Page 13 of 25 [ 395 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 25  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2018, 7:08 pm

Darmok wrote:
Is it South Africa in the 1950s, or the USA in 2018?

University offers whites-only meetings to help staff, students ‘work toward white consciousness’

A series of whites-only events happening this fall at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte looks to help white staff members and students at that university “work toward white consciousness” and develop “anti-racist practice.”

The program, called “White Consciousness Conversations,” is meant for both white staff members and students at the university “who are interested in engaging in conversations to assist in their understanding of Whiteness.”

“Understanding white privilege and engaging in anti-racist practice is crucial in creating racial equity,” the event listings declare. “Come join in conversation with IEE staff as we work toward white consciousness.” IEE refers to the school’s Office of Identity, Equity and Engagement....

Another public university was in the news recently for hosting a whites-only discussion group. The University of Maryland offered its students a program through its counseling center called “White Awake” that was meant as “a safe space for White students to explore their experiences, questions, reactions, and feelings.”

https://www.thecollegefix.com/whites-on ... ciousness/

USA in 2018.

The words "white consciousness" invokes the KKK and Tiki torch marchers or South Africa 1950. This is anything but that. This is SJW thinking in action. The idea is to teach white students that they are born privileged and racist. I do not know white the hell the University of Maryland is trying to do but whatever all this is accomplishing is undoing decades of integration progress in paid in blood and lives.

There were no safe spaces for people trying to fight racism back then

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2018, 2:19 pm

Academics Expose ‘Grievance Studies’ Field by Submitting Hoax Papers to Journals

Three academics spent more than a year submitting absurd “hoax” papers to preeminent journals focusing on race, gender, sexuality, and other politically fraught disciplines that the academics call “grievance studies.”

The self-identified “left-leaning liberal” academics, told the Wall Street Journal that they undertook the project out of concern “that certain aspects of knowledge production in the United States have been corrupted” by a hesitance among academics to question research that’s based on privilege and identity for fear of accusations of bigotry.

Since August 2017, the academics — James Lindsay, a math doctorate; Peter Boghossian an assistant professor of philosophy at Portland State University; and Helen Pluckrose, a London-based scholar of English literature and history — submitted 20 papers to various peer-reviewed journals under pseudonyms, and seven were accepted.

In one particularly telling example, the academics submitted a paper to the feminist geography journal Gender, Place & Culture detailing the“rape culture” supposedly prevalent within dark parks.

The paper — which argues that dog parks are “petri dishes for canine ‘rape culture’” — issues “a call for awareness into the different ways dogs are treated on the basis of their gender and queering behaviors, and the chronic and perennial rape emergency dog parks pose to female dogs.” The data for the study “was constructed to look outlandish on purpose. So asking us for the data would not have been out of sorts. It would have been appropriate, and we would have been exposed immediately,” Lindsay said.

Afilia, a peer-reviewed feminist journal, also accepted one of their papers, “Our Struggle Is My Struggle: Solidarity Feminism as an Intersectional Reply to Neoliberal and Choice Feminism,” which is a rewrite of one chapter of “Mein Kampf.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/aca ... -journals/

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2018, 6:13 pm

How elite Ivy Leaguers are spending big in battleground states to turn Senate blue

The Ivy League sits in deepest coastal blue, far from the battleground states that could determine which party controls the Senate next year, but that doesn’t mean the academics are sitting it out.

Faculty and staff at the eight elite universities have contributed more than $190,000 to campaigns of Democrats in eight races rated as toss-ups by professional oddsmakers, according to records. But only one Republican had been blessed by the Ivies as of late last month — Sen. Ted Cruz, whose bid for re-election in Texas managed to attract $750 from one Yale University librarian.

That’s a ratio of more than 250-to-1, even higher than the 90-1 Democratic lean of the Ivies during President Obama’s re-election campaign in 2012.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ies-facul/

There Are Four Lights!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 8:38 am

Darmok wrote:
How elite Ivy Leaguers are spending big in battleground states to turn Senate blue

The Ivy League sits in deepest coastal blue, far from the battleground states that could determine which party controls the Senate next year, but that doesn’t mean the academics are sitting it out.

