Israeli Settlments and National Realization

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 9:26 am

Reuters: U.N. Security Council denounces Israeli settlements, U.S. abstains

Nothing more than a parting shot at Netanyahu from Obama.

I must say though that I am surprised that Netanyahu would expect support for the settlements from the U.N. It's Israel's action in this regard that stands in the way of any progress.

Do Israeli's believe that their Jewishness entitles them to displace other peoples from their homes? If so, why?

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:28 pm

androbot01 wrote:

I must say though that I am surprised that Netanyahu would expect support for the settlements from the U.N. It's Israel's action in this regard that stands in the way of any progress.

Do Israeli's believe that their Jewishness entitles them to displace other peoples from their homes? If so, why?

It is a matter of survival. The Palestinians intend to kill all the Jews they can get their hands on.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 9:53 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

It is a matter of survival. The Palestinians intend to kill all the Jews they can get their hands on.

So Palestinians will see the error of their ways after their homes are stolen?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:23 pm

Nothing will change till Palestinian extremists stop wanting to murder Israelis, and till the Palestinian Authority and the Hamas government of Gaza stop enabling said terrorists. That said, colonizing Palestinian land, and bulldozing the homes of Palestinian terrorists, does nothing but create more terrorists.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 2:54 pm

Israel would be more vulnerable to the Palestinians if they encroached on the Jewish border.

This type of pre-emptive strike to protecting, and increasing, a fragile border is not unique to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. To wit:

Taiwan's strategic position between the U.S. and China is the main reason China wants to keep a stranglehold on Taiwan.

Kashmir's strategic position between India and Pakistan is the main reason India wants to keep a stranglehold on Kashmir.

Poland was unnecessarily dragged into the conflict between Nazi Germany and Russia because of their unfortunate position between the two warring countries.

Finland is also in the unfortunate position as being a buffer between Russia and northern Europe, a position which led to the Winter War between Finland and Russia.

People are fleeing Yemen by the thousands because they've been caught in a war between Saudi Arabia and Yemen.

Laos was also in the unfortunate position of being between Vietnam and Cambodia which caused them to become embroiled in both the Vietnam war and Cambodia's Khmer Rouge conflicts. No doubt, both Vietnam and Cambodia would've loved to have annexed east Laos for their own personal gain, and that probably woul've happened had the U.S. not interfere in the conflicts of southeast Asia.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 4:43 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Israel would be more vulnerable to the Palestinians if they encroached on the Jewish border.

This type of pre-emptive strike to protecting, and increasing, a fragile border is not unique to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. To wit:

Taiwan's strategic position between the U.S. and China is the main reason China wants to keep a stranglehold on Taiwan.

Kashmir's strategic position between India and Pakistan is the main reason India wants to keep a stranglehold on Kashmir.

Poland was unnecessarily dragged into the conflict between Nazi Germany and Russia because of their unfortunate position between the two warring countries.

Finland is also in the unfortunate position as being a buffer between Russia and northern Europe, a position which led to the Winter War between Finland and Russia.

People are fleeing Yemen by the thousands because they've been caught in a war between Saudi Arabia and Yemen.

Laos was also in the unfortunate position of being between Vietnam and Cambodia which caused them to become embroiled in both the Vietnam war and Cambodia's Khmer Rouge conflicts. No doubt, both Vietnam and Cambodia would've loved to have annexed east Laos for their own personal gain, and that probably woul've happened had the U.S. not interfere in the conflicts of southeast Asia.

Just a bit of an historical correction - Germany and Russia had invaded Poland when those two countries were still allies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2016, 8:41 pm

Israel's Netanyahu Summons U.S. Ambassador After U.N. Vote

Quote:
"According to our information, we have no doubt the Obama administration initiated it (the resolution), stood behind it, coordinated the wording and demanded it be passed," Netanyahu told the cabinet in public remarks.

Another official said Netanyahu had ordered that for the coming three weeks, until President-elect Donald Trump takes office, cabinet ministers refrain from traveling to or meeting officials of countries that voted in favor of the resolution.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 9:30 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Sure they do. That's why the West Bank 'security' wall swallowed up tens of thousands of Palestinians into the 'Israeli' side of the wall.

All of this is to reinforce the myth that Obama has been hostile to Israel. Any further actions like this will be vetoed by Trump.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 1:17 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:

Is this surprising considering the fact that their country was invaded and taken over by people who had survived the holocaust? Had both sides come to a mutually workable agreement in 1948, then there would not be a problem. This is not the case, and what we have now is a sustainment of bad decision making on all sides involved. --Why should we interfere, or add more fuel to their continued state of dysfunction?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2016, 2:14 pm

Fogman wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

Is this surprising considering the fact that their country was invaded and taken over by people who had survived the holocaust? Had both sides come to a mutually workable agreement in 1948, then there would not be a problem. This is not the case, and what we have now is a sustainment of bad decision making on all sides involved. --Why should we interfere, or add more fuel to their continued state of dysfunction?

If any group of people had done what the Zionists did in 1947-48, there still would have been a response. Zionist leaders always intended to take all of Palestine, though some of the commanders did not.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2016, 8:35 pm

androbot01 wrote:

If the Palestinians were reasonable people you would be absolutely right. But the Palestinean aim has not changed from what it was in 1946. Kill every Jew or drive every Jew out of the area. As Abba Eben a leading politician in the early days of Israel wrote: The Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. A dozen times they could have reached a peaceful settlement with Israel and worked out a modus vivendi, but each and every time they have refused. First under Arafat and then with Hamas which is even worse.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 11:55 am

BaalChatzaf wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

If the Palestinians were reasonable people you would be absolutely right. But the Palestinean aim has not changed from what it was in 1946. Kill every Jew or drive every Jew out of the area. As Abba Eben a leading politician in the early days of Israel wrote: The Palestinians never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity. A dozen times they could have reached a peaceful settlement with Israel and worked out a modus vivendi, but each and every time they have refused. First under Arafat and then with Hamas which is even worse.

Any evidence for any of this? Israel will never allow there to be peace.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 2:46 pm

Fogman wrote:
BaalChatzaf wrote:

When was the country of Palestine invaded?

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 5:33 pm

Started in 1947.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 6:00 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Started in 1947.

I believe you're mistaken on the date. There was no country of Palestine in 1947.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2016, 7:38 pm

Bataar wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Started in 1947.

I believe you're mistaken on the date. There was no country of Palestine in 1947.

You are correct that there was no 'Country' or 'Nation' of Palestine in the 1940's, as it was then a British Protectorate, that they had acquired after the fall of the Ottoman Empire, however the there was still a populated geographical location called 'Palestine', and most of that population was Arabic. The fact that an organised invasion of that geographical location by European/Ashkenazic Jews who fled Europe for that location during, and after the Nazi era is well known, as is how that particular group of people essentially colonized that area, and took power away from the people who had lived there for nearly well over a thousand years is historical accord.