Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 2:22 pm

What is your opinion on how so many on both the right and left seem so defensive of the Putin regime? Personally I believe its a case of the west abandoning its principles whether that's international policy of unjust wars or whether its taking away citizens rights such as free speech and privacy.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 9:04 am

Wow, it's hard for me to imagine someone on the Right supporting his style of government, because most people I know on the Right, support LESS government interference. NOT that I don't believe you----this is the only forum site I visit, so I don't know----I just think it's strange.

As for those who support him: The first thing that came to my mind, upon reading the OP, was that those people are lazy, maybe----that they think if the government is taking care of everything, that's that much less they have to worry about. 'Course, it could be argued, I guess, that they feel that much more secure in their futures, economy, military, infrastructure, and so-forth----but, *I* sure wouldn't want such a far-reaching government.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

There are people on the right who support Putin most notably Infowars. It seems to be stupid people mainly, I think its Putin's macho man act wins over lots of idiots.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 9:49 am

I would say that people in Russia like Putin for similar reasons as to why they liked the Communist governments---primarily because it gives them a sense of "stability." They can rely on the government to do most of the work for them.

This is why, I believe, some people like authoritarian governments with one leader who serves quite a number of years.

This is also why, perhaps, some people like Trump. It's because he, supposedly, exudes strength because of his seeming decisiveness.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 11:11 am

Daniel89 wrote:
There are people on the right who support Putin most notably Infowars. It seems to be stupid people mainly, I think its Putin's macho man act wins over lots of idiots.

The Right supports him because they think he will kill all radical muslims.

The Left supports him because he’s anti-US.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:21 am

The American right has embraced Putin due to his covert support for Trump in the last Presidential election. But even before that, you had right wingers like Mike Huckabee giving Putin support, as among other things, the Russian strongman is vehemently homophobic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 12:28 am

He got re-elected yesterday. And I don’t think for a second that our election was the only one he meddled in. Who knows how many countries he’s screwed up in terms of election tampering (including Mother Russia)

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Mar 2018, 7:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

The Right supports him because they think he will kill all radical muslims.

The Left supports him because he’s anti-US.

I think that's a part of it. I think the pro-Putin right are more interested by the way he suppresses the rights of women and LGBT+ people.

I also think we should consider that lately there's been a lot of attempts to "expose" links to Putin and tar politicians with them. If your favourite politician is criticised for being too close to Putin, then thanks to confirmation bias, you're less likely to say "in that case my favourite politician is bad" and more likely to say "well in that case Putin can't be that bad". Three years ago, most people didn't have strong views on Putin - he was basically a slightly more eccentric version of Xi.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:00 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think that's a part of it. I think the pro-Putin right are more interested by the way he suppresses the rights of women and LGBT+ people.

How, exactly, has President Putin "suppressed the rights of women"? Could you provide a specific example?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2018, 11:14 pm

Lintar wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

How, exactly, has President Putin "suppressed the rights of women"? Could you provide a specific example?

I believe he loosened the laws regarding domestic violence.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:04 am

26 countries and counting expelling Russian spies...errr...I mean diplomats due to the nerve agent!
Hoowah! :thumleft:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:16 am

Pepe wrote:
26 countries and counting expelling Russian spies...errr...I mean diplomats due to the nerve agent!
Hoowah! :thumleft:

God bless those 26 and counting countries! :thumleft:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:29 am

those expelled spies are now heroes to the motherland. the only thing that will touch the Russian bear is hitting 'em in the pocket book.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 2:03 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Wow, it's hard for me to imagine someone on the Right supporting his style of government, because most people I know on the Right, support LESS government interference. NOT that I don't believe you----this is the only forum site I visit, so I don't know----I just think it's strange.

It's not that far-fetched to see traditionalist/reactionary nationalists outside of Russia sympathizing with Putin, and they'd certainly qualify as 'right wing', just as Putin himself does. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 10:09 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

It's not that far-fetched to see traditionalist/reactionary nationalists outside of Russia sympathizing with Putin, and they'd certainly qualify as 'right wing', just as Putin himself does. :wink:

According to one author, Putin has been regularly financing all right wing parties in Europe.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2018, 12:39 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

According to one author, Putin has been regularly financing all right wing parties in Europe.

I doubt that. Corbyn is extremely left wing and gets fawning coverage on RT. Putin wants the west to be weak he doesn't care about internal domestic politics.