Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 4:29 pm

so... I've watched Reza Aslan's Believer and there's something not mentioned in comments I read about the show - it's been heavily critized for depicting religious fringe movements, making it all into a sort of freak show.
The criticism is not wrong, the first episode starts off with a literally outcaste hindu sect, the aghori, who do all sorts of disgusting and taboo breaking and frankly, wildly unhygienic things in the wildly unhygienic environment of today's india.
However, Aslan focusses on aspects of community and broader spiritual experience, which he finds in these fringe groups, besides the overall craziness.

But one thing struck me, particularly about the first episode: Aslan states to have found "the hinduism he was looking for" in a school run by an aghori, who rejects the notion of caste and spiritual pollution and social order that pervades hinduism.
so... I was thinking: basically, Aslan could only find "the hinduism he was looking for" in a small modern-minded subset of an outcaste sect which is not recognized by mainstream hiduism. Is it fair to say, that the hinduism Aslan was looking for is not hinduism at all, but modernity with some remainders of spirituality?

and to go from there: is it fair to judge a religion only by its "good" aspects, and not by the society it creates?
In case of hinduism, the society is intensely stratified, racist and sexist.
sure, it provides community, but so does my bowling-team. spirituality- certainly, but I can roll a joint and feel one with the universe, too.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 4:49 pm

I had never heard of Reza Aslan before this show, which I watch when it's on (because I have CNN running in the background while I work.) I don't enjoy the show. I don't really care for him and am unmoved by his enthusiasm.

With regard to religious practices that are disturbing, I would put circumcision as one of the worst.

Anyway ... Bring back Anthony Bourdain.