Why do all white males get judged for privilege?

Page 2 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 11:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
What racist beliefs?

We'll start with the belief that white people are born into original sin. Or, absent hyperbole, we can go with the long-established definition of racism:

"A belief that one’s own racial or ethnic group is superior, or that other such groups represent a threat to one's cultural identity, racial integrity, or economic well-being; (also) a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated."

"White privilege" is a racist concept. Period.

Quote:
That I simply pointed out that percentage wise, more blacks are killed by cops than whites?

As an argument in support of "white privilege".

Quote:
By the way, I am a white guy, so...

"By the way, I have a black friend, so..."

Yes, you can be racist against your own race.

Quote:
And what's your argument? That too much attention is payed to blacks being shot by the police?

If you can't discern what my argument is, perhaps you should take longer to gather your thoughts prior to posting.

Quote:
By the way, the only political cult these days is the cult of the orange orangutan.

"My in-group is pure! It's my out-group you need to look out for! They're all wrong-uns!"

If you seriously believe you belong to a special ideological demographic that's immune to being swept up in the wake of a personality cult, you're potentially far more dangerous than any Trump supporter, including (perhaps especially) the ultra-minority of actual white supremacists who rightly encounter near universal scorn from virtually everyone who is not a white supremacist (i.e. virtually everyone).

Infantile identity politics played a huge role in Trump's rise to power. It's way past time everyone grew up and recognised this.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 6:22 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SH90 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And yet it's non-white drivers being stopped all the time.

White people get pulled over all the time and sometimes get shot, in fact more so then blacks... You just don't hear about them on the news; because no one cares.

Percentage wise, black killing-by-cop is more numerous.
And nobody cares about whites being killed by cops? Sure, I'll give you that, but even fewer cared about the number of blacks killed.

Yeah that’s why any black getting shot by a cop even if there’s clear evidence he black person caused it becomes national news and has violent protests, all because few people care. People protest in Portland over a incident that happen in southern state. Seems lots of people care.

According to he liberal Washington post. 446 non white people were killed by cops in 2017 , while 457 white people were. Of the 446, 223 were black. Nearly half as many black people are killed by cops as white people it seems. This from again a left leaning liberal anti cop news source. Songiven twice a season many whites are kille how is black killed by cops higher percentage wise? Numbers are similar in both 2016 and 2015.
Also around 250 each year killed by cops have a mental illness. Similar to the blacks killed. Where’s the protests for them? Guess we aspies are just as likely to be killed by a cop as black people. Are we still privileged?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2017/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2016/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... shootings/

No one's saying every black person shot by police was an innocent victim. That said, more than enough whites in similar circumstances of being law breakers are not shot, no matter how belligerent they behave.

Twice as many whites are shot then black people. So how in the world do you come to that conclusion.

Data shows more whites killed then blacks.
Yet yiu say it’s the opposite that more blacks are killed then whites. 0.o I didn’t think you were that biased. data shows twice as many whites are killed aka shot by cops, which blows up you whole more blacks are killed by cops then whites. And being from the source it is it’s probably biased so I wouldn’t be surprised if even more whites are killed then blacks then what they show. I’d thought they’d rigged it to show the opposite.

Again, it's the percentage of blacks killed by cops, in regard to their smaller population numbers compared to the white population. Taking that into consideration, numbers of blacks killed by cops are greater than those of whites.

0.000559% for blacks
0.000196% of whites
0.033333% of being struck by lighting.
We are far more likely to be stricken by lighting but most people don’t worry about it.
So as a black person they 0.000363% more likely to be shot by a cop. It’s not a whole lot more likely.

We aren’t even talking about 1% here

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 9:51 pm

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
SH90 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And yet it's non-white drivers being stopped all the time.

White people get pulled over all the time and sometimes get shot, in fact more so then blacks... You just don't hear about them on the news; because no one cares.

Percentage wise, black killing-by-cop is more numerous.
And nobody cares about whites being killed by cops? Sure, I'll give you that, but even fewer cared about the number of blacks killed.

Yeah that’s why any black getting shot by a cop even if there’s clear evidence he black person caused it becomes national news and has violent protests, all because few people care. People protest in Portland over a incident that happen in southern state. Seems lots of people care.

According to he liberal Washington post. 446 non white people were killed by cops in 2017 , while 457 white people were. Of the 446, 223 were black. Nearly half as many black people are killed by cops as white people it seems. This from again a left leaning liberal anti cop news source. Songiven twice a season many whites are kille how is black killed by cops higher percentage wise? Numbers are similar in both 2016 and 2015.
Also around 250 each year killed by cops have a mental illness. Similar to the blacks killed. Where’s the protests for them? Guess we aspies are just as likely to be killed by a cop as black people. Are we still privileged?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2017/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... ings-2016/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics ... shootings/

No one's saying every black person shot by police was an innocent victim. That said, more than enough whites in similar circumstances of being law breakers are not shot, no matter how belligerent they behave.

Twice as many whites are shot then black people. So how in the world do you come to that conclusion.

Data shows more whites killed then blacks.
Yet yiu say it’s the opposite that more blacks are killed then whites. 0.o I didn’t think you were that biased. data shows twice as many whites are killed aka shot by cops, which blows up you whole more blacks are killed by cops then whites. And being from the source it is it’s probably biased so I wouldn’t be surprised if even more whites are killed then blacks then what they show. I’d thought they’d rigged it to show the opposite.

Again, it's the percentage of blacks killed by cops, in regard to their smaller population numbers compared to the white population. Taking that into consideration, numbers of blacks killed by cops are greater than those of whites.

0.000559% for blacks
0.000196% of whites
0.033333% of being struck by lighting.
We are far more likely to be stricken by lighting but most people don’t worry about it.
So as a black person they 0.000363% more likely to be shot by a cop. It’s not a whole lot more likely.

We aren’t even talking about 1% here

But when it does happen, it's very conspicuous. And that doesn't count the times cops falsely arrest and hassle blacks. And yes I know, it does happen to whites, too.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2018, 10:05 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What racist beliefs?

We'll start with the belief that white people are born into original sin. Or, absent hyperbole, we can go with the long-established definition of racism:

"A belief that one’s own racial or ethnic group is superior, or that other such groups represent a threat to one's cultural identity, racial integrity, or economic well-being; (also) a belief that the members of different racial or ethnic groups possess specific characteristics, abilities, or qualities, which can be compared and evaluated."

Quote:
That I simply pointed out that percentage wise, more blacks are killed by cops than whites?

Quote:

Quote:
And what's your argument? That too much attention is payed to blacks being shot by the police?

If you can't discern what my argument is, perhaps you should take longer to gather your thoughts prior to posting.

Quote:
By the way, the only political cult these days is the cult of the orange orangutan.

"My in-group is pure! It's my out-group you need to look out for! They're all wrong-uns!"

If you seriously believe you belong to a special ideological demographic that's immune to being swept up in the wake of a personality cult, you're potentially far more dangerous than any Trump supporter, including (perhaps especially) the ultra-minority of actual white supremacists who rightly encounter near universal scorn from virtually everyone who is not a white supremacist (i.e. virtually everyone).

Infantile identity politics played a huge role in Trump's rise to power. It's way past time everyone grew up and recognised this.

That's gotta be about the stupidest argument for me being a racist I've ever read! (If you want to b***h to the mods that I called you stupid, be my guest.)
If anything, Trump won in large part due to playing up to the identity politics of whites who realize they're losing ground economically and socially. But instead of blaming those who are really responsible for that - big corporations who cut wages and benefits, and off shore jobs to the third world out of love for money over country - they blame those who have it worse than themselves; namely immigrants both legal and illegal, racial minorities, poor people on public assistance, etc. Trump didn't create the lie that there wasn't enough prosperity to go around, and that the "other" were hoarding all that prosperity at the white working people's expense, but he definitely played up to this pre-existing lie.
As far as original sin goes - I'm a Lutheran, so you can bet I know it's part of the human condition for everyone, equally. So no, I'm not singling out white people alone.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What racist beliefs?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's gotta be about the stupidest argument for me being a racist I've ever read!

"Suggesting I have racist beliefs just because I promote racist ideas is stupid".

If you stop supporting racist ideas I'll refrain from pointing out that you support racist ideas.

Quote:
(If you want to b***h to the mods that I called you stupid, be my guest.)

Are you saying that you intended to call me stupid? If so, it goes a long way to explaining the problem you have understanding other people's posts, as you didn't communicate that very effectively. Next time try "you're stupid" rather than "your argument is stupid" (especially if you can't actually provide a counter-argument or if you then neglect to explain what part you think of as "stupid").

Quote:
If anything, Trump won in large part due to playing up to the identity politics of whites who realize they're losing ground economically and socially.

See "Infantile identity politics". Also see "They're all wrong-uns". Thus far you're broadly in alignment with my "stupid" arguments, though we differ on our perception of the relevance of 'white identity'.

Quote:
But instead of blaming those who are really responsible for that - big corporations who cut wages and benefits, and off shore jobs to the third world out of love for money over country - they blame those who have it worse than themselves; namely immigrants both legal and illegal, racial minorities, poor people on public assistance, etc.

"Rather than address any of the points you made, I'm going to launch into a rant about those horrible people in my out-group again and hope you won't notice"

I don't care about your partisan squabble with Republicans - hypothetical, straw or otherwise - and I give your opinion of them as much credence as I'd give to their perception of Democrats - which is to say little-to-none. Even if they're performing witchcraft and eating babies, it doesn't justify the promotion of racist ideas.

Quote:
Trump didn't create the lie that there wasn't enough prosperity to go around, and that the "other" were hoarding all that prosperity at the white working people's expense, but he definitely played up to this pre-existing lie.

Likewise, I'm not interested in your beef with the POTUS. You might want to consider writing him a letter.

Quote:
As far as original sin goes - I'm a Lutheran, so you can bet I know it's part of the human condition for everyone, equally. So no, I'm not singling out white people alone.

Nor do I care about your faith, though I'd have far less of a problem if you were spouting religious doctrine rather than pseudo-religious dogma.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 4:09 am

white_as_snow wrote:
I agree that white guys in western europe, north america and south europe have a privilege.

But in what way do white guys in eastern europe have a privilege? Their nations are very poor, they have a history of being opressed for 500 years by non-white turkish ottoman empire and communist-russia. In what way do white guys in east europe have a privilege?

This talk about "all white males have a privilege" is not true when we take a look at east europeans.

I have only heard 'white privilege' being used in specific situations where it may seem appropriate, but I have never heard anyone say 'all white males have privilege'

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 7:04 am

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What racist beliefs?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's gotta be about the stupidest argument for me being a racist I've ever read!

"Suggesting I have racist beliefs just because I promote racist ideas is stupid".

If you stop supporting racist ideas I'll refrain from pointing out that you support racist ideas.

Quote:
(If you want to b***h to the mods that I called you stupid, be my guest.)

Are you saying that you intended to call me stupid? If so, it goes a long way to explaining the problem you have understanding other people's posts, as you didn't communicate that very effectively. Next time try "you're stupid" rather than "your argument is stupid" (especially if you can't actually provide a counter-argument or if you then neglect to explain what part you think of as "stupid").

Quote:
If anything, Trump won in large part due to playing up to the identity politics of whites who realize they're losing ground economically and socially.

See "Infantile identity politics". Also see "They're all wrong-uns". Thus far you're broadly in alignment with my "stupid" arguments, though we differ on our perception of the relevance of 'white identity'.

Quote:
But instead of blaming those who are really responsible for that - big corporations who cut wages and benefits, and off shore jobs to the third world out of love for money over country - they blame those who have it worse than themselves; namely immigrants both legal and illegal, racial minorities, poor people on public assistance, etc.

"Rather than address any of the points you made, I'm going to launch into a rant about those horrible people in my out-group again and hope you won't notice"

I don't care about your partisan squabble with Republicans - hypothetical, straw or otherwise - and I give your opinion of them as much credence as I'd give to their perception of Democrats - which is to say little-to-none. Even if they're performing witchcraft and eating babies, it doesn't justify the promotion of racist ideas.

Quote:
Trump didn't create the lie that there wasn't enough prosperity to go around, and that the "other" were hoarding all that prosperity at the white working people's expense, but he definitely played up to this pre-existing lie.

Likewise, I'm not interested in your beef with the POTUS. You might want to consider writing him a letter.

Quote:

Nor do I care about your faith, though I'd have far less of a problem if you were spouting religious doctrine rather than pseudo-religious dogma.

Denying white privilege is in itself racist. Addressing it is not racism against whites.
And pseudo-religious dogma? Pick up a book on Protestant theology. And the real thing, not that fundie/holy roller crap.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 7:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Denying white privilege is in itself racist.

Demonstrate how. Provide something resembling a vague logical progression. Include an explanation as to how one individual white woman drawing solely on her own subjective experiences can propose widespread generalisations about people based solely on the colour of their skin without it being racist.

Quote:
And pseudo-religious dogma? Pick up a book on Protestant theology.

Again you fail at basic comprehension. Should I be concerned for you, Bill? Do I need to break everything down into bite-size chunks and make aeroplane sounds as I feed them to you on a spoon?

Or is it that you're so wrapped up in identity politics that you'll deliberately ram a crowbar into anything you believe you can plausibly misrepresent, prying it all out of shape in order to increase your standing in the economy of victimhood?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 8:08 am

This is why the left is dying it used to be working class people standing up for working class people now its middle class people calling working class men privileged. I am a white man living in western Europe I have never had a privileged position within my society, people look at upper class men and see their privilege and associate that with all men its stupid.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 8:33 am

Daniel89 wrote:
This is why the left is dying it used to be working class people standing up for working class people now its middle class people calling working class men privileged. I am a white man living in western Europe I have never had a privileged position within my society, people look at upper class men and see their privilege and associate that with all men its stupid.

I wouldn't say you don't have privileges, but they're the privileges that come with being in a nation that has an objectively higher standard of living than at any time in history (or than the majority of current, less-developed nations), and yet that alone is not a marker for success, a protection against hardship or a guarantee of security, well-being, happiness, etc.

