anything they want whereever and whenever they want. Then when anyone says anything insulting about trump supporters they cry like great big babies. Can dish it out but obviously can't take it when it's pointed at them.

What is this crap all about? You keep telling me to be politically correct about not using the words "The Left" and you come up with this? Are you kidding me? I can take stuff just fine - I've been called everything under the sun and I'm still here, but evidently I'm not allowed to dish it out to "The Left", am I? You just gotta love the double standards.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

K_Kelly wrote:
I'm willing to trade today's tolerant society for the old days where nobody gave a damn if you made fun of other groups.

Some people did give a damn in the old days... the people who were made "fun" of...

... but if they spoke up, they risked getting fired, beaten, arrested, or even killed...

Furthermore, "fat shaming" causes overweight people to gain weight, not lose it.

Jackson, Beeken & Wardle (2014) wrote:
OBJECTIVE: To examine associations between perceived weight discrimination and changes in weight, waist circumference, and weight status.

METHODS: Data were from 2944 men and women aged ≥50 years participating in the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Experiences of weight discrimination were reported in 2010-2011 and weight and waist circumference were objectively measured in 2008-2009 and 2012-2013. ANCOVAs were used to test associations between perceived weight discrimination and changes in weight and waist circumference. Logistic regression was used to test associations with changes in weight status. All analyses adjusted for baseline BMI, age, sex, and wealth.

RESULTS: Perceived weight discrimination was associated with relative increases in weight (+1.66 kg, P < 0.001) and waist circumference (+1.12 cm, P = 0.046). There was also a significant association with odds of becoming obese over the follow-up period (OR = 6.67, 95% CI 1.85-24.04) but odds of remaining obese did not differ according to experiences of weight discrimination (OR = 1.09, 95% CI 0.46-2.59).

CONCLUSIONS: Our results indicate that rather than encouraging people to lose weight, weight discrimination promotes weight gain and the onset of obesity. Implementing effective interventions to combat weight stigma and discrimination at the population level could reduce the burden of obesity.

(my emphasis added)

Source:
Jackson, Sarah E., Rebecca J. Beeken, and Jane Wardle. "Perceived weight discrimination and changes in weight, waist circumference, and weight status." Obesity 22.12 (2014): 2485-2488.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4236245/

So the only rationale for shaming overweight people is to satisfy some sadistic and/or antisocial urge...

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Sep 2016, 11:28 am

RushKing wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Somebody bring the wambulance... :roll:

Free speech is not freedom from criticism.

No, it is not and that is why I will say that these people are the enemies of the state and a healthy functioning society which they can never create on their own or maintain with their diseased totalitarian worldviews. Any country that allows these people power & influence will see themselves enter a state of utter decay and societal collapse, they are intentional destroyers of nations and culture. Useful idiots for the globalist world order, divided nations of mutts (term coined by New York Times writer and Hillary supporter David Brooks) in a constant state of conflict with itself ruled over by international 'technocrats' whose expertise of managing our affairs precludes the need for our democratic participation for we are too stupid to take care and make decisions for of ourselves apparently.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:27 pm

How is mocking someone with acne,a mental disability,overweight,too skinny,different color,different religion,bad teeth,bad hair,bald,short,too tall,different sexuality,physical disability,braces,glasses "fun"??I suppose it makes small minded people feel big when they do it.
It's rude,that's what it is.Just a lack of basic human decency and manners.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:41 pm

GGPViper wrote:
... but if they spoke up, they risked getting fired, beaten, arrested, or even killed...

It was still their responsibility to either have the courage to speak up anyway—which I'm sure a few did—or accept their fate, much like it is today for those who proudly and courageously defend their right to keep being disrespectful and making fun of them.

GGPViper wrote:
Furthermore, "fat shaming" causes overweight people to gain weight, not lose it.

Other people are not responsible for one's actions, including overeating. Besides, they wouldn't gain weight if the discrimination they faced were enough to prevent them from making the money to buy so much food.

GGPViper wrote:
So the only rationale for shaming overweight people is to satisfy some sadistic and/or antisocial urge...

And that urge must exist for a reason. Humans were naturally selected to have it. It serves the purpose of weeding people who can't control their weight out of the gene pool.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.