Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 2:11 am

thinking that we could possibly have a mormon president is on the same level of crazy as that we could possibly have a scientologist president.

and yes, i know freedom of religion.....doesn't mean freedom to implement religion in government. but yes, it does mean freedom FROM religion if the individual so chooses.

still don't get how people could buy into such a wackjob religion as mormonism....or scientology for that matter. they're not even millenia old where people don't know any better...at most, mormonism is just a couple centuries old. scientology is at least set up like a scam to where people normally don't know what they're buying into for a while. mormonism is just straight up crazy.

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 2:18 am

thinking that we could possibly have an atheist president is on the same level of crazy as that we could possibly have a scientologist president.

and yes, i know freedom from religion.....doesn't mean freedom to eliminate the religious in government. but yes, it does mean freedom of religion if the individual so chooses.

still don't get how people could buy into such a wackjob thing like atheism....or scientology for that matter. they're not even millenia old where people don't know any better...at most, atheism is just a couple centuries old. scientology is at least set up like a scam to where people normally don't know what they're buying into for a while. atheism is just straight up crazy.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 2:36 am

ooop i've gone and offended a mormon.

it's okay.....it's okay...if there were a god, he'd strike me down right now for swearing against him.

.....still alive. oh well.

skafather84
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 2:39 am

The US Supreme Court in Joseph Burstyn, Inc v. Wilson 1952 held that the New York State blasphemy law was an unconstitutional prior restraint on freedom of speech. The court stated that "It is not the business of government in our nation to suppress real or imagined attacks upon a particular religious doctrine, whether they appear in publications, speeches or motion pictures."

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 3:05 am

I would rather vote for an Atheist, but sadly there are never any frontrunning Atheists. Every main candidate is SOME sort of Christian.

I do agree that Mormonism is a farce though. It was proven that there weren't Jews in South America....Scientology is even worse though. Better a Mormon than a Scientologist in my opinion...

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

14 May 2007, 3:39 am

Since all religion is illogical and only a religious persons likely can be elected in most of the US I doubt it makes much difference if they are followers of a modern fake or an old fashion fake religion. We assume some how a person must be more nutty to follow the modern religions but that may not be true at all.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:07 am

The US president is required to say that they believe in a "higher being"

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:11 am

An atheist president would be better.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:24 am

Sopho wrote:

The US doesn't let Atheists become presidents :evil:

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:28 am

Anubis wrote:
Sopho wrote:

That's because they're stupid. I think they should have a black, gay, autistic, atheist president.

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:39 am

Anubis wrote:
Sopho wrote:

Are you serious?? That is bloody ridiculous.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:40 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Sopho wrote:

They won't vote for one though.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:42 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Sopho wrote:

Nope, I read somewhere that they have to vow that they believe in a higher being. *checks on wikipedia*

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:44 am

Anubis wrote:
Nope, I read somewhere that they have to vow that they believe in a higher being. *checks on wikipedia*

LOL
I would vow that I believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.
All of America shall be touched by his noodley appendage!

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 8:45 am

Quote:
By convention established by George Washington, the President adds the words "so help me God" at the conclusion of the oath. Also, the President-elect's name is typically added after the "I", for example, "I, George Washington, do...." Normally, the Chief Justice of the United States administers the oath. It is sometimes asserted that the oath bestows upon the President the power to do whatever is necessary to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution." Andrew Jackson, while vetoing an Act for the renewal of the charter of the national bank, implied that the President could refuse to execute statutes that he felt were unconstitutional. In suspending the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus, President Abraham Lincoln claimed that he acted in accordance with the oath. His action was challenged in court and overturned by the U.S. Circuit Court in Maryland (led by Supreme Court Chief Justice Roger B. Taney) in Ex Parte Merryman, 17 F. Cas. 144 (C.C.D. Md. 1861). Lincoln ignored Taney's order. Finally, Andrew Johnson's counsel referred to the theory during his impeachment trial. Otherwise, few have seriously asserted that the oath augments the President's powers.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2007, 11:06 am

From a constitutional standpoint, I don't believe an atheist is "not allowed" to be President (although some constitutional scholars from the 18th century, some of which I generally respect, thought this to be the case).

It is true that the words "so help me God" are by custom and are not in the Constitution itself.

The reasons Americans (50% of them aprox.) would not vote for an atheist for President probably has to do with a worry that a person (more so then a secularist or an agnostic) would not understand or be respectful to America's religious traditions.