Why are the progressives and left of the US so aggressive?

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Hexen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Nov 2016, 9:11 am

Awesomelyglorious
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 2:57 pm

Hexen wrote:

False equivalence. Nutty "Kill All Men" people are a minority of the Democratic coalition. Most members of the Democratic coalition would also feel uncomfortable with the presence of one of these people. Same with SJWs. So, SJWs are part of the intellectual universe that the left exists in, but they aren't actually even dominant. They try to push around issues of political correctness, but other avenues feel perfectly fine pushing back, and... honestly, my guess is that even without a Trump presidency, SJWs would win a few (less concerning) battles but also at some point weaken as other movements critiques would start to catch on, and the SJW generation grows up with later generations rejecting these ideas as too sensitive and petty.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:25 pm

Outrider wrote:
Jesus Christ, The U.S.A doesn't even elect its presidents directly?

I was always jealous of you guys having non-compulsory voting, but I'd rather elect my leader directly with my own vote than 'elect an elector'..! !

It's called a republic. We elect representatives and electing the president works the same way. 2 electors per senator and 1 electors for every representative in the house. Republic protects the minority from the majority preventing mob rule. It makes sure California and newyork can't decide what happens in Kansas and ensures the minority gets equal representation. Rome was a republic. Without the minority's would be slaughtered and a civil war would break out. Imagine two states deciding what happens to the other 48 states. Those states would want out.

The electors vote how their state popular vote went. 51% of kanas votes for trump so Kansas votes for trump. 51% of California votes for Hilary so California votes Hilary with all of a its 55 votes. My state gets 7 votes.
Some states award their votes separately so could go half hal but most do all for the majority. If for example all states did it 18 of California's votes would gone to trump. Half of my states 7 votes would gone for trump. 1/3 of New York's vote gone to trump. So trump still would likely won. I doubt democrat states would ever allow their electoral votes to be split by popular votes. So my vote no matter what will always mean nothing as Oregon always votes democrat

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:27 pm

Outrider wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
Outrider wrote:

I was always jealous of you guys having non-compulsory voting, but I'd rather elect my leader directly with my own vote than 'elect an elector'..! !

...why is like everyone in this board Australian?

Quite the contrary, mate.

Of all the members of this website, Australia is one of the tiniest in member count.

Obviously the U.S. is the biggest membership here, but I've seen more South Americans, Europeans, Asians, and even more African members here than Aussies.

Including me, there's like 6 active Australian users.

I didn't say on this forum, I said on this BOARD. It's ironic because it's mainly discussing American politics and precisely because there are so few Australians on the forum.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2016, 8:33 pm

sly279 wrote:
Outrider wrote:

It's called a republic. We elect representatives and electing the president works the same way. 2 electors per senator and 1 electors for every representative in the house. Republic protects the minority from the majority preventing mob rule. It makes sure California and newyork can't decide what happens in Kansas and ensures the minority gets equal representation. Rome was a republic. Without the minority's would be slaughtered and a civil war would break out. Imagine two states deciding what happens to the other 48 states. Those states would want out.

The electors vote how their state popular vote went. 51% of kanas votes for trump so Kansas votes for trump. 51% of California votes for Hilary so California votes Hilary with all of a its 55 votes. My state gets 7 votes.
Some states award their votes separately so could go half hal but most do all for the majority. If for example all states did it 18 of California's votes would gone to trump. Half of my states 7 votes would gone for trump. 1/3 of New York's vote gone to trump. So trump still would likely won. I doubt democrat states would ever allow their electoral votes to be split by popular votes. So my vote no matter what will always mean nothing as Oregon always votes democrat

The electoral college has nothing to do with being a republic. The fact we have a president and other representatives is what makes it a republic. Also, your notion of the how the electoral college works is inaccurate, because that's NOT how the voting works. The votes don't automatically go to the party, it just elects the electors, who have the freedom to vote for whoever they want, even though they are supposed to vote in line with their party. Finally, it doesn't actually provide the protection it's supporters claim it provides. More information in these videos:

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html