I will summarily reject any ideology or faction which, as a core tenet, holds to the idea that we should sacrifice the rights of the smallest minority - the individual - in favour of the rights of a collective. To do otherwise is to reject liberalism.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 8:47 am

adifferentname wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

I wouldn't say you don't have privileges, but they're the privileges that come with being in a nation that has an objectively higher standard of living than at any time in history (or than the majority of current, less-developed nations), and yet that alone is not a marker for success, a protection against hardship or a guarantee of security, well-being, happiness, etc.

I will summarily reject any ideology or faction which, as a core tenet, holds to the idea that we should sacrifice the rights of the smallest minority - the individual - in favour of the rights of a collective. To do otherwise is to reject liberalism.

That's why I said Within my society and not globally, by global standards all of us on this forum are privileged.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 8:59 am

Daniel89 wrote:
That's why I said Within my society and not globally, by global standards all of us on this forum are privileged.

Yep. We've all some form of access to the internet for one thing.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:04 pm

adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Demonstrate how. Provide something resembling a vague logical progression. Include an explanation as to how one individual white woman drawing solely on her own subjective experiences can propose widespread generalisations about people based solely on the colour of their skin without it being racist.

Quote:

Again you fail at basic comprehension. Should I be concerned for you, Bill? Do I need to break everything down into bite-size chunks and make aeroplane sounds as I feed them to you on a spoon?

Or is it that you're so wrapped up in identity politics that you'll deliberately ram a crowbar into anything you believe you can plausibly misrepresent, prying it all out of shape in order to increase your standing in the economy of victimhood?

Because you deny the obvious - whites will more likely be hired than blacks or Latinos, will be regarded as less criminal, will be less likely stopped by the police, will be less likely accused of getting a job through Affirmative Action, etc, etc, etc. You seem to be insisting that racial minorities get an equal shake by society as do whites, which would mean that they are all less intelligent, and less capable, all the while being less law abiding than whites if it were true. That is clearly racist.
To admit to the existence of white privilege hardly means that all whites have all the success in the world, because too many white working people are falling behind. But more blacks and Latinos face lack of opportunity, and face suspicion than whites.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
adifferentname wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Quote:

Because you deny the obvious - whites will more likely be hired than blacks or Latinos, will be regarded as less criminal, will be less likely stopped by the police, will be less likely accused of getting a job through Affirmative Action, etc, etc, etc. You seem to be insisting that racial minorities get an equal shake by society as do whites, which would mean that they are all less intelligent, and less capable, all the while being less law abiding than whites if it were true. That is clearly racist.
To admit to the existence of white privilege hardly means that all whites have all the success in the world, because too many white working people are falling behind. But more blacks and Latinos face lack of opportunity, and face suspicion than whites.

Good post. You'll only make the mouth breathers angry though. They like to fume & rage at statements and headlines, being asked to look deeper than that at the nuances of life will only make then stamp their feet and get mad.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Affirmative action is a privileged enshrined into law, if ethnic minorities do not like people assuming they only got the job because of it then they should speak against it.

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2018, 3:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Because you deny the obvious

Citation needed.

Quote:
- whites will more likely be hired than blacks or Latinos, will be regarded as less criminal, will be less likely stopped by the police, will be less likely accused of getting a job through Affirmative Action, etc, etc, etc. You seem to be insisting that racial minorities get an equal shake by society as do whites, which would mean that they are all less intelligent, and less capable, all the while being less law abiding than whites if it were true.

That is clearly racist.

No, Bill. That is clearly a whopping strawman, seasoned with ad hominem and wrapped in yet more moronic identity fluff. It's also a transparent evasion of the challenge which I posited, as well as a redundant exercise in demonstrating your inability to understand my perspective in light of the fact you've already admitted as much.

You haven't got any principles upon which to stand, only a flimsy platform built on the backs of minorities you claim to care so deeply for - yet your interest in them seems to extend only as far as their usefulness as a tool with which you can weakly flail at people in the vain hope that they'll stop pointing out the gaping holes in your arguments.

Quote:
To admit to the existence of white privilege hardly means that all whites have all the success in the world, because too many white working people are falling behind.

They're falling behind because they have immutable privilege? I couldn't possibly come up with a more apt analogy for cognitive dissonance if I tried. That you can even type the above without taking the next logical step of realising that de-collectivising privilege doesn't in any way impact any minorities, whilst simultaneously explaining the widespread existence of unsuccessful white people in Western nations, is genuinely staggering.

Quote:
But more blacks and Latinos face lack of opportunity, and face suspicion than whites.

Won't someone please think of the children!

Now, about that demonstration I asked for? If your position is as self-evidently true as you claim it to be, I expect you'll have no trouble at all providing a response to my objection of the racist position you're defending.