Faculty and staff at the eight elite universities have contributed more than $190,000 to campaigns of Democrats in eight races rated as toss-ups by professional oddsmakers, according to records. But only one Republican had been blessed by the Ivies as of late last month — Sen. Ted Cruz, whose bid for re-election in Texas managed to attract $750 from one Yale University librarian.

That’s a ratio of more than 250-to-1, even higher than the 90-1 Democratic lean of the Ivies during President Obama’s re-election campaign in 2012.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... ies-facul/

This doesn't prove they are biased against conservative leaning students. Just that they are educated.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2018, 9:07 am

Prof offers extra credit for attending Democrat campaign event

A Georgia professor offered her students extra credit to attend a campaign event that a Democrat gubernatorial candidate hosted on campus with Democrat Sen. Elizabeth Warren.

Clayton State University criminal justice professor Andrea Allen offered students extra credit to attend an event on Tuesday supporting Democrat Georgia gubernatorial candidate Stacey Abrams, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

“A student’s political preference should not determine his or her grades. Professors at Georgia universities should teach students how to think rather than what to think - end of story.”

“Although I never offer extra credit, I’m making a one-time exception,” Allen told students in the email. “I’m sure you’ve heard by now that the Abrams campaign along with Senator Warren are visiting campus tomorrow at 10 am in the UC commons. They would like a really big turnout. To help out I’m offering the following opportunity: If you attend, take a selfie of you at the events, and upload a pic to the folder I’m creating in D2L, I’ll add 2 bonus points to your final grade.”

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=11410

There Are Four Lights!

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 9:39 am

If it weren't for fake hate crimes, there might be no hate crimes at all.

Fabricating Hate Crimes Is a Byproduct of Victimhood Ideology on College Campuses

Anna Ayers, a student government leader at Ohio University, reported finding threatening messages in the drawer of her desk a few weeks ago.

Ayers, an LGBT student, said the three notes were “hateful, harassing,” according to The Post Athens, a student-run news outlet, and made specific attacks on her sexual identity.

“Senate will never be the same for me,” Ayers told The Post of the notes, the first of which she said appeared Sept. 27 in her desk at the Student Senate. “The friendships will continue to grow, and our successes will always evoke pride, but the memory of my time in senate and at OU will be marred by this experience. We will all have a memory of a time when this body failed one of its own.”

The incident caused a stir on campus. The problem was, that stir was based on a lie.

Police quickly concluded that no hate crime had taken place, and that Ayers actually had written the notes to herself.

The authorities charged Ayers with a misdemeanor, to which she pleaded not guilty. She is no longer a student at the university.

Incidents like this have become a strikingly common trend in the past few years, especially on college campuses....

The infamous 2014 report by Rolling Stone magazine on an entirely made-up rape at the University of Virginia is a prime example. The media soaked up and ran with the story about a violent rape on campus that turned out to be a bizarre scenario created by a troubled student.

Portraying American college campuses as bastions of rape, misogyny, and homophobia is almost laughable, but that is the story activists wanted to run with.

Unfortunately, the number of prominent bogus incidents creates a “boy who cried wolf” effect where people begin to stop believing such stories out of hand because so many have been fake.

“I would say now 80 percent of the events that happen on campus are hoaxes or pranks,” Laird Wilcox, author of the book “Crying Wolf: Hate Crime Hoaxes in America,” told Fox News. “It’s a place where consciousness of discrimination, sexism, and homophobia is at a peak, and when there’s nothing happening, and they need something to happen, they can make it happen.”

https://www.dailysignal.com/2018/10/18/ ... -campuses/

There Are Four Lights!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 2:38 pm

I get that this passes for facts within your echo chamber, but it's not statistically significant. The GOP is currently normalizing hate while they manufacture sentiment that it's a leftist conspiracy.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:21 pm

AspE wrote:
I get that this passes for facts within your echo chamber, but it's not statistically significant. The GOP is currently normalizing hate while they manufacture sentiment that it's a leftist conspiracy.

So they distract from their own hatred by accusing their opponents of hate. It would be funny if it wasn't so effective.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:31 pm

Well what do you expect when there's an anti-education agenda within Conservatism?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:49 pm

cberg wrote:
Well what do you expect when there's an anti-education agenda within Conservatism?

Also something they accuse their opponents off while doing themselves.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

It's actually perfect because it keeps the conversation low enough for everyone to follow.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 8:50 am

The Academic Sacrificed to the Left’s Kavanaugh Frenzy by Sohrab Ahmari

Quote:
The frenzy over Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the U.S. Supreme Court has subsided, but the casualties keep piling up. Among them is William Rainford, the dean of the social work school at the Catholic University of America in Washington, who was suspended earlier this month for a tweet about Julie Swetnick, Kavanaugh’s third and least credible accuser.

When Swetnick’s lupine attorney, Michael Avenatti, published her declaration earlier this month accusing Kavanaugh of running a gang-rape ring in high school, Rainford used his official dean’s account to debunk the allegations.

“Swetnick is 55 [years old],” he wrote. “Kavanaugh is 52 [years old]. Since when do senior girls hang with freshmen boys? If it happened when Kavanaugh was a senior, Swetnick was an adult drinking with [and] by her admission, having sex with underage boys. In another universe, he would be victim [and] she the perp!”

Even some Democrats eventually concluded that Avenatti hurt the anti-Kavanaugh cause by airing such unsubstantiated and vague allegations.

So why is Rainford in hot water? Well, as the dean himself has conceded, he was wrong to use his official account to make the remark. He would probably be in a better spot today had he used a personal account to say the same thing. Rainford took responsibility for the misstep and accepted Catholic University President John Garvey’s decision to suspend his deanship for the rest of the semester (though he continues to teach).

But the activists won’t relent. Campus sources describe a concerted, systematic campaign to push Rainford out of the dean’s job, using every procedural trick afforded by the campus administrative code to force Garvey’s hand. The activists, mainly in the social-work school, have lined up testimonials and petitions suggesting that Rainford’s single tweet has permanently and irrevocably damaged their career prospects. They’ve also drawn up resolutions arguing that Rainford’s tweet somehow violated the social worker’s code. The real aim seems to be to send a message to every conservative on campus about the ideological balance of power.

It’s worth contrasting Rainford’s fate with that of Carol Christine Fair, a political scientist at a different Catholic university, Georgetown, who at the height of the Kavanaugh brouhaha fantasized on Twitter about murdering and castrating Republicans. Georgetown’s initial response was to assert Fair’s freedom of speech and bat away all objections. The university eventually relented and suspended her from the classroom, though she remains affiliated with Georgetown in a researcher’s capacity.

What the Rainford-Fair contrast reveals is that liberalism is the least liberal force in American academic life. The liberalism on display in the effort to destroy Rainford is a mean-spirited, insecure, Nurse-Ratched-style ideology that forgives no offense against its precepts, even after the offender has repented.

And remember why Rainford has been targeted for professional defenestration: for stating the obvious and making claims that were subsequently vindicated in the public sphere. Telling obvious truths is now a professional hazard to American scholars.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 8:54 am

Quote:
Is their a Leftist Agenda in Academia?

Of course there is; objective reality has a distinct Left-wing bias.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 9:36 am

Most people don’t go to college for politics, so why does it matter?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2018, 11:48 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

Most fields are directly or indirectly are influenced by political and social agendas. It is the student who is not interested in politics who is most susceptible to one sided messaging.

Me Here
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Oct 2018, 12:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Most fields are directly or indirectly are influenced by political and social agendas. It is the student who is not interested in politics who is most susceptible to one sided messaging.

Yep, and increasingly thew paymasters are more right than left wing....

Btw it should be there not their :wink: