Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 3:33 pm

Wow...that is f*cked up, damn idiots.

Boudewijn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Mar 2017, 5:01 pm

What is more "f***ed up" is that an honest mistake like this is even deemed worthy of writing an article about, and that it's followed up by the usual parade of drones on internet forums and social media lining up to tell everyone how shocked and appalled they are.

Grow up.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 5:15 pm

Is it me, or are people majorly overreacting to this?

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 5:31 pm

Or maaaaaaaybe, they see a snow white man and two snow white kids that don't look asian in the slightest and a much darker skinned asian woman and think that's not the mother.

And then they think here we have an important man who will have significant demands on his time and won't be short on cash, so might have need of a nanny. So perhaps this woman is his nanny.

Boudewijn wrote:
What is more "f***ed up" is that an honest mistake like this is even deemed worthy of writing an article about, and that it's followed up by the usual parade of drones on internet forums and social media lining up to tell everyone how shocked and appalled they are.

Grow up.

This.

People need to STOP knee jerking to the racism assumption whenever there's even the slightest chance something could be racist.

There's also been plenty of SJW s**t around this people banging on about this being the patriarchy in action, etc... :roll:

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:06 pm

Seems like an honest mistake. I think it was more because it was an interracial marriage.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:45 pm

Unquestioned assumptions can get you into trouble. Cognitive laziness gets people into more trouble than malice, but when they can't admit their own flawed reasoning, a lot of people will go directly to malice in defense of their ego.

That's the standard order. Plausible honest mistake gets challenged, defensive response or inept apology, internet trolls bring gasoline to the spark.

Nothing makes an honest mistake less plausible than a defensive over-reaction to a challenge to it. Look at the pattern of such events and learn from it, all you shrieking anti-social-justice people in this thread, lest a similar fate befall you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:50 pm

I also noticed it seems she looks a lot younger than him, which would lead people to think nanny/babysitter, rather than wife.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 8:55 pm

EzraS wrote:
I also noticed it seems she looks a lot younger than him, which would lead people to think nanny/babysitter, rather than wife.

I admit I didn't watch the video, but I read the article. From my understanding asians on general tend to look younger. Not sure how true that is I live in an area where asians are the second largest minority and doesn't seem to hold up, what is your opinion?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2017, 10:21 pm

I didn't watch the whole video so I didn't see the mother. I thought the kids were brats and both their parents were clueless on how to keep their children in their place. And people are naturally racist.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:30 am

This is a racist-based assumption that is being too normalized among Caucasians, every time I am with an Asian and people are like 'are you dating your maid?'.

The little girl does have asian facial features.

No, I don't think the article is overacting, this symptom is real.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:53 am

The only concern I have is for the callous manner in which he pushed his daughter away.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 5:58 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
This is a racist-based assumption that is being too normalized among Caucasians, every time I am with an Asian and people are like 'are you dating your maid?'.

Who was harmed by the assumption of some random people on the internet?

Was she demoted from wife to maid due to the flawed perceptions of viewers?

We all make shorthand assumptions based on preconceptions, and it's easy to understand why some might view that short scene and come to the conclusion that the woman nervously shepherding the two small children out of the room, doing her best to hide behind furniture and crouching low so as not to draw attention away from the man being interviewed is clearly subservient to said fellow.

Perhaps it's more of an indictment of him than it is of her.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 6:29 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

How do you know only caucasians thought that?

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 7:55 am

adifferentname wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Who was harmed by the assumption of some random people on the internet?

Was she demoted from wife to maid due to the flawed perceptions of viewers?

We all make shorthand assumptions based on preconceptions, and it's easy to understand why some might view that short scene and come to the conclusion that the woman nervously shepherding the two small children out of the room, doing her best to hide behind furniture and crouching low so as not to draw attention away from the man being interviewed is clearly subservient to said fellow.

Perhaps it's more of an indictment of him than it is of her.

Or it could be, you know, the fact it's going to be seen by potentially millions, which indeed it was, that's the cause of that, or maybe the fact she might be worried she just torpedoed her husband's career out of the water, or both, rather than her husband, who doesn't even look that bothered by the whole thing.

Honestly though, I am really disappointed by many of the posts in this thread.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2017, 7:58 am

adifferentname wrote:
The only concern I have is for the callous manner in which he pushed his daughter away.

I think you're really overreacting.