Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 8:19 pm

So apparently the replicated food has gotten so advanced they had people taste testing replicated burgers. Basically they replicate meat cells to make a whole burger. Apparently a lot of people that tried them said it tasted good but a wee bit off...I figure that is to be expected but that they were still palatable is a good thing.

IDK I would have no issue eating something like that, would any of you?

But this could certainly serve the meat needs of people without having to slaughter so many real live animals, it could also cut down on factory farming and such...fast food places could just get replicated meat and fry it up to be tasty instead of contributing to cruel farm practices. Idk I see a lot of potential for this sort of thing before I think of it being a bit odd and maybe even disturbing.

I mean fast food meat is already processed beyond reason so why not just use replicated laboratory meat? Also it seems like very early stages of the food replicators they have in star trek...lol.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 8:28 pm

I'd probably at least try it. If the flavor is close enough and the texture isn't fuctup I might try it again. Some of the real beef we get lacks flavor, anyway. Of course, cost will factor in.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 8:30 pm

I'm not sure if I would eat something like that, I don't know much about how they are making it but isn't very processed and full of chemicals?

Although it would be nice to stop the industrial scale of meat producing. I don't have anything against eating animals, I just don't like how alienated we are from the food we eat and how it envolves unnecessary cruelty. This laboratory meat could fix the cruelty thing, but still is processed food.

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 8:41 pm

Its gonna be like eating vegetables or fruit. I hate every second of it but by god do we need to do it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 9:08 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
I'm not sure if I would eat something like that, I don't know much about how they are making it but isn't very processed and full of chemicals?

Although it would be nice to stop the industrial scale of meat producing. I don't have anything against eating animals, I just don't like how alienated we are from the food we eat and how it envolves unnecessary cruelty. This laboratory meat could fix the cruelty thing, but still is processed food.

From what I understand there is not a whole lot of processing of the inital product...they add some color and flavor to it to make up for what it lacks but aside from that its really just repeated cell material.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Mar 2017, 9:21 pm

As long as its labeled and I know what it is, cant imagine it can be a perfect replicate

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 9:31 pm

Well, if we are headed for ecological disaster where animal life dies off, and humans swarm the planet like a plague (as if we aren't already), then replicated meat might just be the food of the future, whether we like it or not.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 2:34 am

If the nutritional value is the same, then I absolutely would.

I believe in the importance of eating meat and poultry, but I don't like the fact that animals exist and die to feed me, so I'd welcome any valid alternative.

I also have a lot of issues with the textures of meat and poultry. They must be perfect, so I end up leaving a lot of your typical piece of meat or chicken breast. If they could get rid of all of the textures I don't like, even better!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 5:14 am

I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 6:45 am

I'll gladly eat it if it tastes nice.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 7:03 am

I wouldn't mind eating it.

I'll need to look up how exactly it is made though. As far as I know not all cells grown in cell cultures don't need any animals to be killed. If I'm not mistaken at least some cell cultures need growth factors and they are at least sometimes isolated from dead animals (though I'm pretty sure they could be produced in yeast once it is known how).
But, as I have no idea how they make this particular meat, maybe it actually doesn't harm any animal.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 9:48 am

What is this replicated meat made of anyway?

If it has to made in some lab it might be just as costly to the environment as real meat.

Also, am reminded of back in the 70's when mom announced that we are all gonna stop eating bacon, and try fake bacon (turkey bacon or maybe it was soy bacon, or something) we all tried it, and we all balked. It looks like bacon but didnt taste like it. And the family immediately switched to cream cheese, and to peanut butter, to get our morning protein (honest food that aint bacon, as opposed to dishonest food that pretends to be bacon but misses the mark), and I still eat peanut butter sandwiches for breakfast now.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:24 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I personally have no problem with eating animals, as we are just one of many species that eat other creatures. If lions and wolves aren't going to stop eating other animals, I don't think I should have to, either.

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 10:57 am

Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

That's not a fair comparison because those animals are carnivores, while we are not.

Wild animals have no choice....it's eat or be eaten. We have a choice.

I like the way this choice is demonstrated in the recent news story where people are trying to save, and adopt, dogs from a Korean dog farm.

Personally, although not a vegetarian, I'll be leaving puppies off my menu, regardless of how tasty they may be.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 12:25 pm

I don't know much about this replicated meat, but I wonder if you'd be eating 100% meat? No fat, gristle, or other junk?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2017, 1:39 pm

Drake wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're half right; we're omnivores. Like Mikey, we'll eat anything.