Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 4:05 am

I'm in agreement with this author here:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nikki-joh ... 75938.html

I disliked the way a lot of liberals (but not all) took shots at Melania Trump, with some even slut-shaming her or insulting her intelligence. And these were people that fought for equality, making it a bit hypocritical.

The other thing I disliked with the Democrats' campaigning was the dismissive attitude a lot of liberals had toward the white working-class people of the Rust Belt, which is what did Hillary in, I think. Making fun of a group of people, who have had privilege, for their present-day experience of financial and career insecurity and a declining standard of living. I think, personally, that this is one of the most wrong-headed approaches we could have taken, because the division of the working-class into white people and people of color, to where they mistrust and work against each other, is what instituted the system of white supremacy in the first place, starting with the aftermath of Bacon's rebellion. If we want to achieve progress, we need to unite the working-class.

There are other issues for the Democrats, who have still been pushing corporatist and imperialist policies, like FATCA and citizenship-based taxation of Americans working abroad causing tremendous burdens for them, while wanting to reward American corporations for hiding their money overseas by lowering the tax rate of bringing it home and letting those corporations direct infrastructure development (Partnership to Build America Act).

There's something rotten in the Democratic Party, and I am glad this aspect of the party has been repudiated. I hope we can work better toward achieving racial and gender equality and a more just world together.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 12:03 pm

The Democrats acted downright arrogant, they really believed that Hillary DESERVED to be elected and that the election was a mere annoying formality, and that the white working class were simply misguided, petulant children who would eventually see the error of their ways and flock to Hillary in the end. That ivory tower arrogance, the idea that the elite know what's best for the peasants so the peasants need to just shut up and fall in line, offended millions of people who were already angry at the elite after 8 years of that viewpoint in the WH from Obama. The Left once stood for worker empowerment and confronting the robber barons. They need to go back to that to survive.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 12:16 pm

B.S.

The democrats lost because of decades of corruption and complacency.

The republicans are no better. Both parties are corrupt and owned by corporations and billionaires who use our government for their benefit.

People can believe that their party is winning all they want. Most of them will never reap any benefits from it, the only people who win when a democrat or republican gets elected are the rich.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 1:49 pm

It was not just this election against Trump supporters. It has been against all conservatives, religious people, gun culture, People who prefer Wallmart etc, etc for several decades. It was more the hubris, it is a full blown superiority complex. And not just the leaders but a vast majority of progressive voters. It has been a rare political conversation that I have seen in the 20 years or so the internet has been around that that stupid and some sort of "ist" has not been used by a so called progressive to invalidate another view. Until now the Republicans were different but elitist also. Trump got it for purly marketing purposes or otherwise.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 1:51 pm

It was not just this election against Trump supporters. It has been against all conservatives, religious people, gun culture, People who prefer Wallmart etc, etc for several decades. It was more then hubris, it is a full blown superiority complex. And not just the leaders but a vast majority of progressive voters. It has been a rare political conversation that I have seen in the 20 years or so the internet has been around that that stupid and some sort of "ist" has not been used by a so called progressive to invalidate another view. Until now the Republicans were different but elitist also. Trump got it for purly marketing purposes or otherwise.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 1:57 pm

I agree, the Democrats had lost what had once been their key constituency, the white working class. I think much of that occurred because the Democrats felt betrayed by Reagan Democrats, who then began accepting Republican fear mongering about immigrants (legal and illegal),homophobia, and voter suppression under the guise of fighting voter fraud, etc. Because Republicans are more adept at pushing the right emotional buttons, working class whites have lost sight of the fact that it's been the Republicans who had enabled big business to leave their loyal work force impoverished by cutting wages, benefits, and sending business overseas, all the while silencing the collective voice of the working class with union busting.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2016, 2:46 pm

Guardian has finally cottoned on to the fact that #vagina2016 wasn't a viable campaign stragegy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... men-voters

There are multiple reasons Clinton's campaign failed. The most important factor was Clinton herself. She failed to attract voters.