Antifa - freedom fighters, necessary evil, terrorists?

Page 3 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:26 pm

It's a cut and paste because you've seen it on a website and can point us to it or because he said something you disagree with without misspelling every third word?

Also - waving the black and red block doesn't make their political beliefs any sort of secret, unless it's not the claim that their communist which is bothering you. If that's the case you'd need to tell us what he's got completely backward, either to constitute it as a hate rant or why he's wrong to hate communism - whichever is applicable.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 1:33 pm

marshall wrote:
Now is adifferentname going to call out this outrageously hysterical example of paranoid right-wing identity politics, complete with all the ubiquitous right-wing buzzwords and newspeak? Or is criticism only reserved for "leftists"?

Are you going to have a crack at refuting the claims made, or are you choosing to stick with "outrageously hysterical example of paranoid right-wing identity politics"?

You could start by asking for definitions for "the duplicitous Left", as it's unclear whether or not this is levelled at a specific type of "leftist" or if it's aimed at all "leftists". From context, it seems as if he's specifically referring to those who pursue a Marxist ideology, but you could probably still squeeze a complaint in there with nary a mention of Scotsmen.

The other mention of "Leftists" contains a specific qualifier "when [they] assault others to oppress and silence", so I'm not sure what possible criticism you could have here.

As for "right-wing buzzwords", you'll have to address each case in which you believe you've identified one on its merits.

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I wouldn't if I were him. Talking facts and details is approachable, refuting amorphous blanket labels with a kaleidoscope of shifting definitions is impossible.

Implausible maybe. It would require some rather intense interrogation, and would in practise be roughly as difficult as trying to make a 100 foot rope out of live eels.

Quote:
If that's the case you'd need to tell us what he's got completely backward, either to constitute it as a hate rant or why he's wrong to hate communism - whichever is applicable.

Quite so.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 2:17 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
It's a cut and paste because you've seen it on a website and can point us to it or because he said something you disagree with without misspelling every third word?

Because it is obviously copy/pasted, complete with un-referenced quotes and claims. I'd be an idiot to take hours out of my life to go in and fact check the thing when he gives absolutely zero references.

Quote:
Also - waving the black and red block doesn't make their political beliefs any sort of secret, unless it's not the claim that their communist which is bothering you. If that's the case you'd need to tell us what he's got completely backward, either to constitute it as a hate rant or why he's wrong to hate communism - whichever is applicable.

I'm not afraid of "commies" because they have zero political power in the US. It's also funny when people only condemn the "guilt-by-association" argument when it's used by the left against Trump.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 2:46 pm

I also think the far-left "street action" wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't feed off the political reality that the true left are not allowed any kind of legitimate political representation in our money-dominated two party system. In an era where the political right labels any kind of government provided/assisted universal healthcare system "communist", and even Democrats shut down solutions that would be considered center-right anywhere else in the world, a lot of people feel hopeless. When the rich keep getting richer even as the poor get poorer, the radical-left at least see the real culprit. Their "solution" may be horrible, but at least they see reality. The radical-right would rather make up whimsical conspiracy theories rooted in the same old 20th century nonsense that just refuses to go away.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:01 pm

So in other words it's a legitimate move, by the current politically disenfranchised, to overthrow the corporatists, neocons, and neolibs in the more authoritarian/plutocratic strata of the center?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:22 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
So in other words it's a legitimate move, by the current politically disenfranchised, to overthrow the corporatists, neocons, and neolibs in the more authoritarian/plutocratic strata of the center?

I don't think it's legitimate. I don't agree with either their violent methods or their utopian ideology.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 3:34 pm

I'm going to perhaps microscope in on the Mark Blythe view of this:

The west is getting radicalized, ie. left and right, and getting spun towards demagogues on either end by carrying the weight of a salary class whose been proclaiming the moral superiority of globalism, all the while the working class are watching their spending power vanish, their hourly income even get cut in half, and they're sliding from middle-middle or lower-middle class down toward or past the poverty line while the salary class keeps going on their merry way, signing global trade deals, and living quite comfortably for it.

I think there's a valid grievance to be had there, at least to the extent that such measures to gain cheaper labor, 1st-world fast-track the developing world came with no backup plan on how things would be done differently to keep the west from economically and culturally imploding.

