Page 22 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 9:20 pm

What’s wrong with what’s being taught in college?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 9:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Me?
Check the thread title. :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 9:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Reality has a well-known left-wing bias. This is why some political blocs are much more hostile to education than others. :wink:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2020, 10:12 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Reality has a well-known left-wing bias. This is why some political blocs are much more hostile to education than others. :wink:

You mean:
In reality,
Academia has a well-know left-wing bias,
At the detriment of intellectualism. :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Apr 2020, 1:38 am

If claims that vaccines are helpful and young earth creationism is ridiculous are leftist then surely, there is a left wing bias in academia.

But seriously: Given that right wing is conservative and the left wing is all into trying something new, there may be some natural selection.
Academia is the place to conceive and test new ideas. People enthusiastic towards new ideas are attracted to it more than the rest. Thus, overrepresentation of left wingers is quite possible.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 2:05 am

Pepe wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

You mean:
In reality,
Academia has a well-know left-wing bias,
At the detriment of intellectualism. :mrgreen:

No, that's not what I meant. Perhaps that's how you feel, but I don't agree.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 4:50 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Reality has a well-known left-wing bias.

... care to offer a few examples?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 6:06 am

just dropping by to observe that all political & religious persuasions are pro-science when they think it supports their ideology, and anti-science when they think it doesn’t.

Have a nice day all :D

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:18 am

You'll probably find crazies in every camp, but intelligent people too.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 11:04 am

To add another two cents:

Universities are places that foster academia. Academia is most interested in things that challenge the status quo. Thus, given that we typically conceive of the left as "challenging the status quo" obviously those opinions are more attractive to academia.

Sometimes things can get a little ridiculous. There are well-known experimental hoaxes that (frequently left-wing!) academics will pull on journals by submitting smart-sounding jargon and getting them published.

https://psmag.com/education/a-philosoph ... e-or-fraud

Also look up the Sokal hoax.

It's relatively well-intentioned and benign, I think. All that said, I've definitely seen weird trends towards academia publishing anything that seeks to dismantle "social constructs" and I think cultural postmodernism is as of right now a big academic fad.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 2:07 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:

Universities are places that foster academia. Academia is most interested in things that challenge the status quo. Thus, given that we typically conceive of the left as "challenging the status quo" obviously those opinions are more attractive to academia.

Sometimes things can get a little ridiculous. There are well-known experimental hoaxes that (frequently left-wing!) academics will pull on journals by submitting smart-sounding jargon and getting them published.

It's relatively well-intentioned and benign, I think. All that said, I've definitely seen weird trends towards academia publishing anything that seeks to dismantle "social constructs" and I think cultural postmodernism is as of right now a big academic fad.

I'll keep this short.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 2:12 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:

OK, perhaps that was too short. :mrgreen:

My problem with the infusion of left-wing influence in academia is the intolerance of concepts/philosophies which differ from their own. :wink:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 2:30 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
You'll probably find crazies in every camp, but intelligent people too.

-A person's brain doesn't fully develop physically until they are around 25.
-At a younger age, the neocortex generally is not as influential as the more primitive elements of the brain, evolutionarily speaking.
-The emotional aspects of the brain tend to have a greater influence on younger people.
-Many/most young people are seduced by the allure of emotional satiation, rather than the satisfaction of objective rationalism/intellectualism.

Please connect the dots, errr, I mean the dashes. :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Apr 2020, 3:51 am

Pepe wrote:

My problem with the infusion of left-wing influence in academia is the intolerance of concepts/philosophies which differ from their own. :wink:

In Math and Physics, I know several distinguishly right-winged academics - and several left-winged academics alike.
It may be easier in these fields, as in natural science, research is largely independent from political views of the researcher.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 4:01 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:

In Math and Physics, I know several distinguishly right-winged academics - and several left-winged academics alike.
It may be easier in these fields, as in natural science, research is largely independent from political views of the researcher.

One could also note that here in Britain our premier university (Oxford) has maintained the secondary function of being the primary bastion of intellectual conservatism in these islands for several centuries.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2020, 5:15 am

magz wrote:
Pepe wrote:

So, in your opinion,
You don't see a left-wing bias.
But many, including myself, do.

Perhaps things are different in Poland, assuming you are using that context.
But a political non-partisanship isn't the case here in Australia.

For example,
In your academic culture/circle, are western achievements frowned on and seen as part of the teachings of "White Supremacy"?
There are examples of this happening here in Australia, to our shame.