Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,231
Location: Oz

02 Jun 2019, 8:32 pm

Quote:
Extinction Rebellion (abbreviated as XR) is a socio-political movement which uses nonviolent resistance to protest against climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.[1][3][4]

Extinction Rebellion was established in the United Kingdom in May 2018 with about one hundred academics signing a call to action in support in October 2018,[5] and launched at the end of October by Roger Hallam, Gail Bradbrook, Simon Bramwell, and other activists from the campaign group Rising Up![6] In November 2018 various acts of civil disobedience were carried out in London.[7] In an ongoing action, in April 2019 XR occupied four prominent sites in central London: Oxford Circus, Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge and the area around Parliament Square.

Citing inspiration from grassroots movements such as Occupy, Gandhi's independence movement, the suffragettes, Martin Luther King and others in the civil rights movement, Extinction Rebellion wants to rally support worldwide around a common sense of urgency to tackle climate breakdown.[8][7] A large number of activists in the movement have pledged to be arrested, and even to go to prison,[9] similar to the mass arrest tactics of the Committee of 100 in 1961.

Its logo uses the circled hourglass extinction symbol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion


Kids.
With their endless quest/obsession for/with emotional satiation. <sigh>

But, wtf?
No violence? OMG! :mrgreen:


_________________
I'm a thinker. Some think I'm a stinker. Pepe le Pew. ;)
Down with big business!...
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:


shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2014
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,354

04 Jun 2019, 2:07 pm

Emotional satiation?

Also: where's the point in violence, when all that anyone really cares about is a disruption of commerce? And if they block oxford circus, they aren't damaging small business, they're just keeping tourists out of large department stores and annoy the s**t out of people trying to get to work in soho, which implies they work in advertising anyway.


_________________
I can read facial expressions. I did the test.


Twilightprincess
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,919

04 Jun 2019, 2:17 pm

I want to fight as long as it’s sword fighting with sticks. That’s always been my forte.

Talking about siblings in another thread is stirring up lots of memories...mostly of physical fights.



KikiKitty678
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2019
Age: 22
Posts: 286
Location: United States

10 Jun 2019, 9:35 am

Pepe wrote:
Quote:
Extinction Rebellion (abbreviated as XR) is a socio-political movement which uses nonviolent resistance to protest against climate breakdown, biodiversity loss, and the risk of human extinction and ecological collapse.[1][3][4]

Extinction Rebellion was established in the United Kingdom in May 2018 with about one hundred academics signing a call to action in support in October 2018,[5] and launched at the end of October by Roger Hallam, Gail Bradbrook, Simon Bramwell, and other activists from the campaign group Rising Up![6] In November 2018 various acts of civil disobedience were carried out in London.[7] In an ongoing action, in April 2019 XR occupied four prominent sites in central London: Oxford Circus, Marble Arch, Waterloo Bridge and the area around Parliament Square.

Citing inspiration from grassroots movements such as Occupy, Gandhi's independence movement, the suffragettes, Martin Luther King and others in the civil rights movement, Extinction Rebellion wants to rally support worldwide around a common sense of urgency to tackle climate breakdown.[8][7] A large number of activists in the movement have pledged to be arrested, and even to go to prison,[9] similar to the mass arrest tactics of the Committee of 100 in 1961.

Its logo uses the circled hourglass extinction symbol. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction_Rebellion


Kids.
With their endless quest/obsession for/with emotional satiation. <sigh>

But, wtf?
No violence? OMG! :mrgreen:


Emotional satiation? That may be part of it, but they're also fighting for a good reason. At least they want to save the planet.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,722
Location: Indiana

10 Jun 2019, 9:49 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
Emotional satiation? That may be part of it, but they're also fighting for a good reason. At least they want to save the planet.


Extinction Rebellion currently plans to shut down Heathrow Airport by flying drones around the airport. Now should one of these drones run into one of the planes, it can result in the downing of an aircraft and the loss of many lives. They are playing with fire and they don't care.



The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,502
Location: Reading, England

10 Jun 2019, 4:22 pm

I'm glad that XR are passionate about saving the planet. However, their entire existence is based on a misunderstanding of the IPCC's special report on 1.5 degrees. Of their three demands, one is meaningless (declaring an emergency), one is completely unrealistic and unnecessary (net zero by 2025), and one would not achieve the goal they desire (citizen's assemblies).