What I don't see though is how, in any way shape or form, AntiFa is anything more than an inarticulate reaction of the worst kind - ie. instead of discussing the economics they're out looking under rocks for nazis or people who they can fashion into calling nazis. If they have any major successes in taking us where they'd want to go it would be the kind of Egyptian darkness that's being enjoyed in Venezuela right now. I mean, could the same disgruntled people get behind Musk, Zuckerberg, Gates, et. al. on UBI or some other measures to keep the poor and increasingly automation-displaced from essentially starving to death or losing every appendage and boil-free stretch of skin from untreated diabetes?

It seems like we do have some very critical issues to be discussed here, unfortunately we're too busy right now trying to hash out what constitutes a communist or fascist. The week before that we were too busy talking about what constitutes a male, female, or - if somewhere in between - what the appropriate categorization is. Our ability to stay on message with the country's emerging economic issues has been truly awful.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 4:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm going to perhaps microscope in on the Mark Blythe view of this:

The west is getting radicalized, ie. left and right, and getting spun towards demagogues on either end by carrying the weight of a salary class whose been proclaiming the moral superiority of globalism, all the while the working class are watching their spending power vanish, their hourly income even get cut in half, and they're sliding from middle-middle or lower-middle class down toward or past the poverty line while the salary class keeps going on their merry way, signing global trade deals, and living quite comfortably for it.

I think there's a valid grievance to be had there, at least to the extent that such measures to gain cheaper labor, 1st-world fast-track the developing world came with no backup plan on how things would be done differently to keep the west from economically and culturally imploding.

What I don't see though is how, in any way shape or form, AntiFa is anything more than an inarticulate reaction of the worst kind - ie. instead of discussing the economics they're out looking under rocks for nazis or people who they can fashion into calling nazis. If they have any major successes in taking us where they'd want to go it would be the kind of Egyptian darkness that's being enjoyed in Venezuela right now. I mean, could the same disgruntled people get behind Musk, Zuckerberg, Gates, et. al. on UBI or some other measures to keep the poor and increasingly automation-displaced from essentially starving to death or losing every appendage and boil-free stretch of skin from untreated diabetes?

It seems like we do have some very critical issues to be discussed here, unfortunately we're too busy right now trying to hash out what constitutes a communist or fascist. The week before that we were too busy talking about what constitutes a male, female, or - if somewhere in between - what the appropriate categorization is. Our ability to stay on message with the country's emerging economic issues has been truly awful.

I'm on the same page here. It seems like people decide to chase these distractions because they feel like they can't do anything about the real elephant in the room.

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 4:35 pm

A few days ago, while I was on a Percocet-induced spell of insanity, my argument for Antifa was that we should accept all enemies of the biggest enemy in the room, and that refusal to do so equated to siding with the biggest enemy in the room.

Yeah, that was a big load of BS on my part.

Add in that I knew very little about Antifa until a couple of days ago. Now my opinion has changed. I now soberly believe Antifa and white supremists should be isolated on an island, armed, and forced to battle it out without getting anybody else involved. Make it a worldwide pay-per-view event, and it could result in a budget surplus for the USA.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 6:38 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
Now my opinion has changed. I now soberly believe Antifa and white supremists should be isolated on an island, armed, and forced to battle it out without getting anybody else involved. Make it a worldwide pay-per-view event, and it could result in a budget surplus for the USA.

JasmineConradd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Aug 2017, 5:07 am

I would join the protest

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 10:37 am

KagamineLen wrote:
I now soberly believe Antifa and white supremists should be isolated on an island, armed, and forced to battle it out without getting anybody else involved. Make it a worldwide pay-per-view event, and it could result in a budget surplus for the USA.

I have fantasized about this scenario more than a few times. The ratings would be great.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 3:37 pm

KagamineLen wrote:
A few days ago, while I was on a Percocet-induced spell of insanity, my argument for Antifa was that we should accept all enemies of the biggest enemy in the room, and that refusal to do so equated to siding with the biggest enemy in the room.

Add in that I knew very little about Antifa until a couple of days ago. Now my opinion has changed. I now soberly believe Antifa and white supremists should be isolated on an island, armed, and forced to battle it out without getting anybody else involved. Make it a worldwide pay-per-view event, and it could result in a budget surplus for the USA.

In what ways Antifa is so bad?

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 4:41 pm

Tollorin wrote:
KagamineLen wrote:

In what ways Antifa is so bad?

Because their tactics make them little more than the opposite side of the Nazi coin.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 7:23 pm

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2017, 7:47 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:

The text and art go together quite well.