Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 6:50 pm

So I guess WW3 is officially going to happen and I feel nauseous about dying. I always wanted to "get married and have kids" and all that but I guess I can't. I feel tricked. I never got to establish myself in the world.

I would rather die and see nothing, than go onto a second life. Seeing nothing may suck a little, but it seems a little better than living in another life.

Can anyone reassure me why WW3 won't happen or won't result in the annihilation of humanity?

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 7:52 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
Can anyone reassure me why WW3...won't result in the annihilation of humanity?

Because one of the losers doing the fighting will still be a winner.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 7:59 pm

What's your point you are making?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 8:01 pm

You won't die and see nothing. You won't be able to see anything because you'll be dead.

I hate the planet and everyone on it. f**k THE HUMAN RACE IT'S NOTHING BUT A STEAMING PILE OF s**t!!

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 8:12 pm

I don't think this is going to happen, we have a very advanced diplomacy nowadays, and a extremely connected economy. For historical reasons, maybe the future could call this series of conflict a world war, but I don't really think the conflict will spread world wide, specially to the main developed countries.

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2017, 9:20 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
What's your point you are making?

No "annihilation of humanity" as long as one loser or another wins.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 3:54 am

My dad says WW3 has always supposedly been going to happen any day now since he was a little kid. Along with other doomsday end of the world stuff like Y2K and 2012 etc.

But anyways there's no indication that the United States, Russia and China are going to start nuking each other anytime soon.

If you're worried about little flyspeck North Korea and its little pipsqueak dictator, don't be. Yes there's a slim possibly he might nuke Hawaii or an even slimmer chance of him nuking somewhere on the west coast. But that's as far as he'd get before being annihilated by the US and or China.

I personally would only be nervous if I lived in Korea.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 8:50 am

EzraS wrote:
My dad says WW3 has always supposedly been going to happen any day now since he was a little kid. Along with other doomsday end of the world stuff like Y2K and 2012 etc.

I can confirm his memories.

1950's Public Service announcement

We actually had those drills in school where we hid under the desk. Even then I knew in a real nuclear war this would be
useless.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 10:30 am

Well since my dad was born in the 70's it definitely predates when he was a little.

It's a real shame they would scare kids that way. Especially since the duck and cover method wouldn't save anyone from an atomic blast.

There's only one way to survive one of those things:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 12:42 pm

Quote:
We actually had those drills in school where we hid under the desk. Even then I knew in a real nuclear war this would be useless.

I think, we did once a month, in the 80's, and once a year, in the 90's.

Duck-and-cover is presumably useful, in that a shockwave travels well outside the area of immediate danger. It's intended to be effective against flying debris, not fission.

(Yes, I know that it's something unusual to post.)

I knew a librarian and could have my pick of the extra books; he had entire walls made of them. In the old discussions on the nuclear scare, Bikini Islanders were under the fallout, and still lived to tell about it. It was considered going AWOL, for the citizens to flee the population centers, because it was a patriotic duty, to be conscripted, into the rebuilding efforts.

They wanted Americans to look forward to a better tomorrow, and foreigners to accept their fate.

In propaganda, there was always a secret weapon, and it's worse effect was probably psychological.

I have recently heard of a antimatter, singlets which destroy the whole solar system and/or universe(Thanks AJ), a device which makes you think it's the voice of God in your head, and some bioagent that makes the men want to have sex with eachother. FUNVAX was supposed to make the terrorist lose their religious, inclinations.

I'm not encouraging people to take unnecessary risks, just think that some of these are actually weapons, against morale.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 2:39 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Quote:
We actually had those drills in school where we hid under the desk. Even then I knew in a real nuclear war this would be useless.

I think, we did once a month, in the 80's, and once a year, in the 90's.

There was a big WWIII nuclear war fear in the 80's. Popular nuclear disaster TV movies such as The Day After, Threads, songs such as "Red Sky at Dawn", and "I Melt With You", and The Nuclear Freeze movement

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2017, 6:52 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I can confirm his memories.

1950's Public Service announcement

We actually had those drills in school where we hid under the desk. Even then I knew in a real nuclear war this would be
useless.

In 1945 World War Two ended, and two things simultaneously began:the Atomic Age, and the Cold War rivalry between the USA and the USSR.

So by the 1950's American school kids had to do the "get under your desk" drills because of the new fear of nuclear war.

By the mid Sixties things had calmed down. The good news was that Cold War tensions between the Superpowers had eased somewhat so WWIII wasnt considered so imminent, and the bad news was that if it DID happen the fusion bombs they had by then were so much more powerful, and so much more numerous in the arsenal, than the fission bombs that they had earlier that drills would do no good anyway( we would all die even with the drills). So in most American school systems they quietly phased out the nuclear drills. Though apparently some school systems still did them until then end of the Cold War in circa 1990.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 2:48 am

For a world war it is still pretty mellow thus far, seems like more of an impending WW3 but I don't think it has started quite yet. Perhaps a post apocalyptic situation can come true...meh what else is there to do but fantasize about that...I'd rather survive the initial destruction and still likely die younger than older whilst trying to endure post apocalyptic living than be killed in an initial blast....hopefully my part of colorado I live in is not a major target.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 3:40 am

"The Chinese government have also warned that should war break out, it would be Pyongyang [capitol of N. Korea] that would suffer most."
http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/796 ... uclear-war

Like I keep saying, I'd only be personally concerned about getting nuked if I lived in N. Korea.

I'm pretty sure if Kim Jong-un launches a nuclear missile at the United States, first of all it would probably fail, and then he would be obliterated in a counter strike about 10 seconds later. The US and China wouldn't even need to use nukes to take out Pyongyang and Kim-Jong-un. And I think it's likely that China could take over N. Korea without much difficulty.

My little prediction is Kim-Jong-un is going to be taken out and it will be an inside job by those who don't want to get barbecued and or invaded.

Last edited by EzraS on 05 May 2017, 3:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 3:49 am

EzraS wrote:
"The Chinese government have also warned that should war break out, it would be Pyongyang [capitol of N. Korea] that would suffer most."

Like I keep saying, I'd only be personally concerned about this if I lived in N. Korea.

Or Japan

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2017, 3:54 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Like I keep saying, I'd only be personally concerned about this if I lived in N. Korea.

Or Japan

Good point. I forgot about US military bases there.