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,722
Location: Indiana

03 Aug 2019, 6:42 pm

Extinction Rebellion appears to be a well funded organization.

If verified, this confirms Extinction Rebellion is disturbingly flush and well-funded: over £1 million raised this year, half of it still unspent, according to the documents.

Major donors are said to include — inevitably — George Soros; Vivienne Westwood’s son Joe Corre (the saucy underwear and dildo tycoon, worth $48 million); the European Climate Foundation (which funnels money from far-left American philanthropic foundations to European climate projects); Greenpeace; the far-left Tides Foundation; and a little known Swiss asset management company, called Furka Holdings, founded by a banker with Russian links, which gave £50,000. Another of their previously revealed donors is the popular beat combo Radiohead.


Source: Soros on List of Mega-Rich Extinction Rebellion Backers

Also refer to: Is George Soros Funding Extinction Rebellion?



languagehopper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 15 Jun 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 74
Location: UK

07 Aug 2019, 1:13 pm

I envy them their energy and courage.

At least they are doing something instead of burying their heads in the sand pretending us innocent little humans couldn't possibly have such a large effect on the planet even though apparently some invisible man in the sky created us to be the masters and decide the fate of everything else on Earth. This unwillingness to accept responsibility and change comes from a failure to understand scale and unintended consequences and the complicated way systems work in equilibrium.

I wish I was brave enough to join them and get myself arrested in such a worthy cause.


_________________
Maybe if I learn enough languages I will understand humans one day.


jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,722
Location: Indiana

07 Aug 2019, 3:11 pm

That is assuming the Man-Made Global Warming theory is real. For the past 20 years since 1998, the global temperatures as recorded with the most accurate sensors, the satellites show that global temperatures have stagnated. This is despite the fact that Carbon Dioxide levels continues to rise over the past 2 decades.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,437
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

07 Aug 2019, 3:19 pm

jimmy m wrote:
That is assuming the Man-Made Global Warming theory is real. For the past 20 years since 1998, the global temperatures as recorded with the most accurate sensors, the satellites show that global temperatures have stagnated. This is despite the fact that Carbon Dioxide levels continues to rise over the past 2 decades.


Care to site a source for that.

Because I keep seeing a lot about arctic ice melting a lot faster than was predicted, the ice cannot melt if the global temperature isn't rising. So how do you explain that?

Also even if man made global warming was false(seems unlikely), even so its still not good for us to breath all that sh*t.


_________________
Who started the fire?...well, it certainly wasn't the millenials.


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,502
Location: Reading, England

07 Aug 2019, 3:36 pm

jimmy m wrote:
That is assuming the Man-Made Global Warming theory is real. For the past 20 years since 1998, the global temperatures as recorded with the most accurate sensors, the satellites show that global temperatures have stagnated. This is despite the fact that Carbon Dioxide levels continues to rise over the past 2 decades.

You are lying.

It was possible to argue, badly, that temperatures had "stalled" between 1997 or 1998 and 2011 or 2012, because 1997/98 was unusually hot due to well-understood natural cycles and 2011/12 was unusually cold for the same reasons, but there was still a clear warming trend - you had to deliberately cherry-pick 1997 as your starting year in order to mislead people.

It is simply a lie to say that the world has not warmed in the last 20 years. 2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 were all the hottest years on record*. 2017 and 2018 were both hotter than 2014 and 2019 is on course to be again. So eight of the ten hottest years have been in this decade (the others were 2005 and 1998 or 2002). 2016 was 0.3 degrees hotter than 1998 and every year since 2014 has been 0.15 degrees hotter.

The Hadley Centre's data is publicly viewable, as is NASA's data. There is no need to make things up or rely on what you read second hand, you can check for yourself.

* there are, of course, hotter years in the geological records



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,722
Location: Indiana

07 Aug 2019, 6:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
That is assuming the Man-Made Global Warming theory is real. For the past 20 years since 1998, the global temperatures as recorded with the most accurate sensors, the satellites show that global temperatures have stagnated. This is despite the fact that Carbon Dioxide levels continues to rise over the past 2 decades.


Care to site a source for that.


This is a link to the Lower Troposphere LT satellite temperature data. The first column is the year. The next is the month. The third column is the change in global temperatures related to the 1981-2010 average. This temperature difference is in degrees C.

The other columns break it down by land LT temperatures, ocean LT temperatures, NH = Northern Hemisphere, SH = Southern Hemisphere, Trcps = tropics, NoExt = Northern Extent, SoExt = Southern Extent, NoPol = North Polar region, etc.

The first satellite measurements were recorded in December 1978 and they continue to the present. You will notice that the global temperatures were negative and were increasing from 1978 to 1998. In April 1998 they reached +0.66 degrees C. And then temperatures leveled off. The only other times they exceed the +0.66 value was in February-April 2016

Source: UAH Global Temperature

It should be noted that both 1997-1998 and 2015-2016 were very strong El Niño years which were major temperature drivers.

Source: El Niño and La Niña Years and Intensities



Rainbow_Belle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 16 Jan 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 125
Location: Sydney

08 Aug 2019, 6:19 am

Conservatives and Big Corporations are doing nothing in regards to climate change. Activists must make more noise and protest and force the government to change and act on climate change now.



jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 71
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,722
Location: Indiana

09 Aug 2019, 8:21 am

Many have tried to compare Extinction Rebellion’s climate crusade with past movements for progressive change.

These comparisons are delusional, pretentious and insulting. But they unwittingly highlight something important. Whether it was the Chartists, the Suffragettes, the civil-rights movement, or the gay-rights movement, these genuinely progressive campaigns were all despised by the elite at the time. These were campaigns that sought to expand human freedom, to wrest rights and resources from the establishment. By contrast, environmentalist campaigns like Extinction Rebellion are, by their very nature, against freedom. They seek to place new limits on human activity: on industry, on economic growth, on our travel, on our diets, and on childbirth.

For many years, the great and the good have been in broad agreement that something must be done about climate change. But they also seem to agree that the bulk of the costs should not be shouldered by them. Only last week, celebrities, business leaders and politicians descended on Sicily for the 7th annual Google Camp, which this year was dedicated to tackling climate change. After arriving in their private jets, mega yachts and sports cars, delegates were treated to a lecture on climate change by Prince Harry, who delivered it in his bare feet. Earlier this year, 1,500 individual private jets flew to Davos. The highlight of the summit was a conversation between Prince William and Sir David Attenborough… on climate change.

The establishment only seems to care about ‘pollution’ when it is ordinary people doing the polluting. It is always cheap flights, cheap food and cheap fashion which cause the most consternation among environmentalists. In turn, climate change presents the establishment with an opportunity to manage the little people’s habits, tastes and aspirations.

Source: An establishment rebellion



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,231
Location: Oz

09 Aug 2019, 8:17 pm

languagehopper wrote:
I envy them their energy and courage.

At least they are doing something instead of burying their heads in the sand pretending us innocent little humans couldn't possibly have such a large effect on the planet even though apparently some invisible man in the sky created us to be the masters and decide the fate of everything else on Earth. This unwillingness to accept responsibility and change comes from a failure to understand scale and unintended consequences and the complicated way systems work in equilibrium.

I wish I was brave enough to join them and get myself arrested in such a worthy cause.


Here in Australia, we have some dumb "Extinction Rebellion" members.
They are young virtual signallers who enjoy being on the news.
They super-glue their hands on the road to stop traffic.
Bugger the police and ambulance response teams.
One person couldn't reach his dying father before he passed away because of the: "Look at me, look at me" crowd.

We were all young and dumb once, seduced by our emotional needs of existential verification and societal relevance and recognition.
Well, most of "us".
Typical neurotypical youthful behaviour. <shrug>

One of the head guys over here lives at home with his rich/well-to-do mummy and daddy, obviously doesn't have a job and is possibly abusing his "new start" obligations.
I'm guessing he is interested in impressing the "chicky-babes" so he can get a lay like rock-star celebrities. <shrug>

Well, he might as well sow his wild oats while he can, since I think he believes all human life on the planet will go extinct in 12 years time. <chuckle>
I don't have this delusion, btw. :wink:


_________________
I'm a thinker. Some think I'm a stinker. Pepe le Pew. ;)
Down with big business!...
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen: